The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Oct 19, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #361 of 5,999
Quote:
It seems the amp section, from reports, will be very good but a line out is always welcome with good dac implementation. IMO For me though, on a portable device or one that will be a desk to portable, a 1/8 is preferable to more metal in the way of the signal or being concerned about an adapter that might get misplaced.

But Jam, this is intended for people who want to use the high output power with full size phones, and a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter will ALWAYS be a worse option than a tiny solid 1/4" to 1/8" adapter with no cable.   Are you saying that people should plan to drive full-size phones with the 4-pin XLR and IEM with the 1/8", and not worry about single ended full size phones?

However, Michael, I say maybe do one of the following - either have (1) both the 1/8" and 1/4" out for headphones, or (2) make the 1/8" do duty as a coax digital s/pdif output and use 1/4" for headphones, or (3) find a spot on the back for an RCA S/PDIF digital out and keep both 1/8" and 1/4" for headphones. 

EDIT - here is what I emailed Michael on the 18th > 

Hey, what about those 3.5mm jacks that have analog or optical or coax built into them?  Some even do both analog and optical.
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] My Headroom Micro DAC has a 3.5mm coax input jack, and my HM-801 has a 3.5mm coax output jack, while my Macbook has a 3.5mm analog headphone jack with an optical built-in.  The Nuforce HDP has a 3.5mm analog input, that can also accept an optical input.  When an optical cable is plugged in it disables the coax input, so they only needed one position on the switch to select S/PDIF inputs.  When nothing is plugged into the port, or if analog is plugged in, then the S/PDIF input defaults to coax digital.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Larry[/size]

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #362 of 5,999
Quote:

But Jam, this is intended for people who want to use the high output power with full size phones, and a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter will ALWAYS be a worse option than a tiny solid 1/4" to 1/8" adapter with no cable.   Are you saying that people should plan to drive full-size phones with the 4-pin XLR and IEM with the 1/8", and not worry about single ended full size phones?

However, Michael, I say maybe do one of the following - either have (1) both the 1/8" and 1/4" out for headphones, or (2) make the 1/8" do duty as a coax digital s/pdif output and use 1/4" for headphones, or (3) find a spot on the back for an RCA S/PDIF digital out and keep both 1/8" and 1/4" for headphones. 

EDIT - here is what I emailed Michael on the 18th > 

Larry I am not sure I understand. I am talking about a 1/8 jack and having a 1/4 jack. I like having the 1/8 jack for portables.The adapter that goes from a 1/4 to 1/8 is solid and will not have the problems of a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter with cable, I agree. I have made my own out of high purity silver and good connectors but if possible, just having the jacks without having to use the adapter (either type) is my preference. Xin made a nice amp, the Reference, that had the 1/4 and 1/8 jacks, as you know. Anyway, I am sure it will all come out good. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #363 of 5,999
It's official....at least for this first production run: 

[size=medium]- Specify digital input type:[/size]
[size=medium]      [HiFi-M8 with USB and iDevice inputs] or [HiFi-M8 LX with USB and S/PDIF inputs][/size]
[size=medium] - Specify analog output type:      [2 combo XLRs] or [4-pin XLR and 1/4"][/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Now I need flip the Patience Switch to the ON position! 
wink.gif
[/size]

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #364 of 5,999
Patience switches never work. They're all broken.

Quote:

[size=medium]      [HiFi-M8 with USB and iDevice inputs] or [HiFi-M8 LX with USB and S/PDIF inputs][/size]
[size=medium] - Specify analog output type:      [2 combo XLRs] or [4-pin XLR and 1/4"][/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
wink.gif
[/size]

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #367 of 5,999
Oct 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #368 of 5,999
Quote:

[size=medium]  [/size]
wink.gif
[/size]

does the 4pin XLR and 1/4" include a 1/8" jack also (as shown on their blog and posted couple pages back)?
as a transportable dac/amp, i think quite a few people will use the centrance with an iem or ciem and 1/8" would be very useful, without having to plug in an adapter in the 1/4"

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #371 of 5,999
Good news for one of you :) I withdrew from the pre-order list. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #372 of 5,999
Michael, the more I think about it the more I think having some kind of S/PDIF output would be good. It just didn't look right with the optical upfront and off center. was all.

I posted this at the blog - Michael, I would like the see the 1/8″ jack double as a coax digital output, or if not possible then just be coax digital only. I think one single ended output is enough, two is nicer but maybe having the 1/8″ as coax digital out is the best option.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #375 of 5,999
If they decide to go with it, can the 1/8" jack be configured as a jack of all trades? Line-in when no other inputs are detected (like iBasso does with their amps), and line/digital out otherwise. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back