The CEntrance Hi-Fi M8 V2 Thread
Jun 22, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #256 of 820
When I say "competing units," I mean balanced headphone amplifiers around $600-800. I don't need list names unless you want me to. Of course, the Hi-Fi M8 V2 has specific features, which render it unique and that's to be welcomed. It's one of the reasons I'm excited about the CEntrance and want to find out more about it!

Do you mean "balanced portable headphone amplifiers" that drive full-sized headphones? That narrows down the field quite a bit.

The RSA SR-71b was too bright for HE-800 and bright/underpowered for HE-6, but great with things like HD-600/650 (and the SE output was pretty lame). The RSA F-35 lightning was VERY good with HD-800 but failed with driving the HE-6 as well. The CEntrance M8 V1 was pretty decent with HD-800 with bass boost on, and great with almost everything else, but also failed to drive the HE-6.

At that point I stopped looking years ago, so I can't name others right now because I've been out of the market until the M8 V2 was announced. I pre-ordered when it was in the mid 400's dollar range I couldn't get on the bandwagon fast enough.

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #258 of 820
Still no info ? about new delays and production issues ?
Can we expect some delivery within July ?

Jul 6, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #259 of 820
Please read my last few posts. I mentioned that the M8 V2 would be coming in from China to CEntrance after the 10th, and that Michael is out of town until that time but would start to ship as soon as they started showing up.

EDIT - I’ve been in touch with him and passing on the news for him. I’ll see him in Colorado on Thursday.

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #260 of 820
Please read my last few posts. I mentioned that the M8 V2 would be coming in from China to CEntrance after the 10th, and that Michael is out of town until that time but would start to ship as soon as they started showing up.

EDIT - I’ve been in touch with him and passing on the news for him. I’ll see him in Colorado on Thursday.
This is great news, thanks for sharing! It's been a long time coming

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #261 of 820
Good news, and it lets us hope that before the end of the month, they will start delivery to end-users like me.

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #262 of 820
The latest email went out today. Here is a copy and paste.

4dbbd11e-9218-4dcd-a0f0-a6ea8afa7eaa.png
HiFi-M8 V2 DAC/AMP
PROJECT UPDATE
Hello from CEntrance!

We hope you are staying safe and healthy. Here is a project status update.

TLDR: Reviewers blessed the product into production. Factory is working hard to create inventory. We expect to start shipments in late July. We hired help to speed up the shipments.

Now, on to the details...
Reviewers Are Happy
Two months ago we sent several units of the final, factory-made HiFi-M8 to prominent reviewers. We wanted to get their opinions and see if there were any last minute changes we needed to make before mass production.

Products were sent to HeadphoneAddict, ExpatInJapan, KingRudi. PortaFi, Audio360 and others.

Overall fedback is good. Everyone loved their HiFi-M8 and no significant issues were found. Here are some comments.
I AM THRILLED with the sound and performance of the HiFi M8 V2. The hot side can not only drive difficult 300 Ohm Sennheiser headphones but can actually drive them with authority and skill befitting the performance of a desktop amp. And, conversely it is an excellent match for my laid back JH 13 Pro, and energetic NXEars Basso, as well as Westone ES70 customs. I was impressed enough with the sound via Bluetooth that I’ll probably always use mine in Bluetooth mode for iPhone and USB mode for MacBook, even with 100GB of lossless music on my iPhone (plus Tidal).

– HeadphoneAddict, Head-Fi.org
Michael Goodman & Co. have a lot to be proud of with their new HiFiM8 v2 portable headphone amp/DAC! Expanding on the groundbreaking feature set of the original HiFiM8, the v2 is a Personal audio Swiss Army Knife! It’s been driving everything from my Audeze LCDs to Audio Technica ATH-ADX5000s with gusto. And I love the dB level meters — a nice touch. Check it out!!

– SonicSatori, Audio360
Excellent results. Nice full body, yet neutral sound. Black background. The Hifi-M8v2 combines all the excellent developments of earlier models. It retains the full bodied, detailed and clear sound signature that CEntrance products are known for.

– ExpatinJapan, HeadPie.net
Factory is Building Stock
Following positive reviews, we have instructed our factory to start production. HiFi-M8 PCBs are stuffed in Shenzhen China, by our long term, trusted vendor. After that, we send the PCBs to Taiwan, where another trusted vendor will perform board testing and assemble PCBs into aluminum chassis, together with the batteries. After that the units will be sent to our HQ in Chicago, where we will fit the wireless antennas (they require careful positioining for best reception), add some more components, tweak performance, test audio, close up, and ship.

We anticipate that units will come to Chicago in late July. We have hired a new technician specifically to help us process the units that are coming in. This person's job is to focus on the assembly, meticulous testing and preparation for shipping. Late July will be a hot time at our office as we have a lot of these units to ship. We are prepared to work hard and go at lightning speed to bring this amp to you as quickly as possible.

