The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Apr 22, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #2,401 of 2,420
I appreciate all of the replies. Misteral201103's reply led me to read all 116 pages in the Xduoo XD-05 thread, and I've now got an XD-05+ on the way as well as a Burson V5i. From everything I've read it is close to the aspects of the C5 that I'm going to miss the most (sound stage and clarity).

Last week I finally found audio nirvana pairing up an Ibasso DX120 to a Cayin C5, driving an Ultrasone signature DXP with a silver cable. Too bad it only lasted a week though. I'm going to keep watching out for a new or mostly new C5 to pop up on ebay or elsewhere to try and get it again. Used scares me a bit, especially since I've now had 2 C5's fail on me. I'd guess both of my units had a combined usage of less than 100 hours total. I wish the CQ was better on these units, as otherwise the C5 is fantastic.

-- Edit, just noticed that the XD-05+ now allows for two single op amps to be added. I may just harvest the OPA134's from the C5 to see if I can get most of the C5 sound back.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #2,403 of 2,420
Answering the question on what other amps can provide the Cayin C5 house sound, the answer is an 'Xduoo XD-05 Plus' with a Muses01 op amp. The Muses01 shares the same ultra wide sound stage, clean/airy sound, and defined fast bass. Overall that setup brings the same general sound signature with improved details, additional power, and additional input options. The Burson V5i is often touted as the op amp to use with the Xduoo, and I completely see why after trying it (it's really good), but the Muses01 ends up being closest to the C5 signature.

-Edit, after further testing I'm updating to say that the OPA2134 is a perfect match for getting the C5 sound from the Xduoo XD-05+. The Muses01 is really close, but the OPA2134 is near identical.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #2,404 of 2,420
Answering the question on what other amps can provide the Cayin C5 house sound, the answer is an 'Xduoo XD-05 Plus' with a Muses01 op amp. The Muses01 shares the same ultra wide sound stage, clean/airy sound, and defined fast bass. Overall that setup brings the same general sound signature with improved details, additional power, and additional input options. The Burson V5i is often touted as the op amp to use with the Xduoo, and I completely see why after trying it (it's really good), but the Muses01 ends up being closest to the C5 signature.
How difficult is it to change op amps in the XD-05 Plus? Is it plug-and-play, or is there soldering involved?

May 6, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #2,405 of 2,420
Very easy luckily. 4 torx screws on the front place, pull out the existing op amp with your fingers, and plug in the new one.

May 8, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #2,406 of 2,420
How difficult is it to change op amps in the XD-05 Plus? Is it plug-and-play, or is there soldering involved?

As @Dramlin says, zero soldering, full plug and play. Making sure the orientation is correct is the only requirement. Could only be easier if they sent someone to do it for you 😉👍

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #2,410 of 2,420
I just managed to find a new C5 in Bangkok. Ordered and it’s in the post already - should have it by Saturday. Really looking forward to trying it out.

EDIT: Turned up today. This is a really nice amp. Listening to Status Quo - Live (released 1977) and it's like being kicked in the face...in a good way. :)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #2,411 of 2,420
I just managed to find a new C5 in Bangkok. Ordered and it’s in the post already - should have it by Saturday. Really looking forward to trying it out.

EDIT: Turned up today. This is a really nice amp. Listening to Status Quo - Live (released 1977) and it's like being kicked in the face...in a good way. :)
I wanted to do a professional evaluation of the C5, comparing it to my existing DAPs and my one external amp but I've failed miserably. I just don't want to unplug from this beast. It's quite simply the most fun I've had listening to music since I was 16. I can feel the sweat dripping off Angus Young and Bon Scott, and nothing else matters.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #2,412 of 2,420
Yea this C5 little beast that I bought back in 2016 is still really fun to listen to. I recently received my Schiits Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3 stack and man, sometimes I do miss the bass boost feature from the C5. Chaining the Bifrost 2 to the C5 to my Ultrasone 900 gave me back the nice sub-bass. Can't wait to see how it'll sound like when I run it with my ZMF Verite Closed.

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #2,414 of 2,420
Yea this C5 little beast that I bought back in 2016 is still really fun to listen to. I recently received my Schiits Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3 stack and man, sometimes I do miss the bass boost feature from the C5. Chaining the Bifrost 2 to the C5 to my Ultrasone 900 gave me back the nice sub-bass. Can't wait to see how it'll sound like when I run it with my ZMF Verite Closed.

I know your post is from August but just wanted to mention that I the same idea of using the Cayin C-5 in order to give some extra sub-bass plus providing a bit of portability. Having also recently gotten the Schiit Loki I thought I would see how it interacted with the C-5's bass boost. Overall I'd say the C-5 does well with my set-up:

Android tablet/Tidal on UAPP via USB to--Modi2 Uber--Loki--Cayin C-5.

The key thing with the bass boost engaged on the Cayin is to use the Loki very sparingly, dialing back the low mid-range 400Hz a bit and, for my preferences with my HE-4XXs, dialing up the 2kHz and 8kHz slightly. Gives a pretty satisfying sound. The C-5 is such a beast though for its size at 800mW at 32Ohms and has that nice, warm, almost tube-like sound.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #2,415 of 2,420
When I switch from my Graham Slee Solo to the C5 I hear something very different that's not just a tonality change.

I HAVE to ask, is there a DSP (or otherwise) processing thing going on in the C5. E.g., stereo widening ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back