The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Jan 8, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #2,391 of 2,420
I have both and, yes the C5 is very powerful and can drive just about any headphone you throw at it.

Jan 9, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #2,392 of 2,420
+1 on that. It puts some desktop amps to shame!

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #2,393 of 2,420
Apr 22, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #2,396 of 2,420
My Cayin C5 failed today. The left channel no longer outputs any sound, and the right channel seems to now contain both the left and right signals for some bizarre reason. In looking for a replacement I can't seem to find a new unit for sale anywhere.

Does anyone know of another portable amp that has a similar sound to the C5? Specifically I'm looking for at least the same wide sound stage, and the C5's 'clear' tonality without being thin. The other amps I have are either too thin in their sound (FiiO E17, A3), or lack a wide sound stage (ifi nano BL).

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #2,397 of 2,420
My Cayin C5 failed today. The left channel no longer outputs any sound, and the right channel seems to now contain both the left and right signals for some bizarre reason. In looking for a replacement I can't seem to find a new unit for sale anywhere.

Does anyone know of another portable amp that has a similar sound to the C5? Specifically I'm looking for at least the same wide sound stage, and the C5's 'clear' tonality without being thin. The other amps I have are either too thin in their sound (FiiO E17, A3), or lack a wide sound stage (ifi nano BL).

Xduoo XD05 with a replacement Burson V5i opamp.
That was my upgrade from the C5 and I was VERY happy with it.

Apr 22, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #2,398 of 2,420

Hi--
Just thought I would throw this out there although I'm pretty sure you would've checked this already...

--are you absolutely positive it's not a bad cable from (or earcup connection to) your headphone or bad line out cable?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #2,399 of 2,420
Unfortunately yes. The headphones, the 3.5mm cable between the DAP/C5, and the DAP itself works on other amps without any issues. This is a weird issue though. When I turn the amp on I can clearly hear a short audible hum in both channels, so it seems like the unit is still capable of sound out of both sides. When playing music the sound only comes out of the right channel. If I move the L/R balance all the way to the left, there is no change in what is coming out of the C5 (It SHOULD be silent, but there is full volume and full details coming from the right). If I move the balance all the way to the right the volume of the C5 decreases a bit and it loses that would be appearing on the left side (as expected). All said, it seems like the amp is now outputting both channels on the right only, and I have no idea as to how or why it would do that.

Apr 22, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #2,400 of 2,420
I had a similar thing happen to me about 2 years ago. Mine was still under warranty but it was a total mess for about 5 months trying to get it repaired. I ended up getting rid of it in recycling. However, I loved this amp - it is really something special. So I purchased 2 of them so I could have one as a backup. I had tried the ifi idsd bl, Mojo and the xDuoo XD05 with the Burson V5i opamp plus the usual Fiio amps. None of them was even a side grade to the C5. I just checked and there is a used one in like new condition on Amazon for around $190. I would snag it if I were you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back