Some Pictures from Reviewers
8f0015a9-07b7-43cf-b46c-ebe491d66ca0.jpg
909c31a1-d963-465a-8b24-5dafd2b38251.jpg
1755a4f4-b60f-498a-a2b3-46bcb90edd81.jpg
21989d74-54a7-414a-b40f-5df347e1c1fb.jpg
Please be careful and stay healthy! We are working hard to start shipping soon!
If you have not yet preordered the CEntrance HiFi-M8-V2, time is running out. The price has gone up to $629.99. Once the product is available for general sale, the price will go up to $749, so act now. Get a great DAC/Amp at a great price, while you can!
© 2020 CEntrance. All rights reserved.

www.centrance.com info@centrance.com

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #263 of 820
Good news, and it lets us hope that before the end of the month, they will start delivery to end-users like me.

Sometimes I feel bad that I am not always the regular end-user in these cases; but I really feel that I am very blessed to often get to beta test early gear from companies like Westone, Nuforce, CEntrance, NXEars, HiFiMan, and others, due to my enthusiasm and vociferous posting about gear in my early days on head-fi and their ability to produce gear that I loved.

I got involved in headphone reviews over 12 years ago out of my enthusiasm for the new products that I was exploring for the first time, after years of complacency with my gear including decades old Koss Pro 4 AA, Bose ANC headphones and Shure single and 2 driver IEM. I started to wonder is there anything better out there? That led to years of massive out of pocket outlays and reviewing my own purchases in most cases (not all). I still pre-order almost everything that CEntrance announces, and have never been disappointed (well, except for HiFi-Skyn where I don't have an iPhone 6s Plus that fits it and I gave it to a friend last year).

Michael Goodman and I met over 10 years ago, I think at CanJam at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2009 in Denver (I don't think it was at CanJam LA 2009). He was showing off the new DACport 24/96 USB DAC, in the housing of their AxePort USB interface for guitars. If I recall, they had been licensing out their 24/96 USB technology and then got into the hardware side of the business.

The DACport was fantastic sounding for a small affordable USB powered DAC/amp, however Michael only had the Beyer Dynamic DT-880 to show it off while my Grado RS-1 were a much better headphone, and I loaned them to him for the duration of the Audio Fest so that other people could see what the DACport was really capable of doing. I still have my first DACport, as well as a DACport HD, DACportable, DACmini, HiFi-M8 v1, BlueDAC, and Cerene dB headphones. Over the years Michael and I have meals at the headphones meets we attend and talk about what people wanted, and I understood that Michael is a real audio enthusiast as well as a manufacturer with a lot of great ideas. I am honored to be considered his friend.

So, I did pre-order the HiFi M8 V2, and I am one of the end-users like you, but my decade long relationship with Michael gave me the opportunity to get one of the pre-production samples for early input and review, at his request. I want to thank Michael for his trust in me with one of the FIVE pre-production samples, and also to thank ExpatinJapan for compiling my 4-part review in this thread into one big post at www.headpie.net at CENTRANCE HIFI-M8V2 DETAILED IMPRESSIONS BY HEADPHONEADDICT

EDIT - Pro 4 AA not AAA

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #265 of 820
Jul 22, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #266 of 820
Yes! I saw you did figured it would be good had some nice communications with Michael Goodman CEO of centrance.
Ray Samuels,my previous mobile amp guru, retired so I figured I would try out this promising new amp! Now the waiting seriously ensues....

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #267 of 820
July, August, or whatever. I am EXTREMELY happy that Michael and his team have been able to work this through despite one of the worlds worst pandemics ever. We have to put things in perspective. I am also very happy that the team continues to develope and improve the product. I am Getting a better product than I paid for. Thanks Michael & team! / Magnus

Jul 25, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #268 of 820
July, August, or whatever. I am EXTREMELY happy that Michael and his team have been able to work this through despite one of the worlds worst pandemics ever. We have to put things in perspective. I am also very happy that the team continues to develope and improve the product. I am Getting a better product than I paid for. Thanks Michael & team! / Magnus
Getting closer to delivery every day!

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #269 of 820
AEDCF67F-553D-419C-8477-3B19B0E12C71.jpeg

ipod touch 6G using Flacplayer app and connected via Apples Camera Connection Kit.

A04CF376-3584-423C-9CB5-7EAE84539896.png

I have not posted much recently.

But i have been demoing the Hifi-M8 V2 as well as other goodies in the meantime.

Like Headphoneaddict and the other five ‘chosen ones‘ i am more an enthusiast...and accidental semi reviewer - but always an enthusiast first.

I enjoy trying out new gear and products - especially the excellent or curious.

The Hifi-M8 V2 has so many input and output options, hardware eq instead of digital and pretty flashing lights (which can be on or off).
The Bluetooth connection is solid or as can be seen above one can go wired.

whether with the wide range of IEMs i have here or the smaller range of headphones i have not been disappointed.

size and weight is also quite acceptable and portable.

From what has already been written in this thread i honestly dont think much more can be said.

i am looking forward to peoples impressions when they get their units.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #270 of 820
I am ready to get this product in my hands. It’s been a long time coming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back