The CEntrance Hi-Fi M8 V2 Thread
Jan 29, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #754 of 820
CEntrance have always been an innovative company. II fell in love with the company when I bought my first HiFi-M8 2015.Great sound and very affordable. At my desk I still have the DAC Mini CX with beautiful speakers. Right now I am waiting to get the Ampersand - great complement to the V2. And again CEntrance shows its “thinking outside the stack” by this:

https://centrance.com/store/Commander-Console-2U-p438256867

When traveling I use my Audeze IEM but at home I am planning to use the horizontal console with my Audeze LCD-4.

Very smart and at a great price.

Apr 3, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #757 of 820
Hi. this is my first post in head-fi.
This is my review of M8 V2. I apologize that's too long. :sweat_smile:

TL;DR​

For me, HiFi-M8 V2 is the end game. The ASR(audio science review)'s review differs from mine and others', however I tried to illustrate why.

My Impressions for Hifi-M8 V2​

My one reached me on Wednesday. And I love this from that time.
Is this a "swiss army knife"? I guess it's not a good expression since it sounds like "an assortment of halfway tools". In my humble opinion, this is a kind of "bayonet". Both the knife and the gun are effective while bayonet itself is a bit bulky as a weapon.
Here is my impressions. I use M8 V2 with my favorite cans; Ultrasone Signature Pro, Noble Audio Kaiser 10 and so on. I mainly use the cold side.

PROS:​

• Overall, the sound is superb. That's all for me.
    • When it comes to low-gain mode, it perfectly matches IEMs.
      • The noise floor is astoundingly black. Absolutely no hiss.
      • Fully detailed and seriously smooth, just like velvet.
    • When it comes to high-gain mode, it greatly drives full-sized headphones.
      • The sound signature is perfectly well balanced.
        • The bass is very sharp, agile and impressive, not muddy.
        • The mids are so rich that it deeply addict me.
        • The treble is bright enough but does never hurt.
      • The sound stage is vast perhaps thanks to its powerfulness.

CONS:​

• The user interface and information is confusing.
    • The instruction card in the box says "If windows, download the driver", while the Centrance support said "Use Windows 10's native driver in WASAPI."
    • Centrance official site now describe V2 just as "Hifi-M8". However it is very confusing which model they indicate, just like ALO's "Rx" amp.
  • You need to change the toggle switches kinda frequently. Especially gain mode.
    • On high-gain mode with IEMs, there's a little audible hiss.
      • NOTE: With Headphones, there's no audible hiss on high-gain mode. I confirmed it on several occasions, turning on/off, connected/not-connected and with high/low impedance cans.
    • On low-gain mode with headphones, the sound goes less punchy.
  • You need a little "routine" every time you use it.
    • You have to confirm the gain mode matching your IEMs/headphones.
    • It's absurd that Hifi-M8 V2 always starts from Bluetooth mode which is less admired than USB's. You of course need to switch.
  • I personally didn't like Goodman's attitudes in the ASR forum.
    • About that affair, I think Amir was not a good man, either. I'm gonna explain below.

ASR and Hifi-M8 V2​

You know the ASR criticized the product last November. Honestly speaking, I got mad about Centrance at first. That's because I had written in the questionnaire that Centrance had to take care about him in advance. I think ASR has a too-much power to agitate people, even if it's nothing to do with his own will.
Anyway, I'm afraid there's a subtle negative impression towards the M8 V2 among customers. Let me explain my thoughts about that affair.

1. My respect for ASR​

First of all, I respect ASR, however, in my own way.
I like it since it illustrates how well the company achieved the product design. In other words, I regard it as a benchmarking site for audio brands' competences. In respect of that point, I think Centrance has already proved excellent and reliable enough without ASR's review. Hence I don't fully stand for Amir's "judgement".

2. "A science review"​

When it came to the M8 V2, he firstly got mad about the ASIO driver and he criticized its philosophy throwing away tests on the way.
The former, it's mere just his own issue. He could stop the review then. The latter, I have no interest in a person's thoughts like "Audio devices must be something like blah blah blah". That's simply a matter of "I agree or I disagree" and I personally disagree with him at that point.
So, it was rather an essay than a scientific review, just like when he beated the Monoprice dac.

