The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Jul 13, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #1,727 of 2,420
I d
Has anyone tried pairing Schiit Modi 2 with Cayin C5 amp ? and maybe can do a comparison with Dx90 + cayin C5 combo ? 

I don't have a modi but the audioengine b1 which fwir, has the same akm4396 dac.

The general impression is a moderately thick, warm sound with a treble sparkle that can be a bit sibilant on some bad recordings on the hd700. The 3D imaging and depth is about 1-2 rows in; on a c4398 you could go 3-4 rows deep. Quite intimate and upfront

The combo with a tf10 with silver cable gives very pleasant, liquid Mids.

An issue could be the speed and impact of the bass which is slow as compared to higher end dacs. Waiting for my audio gd nfb 11 to arrive to test the c5 with a sabre, but it's definitely fast on the cs4398 than the akm.

Hope this helps!

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #1,728 of 2,420
Just got one of these in the mail...I'm in love. Works very well with HD700s. Been using an xDuoo XD-03 (which is great, but has some flaws) and I'm hearing a wider soundstage, more clarity...and of course a hell of a lot more power not to mention it's pulling details out of songs I didn't even know where there. $159 well spent in my opinion, it's even better than the FiiO E12. 

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #1,729 of 2,420
I just wanted to say thank you to all that contributed to this thread. I would never have purchased the C5 if it wasn't for you all.

I've had mine for a few weeks now, and it is the best portable amp I have owned. My previous portable amps to compare to are: cmoy, fiio e11, fiio e12, & my previous favorite the C&C BH.
The C5 is much better than the previous mentioned amps... The bass boost is AMAZING! The sound stage is also noticeably better as well.

I've put well over 100+ hours on this thing and I swear the sound has gotten better.

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #1,732 of 2,420
Thank you for this - actually very helpful. I'll have to look in to one. 

Though that is good advice, I was looking for something else - something kinda compact that will still leave me with access to the amp. Think like a clear adhesive thingy they use for phones screens and the like. I saw somebody a very long while ago post a picture of a C5 or e12, at this point I can't remember, with an amazing carbon fiber pattern wrap. That would be ideally what I want.. but I assume expensive, haha. I can 3D print a case, but even that will be a bit big. I guess what I'm trying to say is just an adhesive wrap to preserve the exterior aesthetics. Mine came with a very noticeable ding that left a black mark and some scuffs - almost like I received an already used one. Got me to thinking, hell, when I have a pretty looking one I don't want to have anything happen to it.

Edit: Protective skin is probably a good word.

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #1,733 of 2,420
Hm, perhaps what you saw was someone who covered their amp with this type of carbon fiber wrap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Cool-Hot-Carbon-Fiber-Black-Vinyl-Film-Sheet-Wrap-Roll-Auto-Car-Sticker-Decor-/141412749747?hash=item20ecdb51b3&vxp=mtr

Won't offer much protection, other than scratches though.

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #1,734 of 2,420
  Hm, perhaps what you saw was someone who covered their amp with this type of carbon fiber wrap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Cool-Hot-Carbon-Fiber-Black-Vinyl-Film-Sheet-Wrap-Roll-Auto-Car-Sticker-Decor-/141412749747?hash=item20ecdb51b3&vxp=mtr

Won't offer much protection, other than scratches though.

Yep - something like that's what I'm looking for. I'll have a real case for carrying and such, but when it's just laying on my desk or I'm taking it around the house, I'd still like something to be on it. Sadly it seems like nothing is premade, but I'd say I'm pretty handy and I have decently expansive workshop access. 

The question is.. do I want a clear skin.. the C5 champagne is pretty beautiful.. or do I want something that will cover it up. Decisions. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #1,735 of 2,420
  Yep - something like that's what I'm looking for. I'll have a real case for carrying and such, but when it's just laying on my desk or I'm taking it around the house, I'd still like something to be on it. Sadly it seems like nothing is premade, but I'd say I'm pretty handy and I have decently expansive workshop access. 

The question is.. do I want a clear skin.. the C5 champagne is pretty beautiful.. or do I want something that will cover it up. Decisions. 

I'd go for something clear - I wouldn't want to cover up the C5 :p Maybe you can get a screen protector for a tablet, then cut it up to fit the C5. Might work out nicely.

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #1,736 of 2,420
after quite sometime being silent reader, bought it. Did some experiment.

X3 2nd Gen > Oyaide HPC-MSS > E07K > Oyaide HPC-MSS > Cayin C5 > ATH-m50x/DT 880 PRO = Private concert around me. 

just for me.

Amazing

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #1,737 of 2,420
  after quite sometime being silent reader, bought it. Did some experiment.

X3 2nd Gen > Oyaide HPC-MSS > E10K > Oyaide HPC-MSS > Cayin C5 > ATH-m50x/DT 880 PRO = Private concert around me. 

just for me.

Amazing

Cool! And that's quite the stack you have going there!

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,738 of 2,420
I got my cayin c5 about two months ago from Amazon. Metal ring on the volume knob is loose and spins freely with a 5mm ply. Really sucks but I'll gonna keep it as return period is over.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #1,739 of 2,420
I got my cayin c5 about two months ago from Amazon. Metal ring on the volume knob is loose and spins freely with a 5mm ply. Really sucks but I'll gonna keep it as return period is over.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Return period, yes. But you should still got you warranty and should take use of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back