The CEntrance Hi-Fi M8 V2 Thread
Jan 22, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #497 of 820
Yesterday I received an email to confirm my address and to pay for shipping. I don’t recall shipping not being included but whatever, it should ship soon. My order number of a low 2k one.

I also received the same email. Paid the FedEx option ($30) for faster shipping vs USPS ($15). Not sure if that will make much of a difference time-wise for delivery. My order # was 1747.

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #498 of 820
My M8 v2 was at my door when I got home from work. It's very cute... Smaller than v1, which is nice, makes it pocketable. Had no trouble getting a Bluetooth connection to my phone LG v20), bit can't figure out how to get a usb connection...

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #499 of 820
So, it didn't work using the enclosed called. I had an ifi otg, connected it to the phone, then to the enclosed cable, NOW it works. Sounding nice!

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #500 of 820
So, it didn't work using the enclosed called. I had an ifi otg, connected it to the phone, then to the enclosed cable, NOW it works. Sounding nice!
Yes, I prefer the cabled connection over Bluetooth soundwise. Much better sound quality with the cabled connection. Bluetooth is very functional, which is nice. I just found myself maxing out the volume to get to my preferred listening level on my LCD-4z's. I have plenty of headroom with the cabled connection.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #501 of 820
Yes, I prefer the cabled connection over Bluetooth soundwise. Much better sound quality with the cabled connection. Bluetooth is very functional, which is nice. I just found myself maxing out the volume to get to my preferred listening level on my LCD-4z's. I have plenty of headroom with the cabled connection.
Really interesting, what if it was ldac instead of aptx
Do not understand why centrance does not include LDAC codec. Because the difference between aptx and ldac is dramatic.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #502 of 820
Really interesting, what if it was ldac instead of aptx
Do not understand why centrance does not include LDAC codec. Because the difference between aptx and ldac is dramatic.
It would've been nice to include all the Bluetooth formats. Even so I still think a cabled connection would offer the best sound.

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #503 of 820
I agree. I use Bluetooth speakers, convenient, let me do things that would be hard to wire up, but I don't think it's as good sonically as a wired connection.
Did a quick listen to my HE 1k v2 through the balanced output, no problem driving them, very nice sounding indeed.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #504 of 820
I agree. I use Bluetooth speakers, convenient, let me do things that would be hard to wire up, but I don't think it's as good sonically as a wired connection.
Did a quick listen to my HE 1k v2 through the balanced output, no problem driving them, very nice sounding indeed.
That’s how I feel about the HEKse’s and the Hifi-M8 V2, it’s an incredible pairing. I’m in awe at what I’m hearing.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #505 of 820
Still trying to figure this thing out-this morning connected to a favorite internet stream (WFMU's Give the Drummer Stream) via WiFi, no problem. Then plugged in my iFi otc, them the little CEntrance adaptor, then the usb c to usb c cable, then to the M8. Changed to usb on the M8, nothing. Tried a few times, consistently get the same results. Must be doing something wrong, but can't figure out out.
😒

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #506 of 820
Ok, now I have it working (I have Neuron and USB Audio Pro on my phone for music on my memory card, and stream often) now USB is connecting to both apps and streaming internet radio, but I'm using an item, and have to max out the volume with high gain to hear anything (and not as loud as is like, or as it got yesterday). I'm going to put it away for now, more trouble this AM than it's worth. Try again later.

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #507 of 820
I finally got mine this midday ... :beerchug:

To tell the truth, I was almost not expecting anything any more after such amazing delays and first mitigate returns of the "static" measurements of Audio Science Review. I was almost ready to sell it even before opening the box.

So, just by curiosity, I connected it without any hope via Bluetooth / USB-C to my Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G .. and made a quick A/B/C comparison (included my rather new A&K Kann Alpha as DAC) all connected to my difficult to drive HEDDphone.
I won't say so much at this stage and I will first leave it burning for a few days/weeks .... but, for sure, I can already notice that the output power of the Centrance is really there in high gain mode on the XlR4, it seems to be totally noiseless, no hisses in highs and a real black background (With Qobuz and USB Player Pro in bitperfect or after Parametric EQ in BT mode or USB-C mode).

It looks like the 12V output of the A&K Kann Alpha are less present/available than what the Centrance M8V2 can produce... and the Kann Alpha has more difficulties to go to high power in a clean way like the Centrance M8V2 seems to able to do (It could even be dangerous for the ears to push so much volume in such clean way in the ears out of a difficult Headphone like Hedd's one)

After a reasonable burning period, I will also compare results with my standalone THX 887 amp. I feel I was never so near to produce comparable kicks in low and ultra frequencies with a portable solution (Xduoo XD-05+/ HifiPas3+4.4mm / A&K Kann Alpha) out of this rather cheap but powerful amp (Monolith THX887) => Centrance M8V2 can be a game changer to be free to move at home and listen to music where we want.

Maybe my nicest surprise of these last months..

Jan 25, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #509 of 820
I wonder how it stands up to the IFi signature or Diablo? How much power does the M8V2 put out? The iFi’s put out just over 4 and 5 watts respectively.

I think ifi's Amps are probably even more powerful than Centrance M8V2.
As far as things could be comparable I think :
-> ifi produce more than 12.6V at 32ohms,
-> Astell &Kern Kann Alpha somewhere less than 11V
-> M8V2 around probably between 11 and 12V.

M8V2 is a class A amp and is already really over the needs of my HEDDphone (42Ohms and 87db/1mw sensitivity). The Kann Alpha has just enough power to move the HEDDphone correctly, though it sounds still better with a fiber Toslink connection to a THX887 amp.
Even if I don't intend to use it, the M8v2 can use some low and high frequencies adjustments that Diablo can't do and the iFi Signature still have too.

Before this first try, I was going to sell the Centrance M8V2 straight away and I was hesitating between iFi Diablo or even the pure amp like Cayin C9 !

As I opened the parcel now and I am a bit more impressed then expected by what is in my hand, I want to do some further personal evaluations of the possibilities.
Even the rather limited Bluetooth aac/sbc/aptx connection can maybe have a sense at home with some remote control (to control the smartphone with the Centrance in the pocket).
By the way, it is much smaller and lighter than what I expected a few months ago, so it can fit in any of my pockets much easier than expected. Even using the XLR4 plug gives me some psychological comfort with a really reliable hardware connection (using the genuine HEDD balanced cable).

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #510 of 820
So far the Hifi-M8 V2 sounds good with everything I’ve paired it with so far.

3CA7337A-FF6B-4E96-B9EF-066CA36D0989.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back