The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Aug 28, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #3,154 of 5,999
Quote:
Sounds like an awesome product. Glad to hear that the mad dogs sound good through the HiFi M8. Definitely going to make the purchase now. Love my mad dogs and am looking forward to my new toy to drive them with. I will be using it mainly via usb for lossless tracks. I was just wondering if the idevice version will work with a rockboxed ipod or will it only work with the ios? Do you or anyone on this thread know the answer to this?

Thanks in advance for any replies/answers:)

As far as I know, Rockbox downsamples to 16/41 (or 16/48) anyway, so with a rockboxed iPod, 24/96 wouldn't be possible.

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #3,157 of 5,999
Got to demo the HiFi M8 today @ Jaben Bangkok.I have a few observations and questions

After reading so many glowing reports of the M8 I didnt start off easy...most amps can drive easy to drive phones.I wanted to put this thru its trials

First I demo'd the M8 with Sennheiser 650,a phone that I have never heard properly driven by any portable Ive ever tried.Typically all I hear with the 650 is low volume and muddy bass,but today it was a VERY different experience.Pumping ALAC files thru my Ipod touch 3G of Metallica,Eagles,Pink Floyd,Bob Marley,Queensryche...etc...The 650 kicked my *****!!!! The HiFi M8 had those 650s rumbling with clear,clean deep bass with zero distortion and plenty of room left on the volume dial for more!
Now I understand why everyone recommended the 650 to me before...it only took the M8 to allow me to hear the 650 for the first time properly driven to understand why the 650 has so many fans.

Then I tried the M8 with the T1 and was blown away...just amazingly crystal clear detail,everything the T1 is supposed to give you,it did in this demo...I was shocked!
In my opinion,the M8 is a game changer.....I am very impressed!

Now enough for the good stuff,heres a slight downer...something that made no sense to me or the guy @ Jaben...My Ipod touch went from a full charge to less than half charge in under 40 minutes when coupled with the M8...I understand the M8 isnt supposed to be a drain on player' batteries,but for some reason my Ipod just drained at an alarming rate.....Im not saying this is the M8's fault,im just reporting what happened.If anyone has some insight as to what might have caused this,please let me know.

And now for a tech question: Is it possible to run the M8 in-line through a home theater surround system?

Bluray player + PS3 > Yamaha receiver via HDMI>Samsung 8000 via HDMI

Can this system configuration be used to have the HiFi M8 as the final component,so that I can do music+movies+games?

The guy at the shop seemed to think the M8 with the optical input could do that,but then that model doesnt support Ipods/Iphones etc...correct?

id like to avoid having to buy a desktop AND a portable headphone amp(for obvious financial reasons) but I was so impressed with the M8 I would be quite satisfied with sq running it thru my home theater as well as for on the go.

Jaben wont have any HiFi M8s for sale until next month(or later) but im already on the list...def getting this!!! 

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #3,158 of 5,999
Quote:
CEntrance should probably have a nice flow chart for M8 selection. Jude's video was nice and thoughtful, but took so long to get there. Much better if he concentrated more on the other stuff like development and SQ.

Does this help? Let me know and I will revise. :)

its a step in the right direction.

It omits other idevices , only names iphone in the main eye catching header (i passed over the extra information on the right several times). Maybe say Apple or idevices instead of iphone?
It doesnt specify which players work with the LX version. And needs to specify the output/input required more clearly(as above i missed it the first times).
It doesnt talk about using it with a computer.
It doesnt mention android use via OTG and usb-B.

It could be a flow chart with the two main choices on the left, flowing to the next choice of the four outputs.

Always best to make it some and detailed enough for the lowest common denominator.

---------------------------------------------/

Also might be good to review the manual in the future after more units get out there.
Another crowd source project perhaps?
Could be good to include some FAQs

....and have it available as a PDF for information and as a source of information for possible interested buyers.

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #3,159 of 5,999
Quote:

So there is still digital output even if you have Rockbox as a frontend? (as in an iPod classic will work with the Hifi-M8 even with rockbox firmware?)

Well, I don't know, actually. Rockboxed iPods still work with LODs, but as far as I know LODs take analog signals. My point was even if it did, it still wouldn't be perfect for hi-res music.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #3,161 of 5,999
I apologize if I missed it, but is anyone using an iPad mini as a source?  Does it work with the M8 with just the lightning to USB cable?  I want desperately to use my Note II as my do-everything source, but Android audiophilia is still a generation or two away to be as seemless as an iDevice.  I would like whatever toy I get to be multifunctional so the bigger screen for movies, books, and games would be better than an iPod Touch.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #3,162 of 5,999
Quote:
I apologize if I missed it, but is anyone using an iPad mini as a source?  Does it work with the M8 with just the lightning to USB cable?  I want desperately to use my Note II as my do-everything source, but Android audiophilia is still a generation or two away to be as seemless as an iDevice.  I would like whatever toy I get to be multifunctional so the bigger screen for movies, books, and games would be better than an iPod Touch.

It's MFI so I don't see why you can't use it for the iPad.

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #3,164 of 5,999
Quote:
We are now building units with latest firmware code, which allows in-field reprogramming. This means that when the 24/96 features finally drops, we will send you a download link and you will be able to download and upgrade the M8 yourself. Our software guys are currently on vacation and/or sick with a flu, so it's hard for me to give you a timeline, but probably in October. Don't hold me to that though. We are working hard on that, but supporting both old iDevices and new iDevices is one herculean task. All other products support either old or new iDevices, not both.

Thanks Michael! I appreciate the update.

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #3,165 of 5,999
Every dealer is on a very strict allocation now, while we are building more. I don't know the exact stats on that, others are managing the cue. This will get resolved.

Are retailers receiving units prior to all pre-orders being satisfied?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CEntrance-HiFi-M8-LX-4XL-Portable-DAC-headphone-Amp-HiFiM8LX4XL-/130960689146

Users who are viewing this thread

Back