3. "Audio science"​

According to subjective reviews I've ever seen, Hifi-M8 V2 is obviously one of the most applauded products so far. I'm not sure why ASR concluded in that way and in the half way. (From his emotion?) No, honestly speaking, after that affair and his recent reviews that repeats "I recommend this headphones if you equalize them", the "audio science" itself of ASR got doubtful to me.
Maybe his audio science is just like "audio engineering" and just for "audio quality itself".
These years, in contrast to ASR, Final Audio, a leading audio company in Japan, insists that "Acoustics" should be discussed using a new methodology like wines'. You cannot review wines only in engineering measurements, and cannot score the quality itself. For, they have sensual features and certain preferences that someone has and others don't have. However, the science of wines actually does exist. Like that, audio science has to deal with sensual features and preferences, I assume.
I'm happy if you also rethink what audio science is. :)

4. What about Goodman?​

On the other hand, to be honest, I was disappointed at Goodman's posts there.
Please don't speak ill, and please don't promise a thing you cannot schedule firmly. Please be proud of yourself.
I've just purchased the HiFi-M8 V2 together with the Ampersand! So far been listening to the M8 V2 with IEMs and headphones mostly are efficient ones, from Macbook connected with iSilencer+ and iPurifire3, and the result has been very satisfying .. v dark background, sound stage and imaging are excellent and v musical! Will connect to Ampersand few days later to try out.
Re ASR, personally I think the dogmatic followers over there are pushing the envelop too far, to the extent of equating their measurements to good/bad product, to the detriment of misleading ppl to incorrectly position data and measurements in the grand scheme of audio science, the former is just a subset of the later. The M8 V2 and the Cayin RU6 both are not measured well in the eyes of these so called "objectvists" but I happen to own both and been enjoying them v much..

Attachments

• IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #758 of 820
I've just purchased the HiFi-M8 V2 together with the Ampersand! So far been listening to the M8 V2 with IEMs and headphones mostly are efficient ones, from Macbook connected with iSilencer+ and iPurifire3, and the result has been very satisfying .. v dark background, sound stage and imaging are excellent and v musical! Will connect to Ampersand few days later to try out.
Re ASR, personally I think the dogmatic followers over there are pushing the envelop too far, to the extent of equating their measurements to good/bad product, to the detriment of misleading ppl to incorrectly position data and measurements in the grand scheme of audio science, the former is just a subset of the later. The M8 V2 and the Cayin RU6 both are not measured well in the eyes of these so called "objectvists" but I happen to own both and been enjoying them v much..
You can't believe anything those guys/girls say on that site. Most haven't even heard the products that are being measured to come up with their own opinion about it. Measurements are only part of the story. I've owned plenty of products that don't measure well, but sound darn good to my ears. My take is this: "You can listen to measurements"!

Apr 3, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #759 of 820
how does Cayin ru6 sound compare to m8 v2? Are the m8 sounds too forward

Apr 3, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #760 of 820
how does Cayin ru6 sound compare to m8 v2? Are the m8 sounds too forward
Compared with RU6, the M8 is relatively forward on the mids but not too excessive, whilst both are doing well on sound stage and imaging esp the M8, as I didn't expect it to have so clear a sound localization! Overall the RU6 is underrated by many esp those "measurement guys", but its sonic performance is v analogy for a lack of a better word as the sound is very dense ..

Apr 4, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #761 of 820
Re the HiFi-M8 V2 connected to a Mac, and using its MIDI to adjust/select sample rate and bit depth. However, on my Mac (a late 2014 version) the MIDI only have 16 bit and 32 bit to choose from, but not 24 bit. So when I play a song that's say 24 bit / 44KHz and select 32 / 44.1 from the MIDI, does it mean that the Mac is still giving me the 24 bit precision with the last 8 bits of 0 values, or the Mac is doing some other more complicated computation like copying the sign bit into all bits of the uppermost byte, etc, if so this should eat into the CPU but I didn't notice the CPU was more busy given my Mac is of late 2014 version. In fact I found that the Mojo V1 when connected to Mac the MIDI also didn't have 24 bit selection. If anyone could enlighten me I'd be much delighted! :relaxed:

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #762 of 820
Compared with RU6, the M8 is relatively forward on the mids but not too excessive, whilst both are doing well on sound stage and imaging esp the M8, as I didn't expect it to have so clear a sound localization! Overall the RU6 is underrated by many esp those "measurement guys", but its sonic performance is v analogy for a lack of a better word as the sound is very dense ..
TQ friend. Greatly appreciate it.

Apr 9, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #763 of 820
Hi guys, just jump into this M8v2.
Trying to use USB to connect with Samsung S20 and seems the phone recognize the connection (both Neutron & Hifi player app ask for permission), but when I turn on the Spotify, there is no sound at all.
Using another Android phone and the USB connection works.
Any owner can share the Samsung phone connection experience please?

Btw, plug in my HD800S to the XLR, and my god, never heard such a sound stage from Hd800s before. Awesome!!

Apr 18, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #765 of 820
Come hear HiFi-M8 and Ampersand at Axpona this weekend, April 22-24. Who's in Chicago?

What's the capacity on that powerbank? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back