The CEntrance Hi-Fi M8 V2 Thread
May 29, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #196 of 820
The HD800/800s need higher voltage swing than planars, and an amp with good synergy that doesn't make them sound thin and shrill (or sound smooth with poor impact such as my ZDT which does do 2W at 32 ohms). I have over 2 dozen portable and desktop amps in the house, and only 3 of them sound proper with the HD800/800s. The M8 V2 is one of them.

It's somewhere between 1.5 - 2W based on my best guess, but they will have numbers for us soon. Their concern is that I think Michael said they can get something like 6 dB more gain before clipping, but it was too much for ALL of the headphone they tested and had to turn it down. They were in genuine fear of harming either headphones or someone's ears.

1.5...2W is right in the ballpark. We haven't yet done the meticulous measurements, still busy dotting the i's for production. As soon as we have a moment, we will add the specs section to the website. Rest assured, those will be great specs :)

May 29, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #197 of 820
1.5...2W is right in the ballpark. We haven't yet done the meticulous measurements, still busy dotting the i's for production. As soon as we have a moment, we will add the specs section to the website. Rest assured, those will be great specs :)

Ok then ..
I just clicked to order one, and be hoping it will be able to search the lowest frequencies on a Heddphone like a small monolyth THX 887 can do very well and my other portable amps (xDuoo xo5+ or Pas3S+ 4.4mm) can't reach as perfectly.

May 29, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #198 of 820
After listening last night for a couple of hours, I can honestly say that the MiFi M8 V2 is now my favorite headphone amp for my balanced JH Audio Roxanne custom IEM.

I have always said that the Roxanne sound best with an amplifier, while they sound a little more bland when played though an iPhone headphone jack (or lightning adapter). So, when using an amplifier with the Roxanne I've found that they can also be a little picky about things like the output impedance and other characteristics of the amp being used.

The Roxanne were perfect with the M8 V1 at the 1ohm or 2ohm output impedance setting, sounding almost identical to using the Roxanne on the Chord Mojo DAC/amp. This caused Dale Lott of Aurisonics (and then Fender and Spear Audio Labs) to head over to the CEntrance booth at RMAF a few years back, to see about securing a HiFiM8 for themselves. When using the OG M8 V1 in 10 ohm output mode, the Roxanne would become a bit warmer and the bass would bleed into the low midrange. The HiFi M8 V2 output impedance is 0ohm (zero) on the cold side and 1ohm on the hot side, which is perfect for all of my IEM.

As stated before, I have the Moon-Audio Black Dragon V2 balanced 2.5mm cable, with a black dragon 3.5mm single-ended pigtail, so that I can use it on both the 2.5mm and the 3.5mm outputs. The problem with comparing the 2.5mm balanced output to the 3.5mm output is that switching from balanced output to single ended sounds much quieter, which is not very helpful with making direct AB comparisons.

The M8 V2 balanced amp section with the Roxanne simply blew me away the first time I tried it! There are almost no words. It's beauty - sonic balance and transparency, refinement and space, micro and macro-detail, black background and dynamics - was so sublime that anything I'd listen to shortly afterwards lost it's shine.

I did have to turn up the volume noticeably after switching to the 3.5mm output, so it's hard to know if it is equally as good in real life. If I started listening to the 3.5mm output after a short break I thought it was fantastic as well, until I would switch to the balanced output again. I have to say, because the Roxanne live on the balanced black dragon cable, I will spend 100% of my listening time through the 2.5mm output.

I then listened to the M8 V2 with my Westone ES60 via the 3.5mm output, which can be easily driven by almost anything, and it was also extremely good with maybe a slight emphasis on warmth and lower midrange body. I didn't get quite as blown away with them because the Westone optional Hi-Res 3.5mm cable they not nearly as good as on the Moon-Audio Silver Dragon cable. I'll have to dig out my balanced Silver Dragon cable tonight to compare with the 2.5mm output today (I'd recently had a short in the 2.5mm jack strain relief repaired and didn't put it back in the case with the ES60).

In low gain mode with the Roxanne or ES60 the volume knob always stays balanced, without favoring one channel orver another at extremely quiet volumes before the sound cuts out when going too low - even on the louder 2.5mm balanced output. Audio cut-out happens at volumes much lower than I have ever tried to listen to music before, so that is great.

In high gain with my custom IEM, the volume control is still very useable via both the 3.5mm and even the louder 2.5mm jack, where I get to not quite as low volumes before audio cuts out. That higher volume at cut-out would still be several dB below my normal quiet listening levels, so I can leave it in high gain to use IEM with the M8 V2 if I want to quickly switch to full-size headphones soon after. I did NOT notice any change in audio quality between low gain and high gain settings, like I do with my Schitt Audio Magni 3 that sounds better in high gain than low gain.

I'd almost say that my job is done here with IEM, but I still need to listen to my ES60 with my balanced cable, as well as try some more universal fit IEM like my Westone W80 and HiFiMan RE-2000, etc.

Yay, I love my job :ksc75smile: (I'm actually retired, but this is what I would want to do). [I also hate autocorrect typos that make me edit posts]

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #199 of 820

Would would you estimate is the voltage swing of the 4-pin balanced output, where higher is better for driving 300 ohm Sennheiser?

May 31, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #201 of 820
If there are 20V available, even for just peaks, for sure it should be comfortable with every thing else than electrostatics headphones.

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #203 of 820
Hi, can someone be good enough to tell me the status of this amp? I'm a little confused - is it actually in production now, with orders being dispatched? The description looks excellent, but the specs are lacking. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #204 of 820
As I understood ..
It won't be dispatch probably before end of June.
When they start delivery, the price will increase by 70$.
All measurements will be done after the tour of preproduction items.

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #206 of 820
Much obliged. You're ordering some to arrive in France?

I just ordered it last Friday and hoping it will arrive in France soon or late :smile:.
I am not really in hurry (I already own some portable amps), and I still have some doubt it will be able to move my Heddphone as a Monolyth THX887 can do so well.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #207 of 820
I just ordered it last Friday and hoping it will arrive in France soon or late :smile:.
I am not really in hurry (I already own some portable amps), and I still have some doubt it will be able to move my Heddphone as a Monolyth THX887 can do so well.
Great, it looks like an amazing amp/dac. I only wish the 2.5mm balanced connection was 4.4mm. I really don't know anyone who uses 2.5mm anymore. Not a deal breaker, as one can easily use a 4.4mm to XLR adaptor, but still. I may well order one.

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #208 of 820
I will probably use an XLR adapter ...
But possible to order a more compact way with such adapter
Capture DJ44B.JPG

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #210 of 820
I don't know .. I suppose it comes from China.
I ordered one, and I am waiting for it too, but I am not sure about the quality. I will compare with the XLR 4pins adapter I already own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back