The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Jan 6, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #2,176 of 2,420
Not sure if you are talking about OTG cable (with C5 amp/dac) or interconnector jack (with C5 amp).

For interconnector jack, make sure you push in all the way as the jack might be stiff when new. If don't fit all the way, it will crackle or sound imbalance.

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #2,182 of 2,420
  I posted this in the Asian/Chinese threa but though it would be natural to post here as well.

Since yesterday I've spent all the time I've manged to compare my new Cayin C5 with Topping NX-1 and FiiO E12.

I must say that I find it really difficult to compare and not the least describe the differences. I 've got really big respect for peolpe able to make full comparsion between different aps. I'm just going to give a short comparsion between the C5 and the other two.

Let me first underline that all differences are really small and it took a  lot of listening to be able to find them but they're deinitely there.

I used th LO on my X3 as a source and splitted the signal to both amps. I also volumed match by my ears only. Headphones used was my modded T50RP (BMF DBV3 mod with HM5 velour pads), AKG Q701 and Grado SR325is with HM5 velour pads. IEM's used was Hvai B3Pro 1 (original), my most hard to drive IEM's and Logitech UE600, my most sensetive IEM's.

C5 vs E12: Both of these amps packs enough power to drive every headphone I own. I've been using the E12 a lot since I got it about 5 monts ago as I tend to listen less and less out of my desktop amps because of me listening at different places around my houset (with four childre I need to find places I can enjoy them music without getting disturbed or disturbing others).

I've been very pleased with the E12 for the time I've used it. I only paid $88 for it shipped, brand new so I consider it great value. The two main differences between the two (and these differences are very easy to hear) is that the E12 is warmer and has more background noice (hiss). This is naturally worst with the UE600 but it's actully noticable with all HP/IEM's I've tried with. This has never bothered me before but in comparsion with the C5 it's very obvious. The C5 has a very very light hiss with the UE600 and noting with the rest. The warmer sound on the E12 makes it feel a tad less clear and neutral.

C5 vs NX-1: These are actually much closer in their over all signature than the E12 and C5. It took a lot more listening to be able to find the differences here. I've seen one graph on each of these and there they're both really flat. The most obvious differences here are also the bakbround noice (hiss) that's clearly noticable on the NX-1 and as mentoned above next too non-existing with the C5. I've also get some EMI interference from my phone with the NX-1 that I was not able to reprocuce with the C5 for the half hour or so I tried them together. I would also say that the C5 is a tad fuller sounding without feeling warm or unnatural in any way. In a way I'd guess one could say that the C5 is a NX-1 on steroids, having a very similar over all sound but packing a lot more power. With the T50RP's (my hardest to drive headphones) the NX-1 sometimes feels a little bit looser in the bass than the C5.

Other differences between the C5 and the other two may be "new toy syndrom", placebo or not carefully enough mathed volume levels but I do feel that the C5 is a tad more distinct and "right" sounding.

In short I would describe the C5 as being natural, have a really nice black backgound and plenty of power (even the Havi's get enough volume at volume level 3 out of 10 on low gain). It's a great amp and I'm really happy with my purchase. 

Very interesting and helpful review. I also have the NX-1 and am using it with my ipod classic LO via Fiio LOD L9 with, wait for it, the ever so hard to drive AKG K612 - and on high gain it works very well. When i tried the C5 instead of the NX-1 the sound was obviously louder, possible to use low gain on the C5, and fuller/warmer, but to my ears too, hardly night and day.
Have I got tin ears?

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #2,183 of 2,420
teston

The C5 DAC in amp only mode has ever so slightly less power. I tried it with my sabre DAC and the diffeeence was there. I find the bass and definition clearer and more pleasing on the C5 amp only. The DAC/amp is a worthy b choice if you want an all in one but the C5 amp with a good DAC beats it in marked and discernible ways - power, bass response, slam, clarity and details. The difference is like 10% but if you have the budget for a separate DAC then the C5 amp is worth it.

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #2,184 of 2,420
@teston

The C5 DAC in amp only mode has ever so slightly less power. I tried it with my sabre DAC and the diffeeence was there. I find the bass and definition clearer and more pleasing on the C5 amp only. The DAC/amp is a worthy b choice if you want an all in one but the C5 amp with a good DAC beats it in marked and discernible ways - power, bass response, slam, clarity and details. The difference is like 10% but if you have the budget for a separate DAC then the C5 amp is worth it.

Thank you very much. I want it flexible so I bought the C5 DAC/Amp to pair with my smartphone on the go and pair with my DAC for home use, but still wandering if its amp is match with the C5 Amp version. If its differences is not that big then I don't have to look back on this 
happy_face1.gif

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #2,185 of 2,420
  Thank you very much. I want it flexible so I bought the C5 DAC/Amp to pair with my smartphone on the go and pair with my DAC for home use, but still wandering if its amp is match with the C5 Amp version. If its differences is not that big then I don't have to look back on this 
happy_face1.gif
o my ears, overkill with a telephone.  Best suited to a separate DAP.

To my ears, overkill with a cell phone.  Best suited to a seperate DAP.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #2,186 of 2,420
  To my ears, overkill with a cell phone.  Best suited to a seperate DAP.

lol, what do you mean by "overkill"? I find it quite convenient to used it as DAC/Amp when pairing with smartphone.
I don't have any DAPs with proper line output to used it as Amp.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #2,187 of 2,420
  lol, what do you mean by "overkill"? I find it quite convenient to used it as DAC/Amp when pairing with smartphone.
I don't have any DAPs with proper line output to used it as Amp.

First, the C5 is a big unit with lots of power.  I would use it from headphone out jack on your cell phone to the in on the C5.  Then try your setting Gain on Low.  Like I said, I don't believe Cayin designed this unit to be used with a cell phone.  Therefore, overkill.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #2,188 of 2,420
First, the C5 is a big unit with lots of power.  I would use it from headphone out jack on your cell phone to the in on the C5.  Then try your setting Gain on Low.  Like I said, I don't believe Cayin designed this unit to be used with a cell phone.  Therefore, overkill.

What would be the purposed application from your standpoint?

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #2,189 of 2,420

Again, that makes no sense.  it piggy backs very well to my v20, and my v20 has an excellent DAC.. why not pair it with a good phone and have an excellent mobile rig?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back