The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Nov 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #498 of 5,999
Guys, I'm sorry to read that some prefer the coax spdif output. I don't believe it's possible now. It's just too darn big and will probably raise concerns about ugliness again :frowning2:

We plan to put in an optical spdif out, in a combo with the 3.5 mm headphone jack. We picked out a part that will do 192 kHz

Michael

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #499 of 5,999
Quote:
Guys, I'm sorry to read that some prefer the coax spdif output. I don't believe it's possible now. It's just too darn big and will probably raise concerns about ugliness again :frowning2:

We plan to put in an optical spdif out, in a combo with the 3.5 mm headphone jack. We picked out a part that will do 192 kHz

Michael

Michael, that works for me, man.

I have a lot of DACs around my home and office at any given time, and with both the CLAS and HP-P1, I sometimes use my iPod and iPhone as transports with those DACs (as opposed to having to move around a large transport from DAC to DAC).

That you've picked a part that'll do 192 kHz out of optical is tres groovy.

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #500 of 5,999
"Some" pretty much constitutes consensus opinion here.  A dedicated 3.5 mm coax SPDIF connector would be much preferred over another headphone and an optical SPDIF combo jack.

See some existing adapter cable offerings:

http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-digital-cables/black-dragon-75-ohm-mini-coax-digital-cable-for-the-hifiman-player.html

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=75&zenid=drgni6np4pl3s272i7a4aicjl6

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #501 of 5,999
Quote:

Michael

Awesome, Thanks!

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #502 of 5,999
Quote:

Michael

That's Great news.

Thanks, Michael and The CEntrance Crew.

You're The Best!

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #503 of 5,999
While I'd prefer Coax it's still good news. Won't make it look ugly and just adds features others will use. Plus, combo jacks are just cool. :D

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #504 of 5,999
The optical output makes the M8 really hard to resist 
bigsmile_face.gif
. I just sent a preorder email to CEntrance 10 hours ago and hope there're still some slots available. Waiting for the reply
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #505 of 5,999
Quote:
Sorry if this question is noobish.  

So if I have the iPod connected to the hifi-m8 via included usb and if I am using the dual balanced headphone out, I will not need another balanced interconnect cable from amp to source like the solo db and mk3b combo needs?  

Also, I currently own the mk3b but decided to go the hifi-m8 route instead of buying the solo db to bypass purchasing another cable and having an all inclusive balanced unit.  The unit I ordered will be the dual balanced one and from reading the thread, it won't have a line-out so I will not be able to use the mk3b amp with it.  Is this correct?  

Also, I assume I won't be needing the mk3b since the m8 should have as much or more power to drive something like the HE-500's?

Thank you.

Quote:
not  a true line out, but you can use the headphone out to another amp from what I understand without sacrificing sound quality.

I'm apologizing in advance in case this is a 'DUH' question.

Michael, would you please confirm that using the headphone out to connect to another amp, that the sound quality will not be degraded?
In other words, can the H8 be used as a USB DAC with a computer?
Of course you cannot comment on how another AMP will sound.

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #506 of 5,999
Quote:

Michael

This is awesome! I was fine with not having this jack at all but that you've been able to work it into the design makes it that much more versatile.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #507 of 5,999
[size=medium]In the recent Playback article on Can Jam at RMAF 2012, the write-up on the HiFi-M8 touts its versatility as exemplified by the buyer selectable I/O jack configuration.[/size]

[size=medium]We now have choices between iDevice vs. coax SPDIF inputs and dual 3-pin XLR/1/4” single-ended combo vs. 4-pin XLR and 1/4” single-ended headphone jacks.[/size]

[size=medium]Can’t we have a choice between the 1/8” headphone/optical SPDIF combo outputs jack and a 1/8” coax SPDIF phone jack and 1/4” to 1/8”headphone adapter plug as well?[/size]

[size=medium]And if down the run you need to standardize on an I/O connector configuration, you can use the majority buyer configuration selection on this limited first run as sort of a demographic focus group to identify your target market preference.[/size]

[size=medium]In addition to tenuous TOSLINK connectors, one problem with the optical SPDIF output is that there is now a signal choke point to a DAC coax digital input in that the current TOSLINK to coax SPDIF converters still only have 24/96 PCM support at best.[/size]

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #509 of 5,999
> Michael, would you please confirm that using the headphone out to connect to another amp, that the sound quality will not be degraded?
Yes, we've offered this functionality with our other DAC products - DACport and DACmini and customers report excellent results. HiFi-M8 will not compromise that reputation.

> In other words, can the H8 be used as a USB DAC with a computer?
Yes, of course, provided you use the appropriate cable to go from one of M8's outputs into the inputs of your (other) amp.

> [size=medium]Down the run you need to standardize on an I/O connector configuration, you can use the majority buyer configuration selection on this limited first run as sort of a demographic focus group to identify your target market preference.[/size]
The audiophile industry segment exhibits niche qualities and cannot leverage economies of scale. Therefore the value proposition seems to favor flexibility and customer focus over manufacturing efficiency (get the MBA joke? LOL)

Translation: We've actually designed this thing with swappable side panels, to accommodate multiple configurations easily. The more people like this thing, the more friends we get to have :)

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #510 of 5,999
Quote:

The audiophile industry segment exhibits niche qualities and cannot leverage economies of scale. Therefore the value proposition seems to favor flexibility and customer focus over manufacturing efficiency (get the MBA joke? LOL)

Michael,

I was beginning to worry about you as I read this line, until I reached the end of it.  LOL!

But it makes perfect sense, even in MBA-speak!  

biggrin.gif

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back