The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Dec 10, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,847 of 2,420
You may be able to connect the C5 version with the onboard DAC (less powerful than the standard C5, though) via the CCK.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #1,848 of 2,420
Hi guys, I'm selling a barely-used Cayin C5. It's a great amp (and looks amazing) but nowadays I prefer a neutral sig.

The classified's in my sig if anyone's interested.

Thanks for reading!

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #1,849 of 2,420
It's not bad per se, but you are adding two amp potential amp flavors to the mix. In an ideal world amps would be completely neutral and double amping would make no difference. I sometimes double amp and as long as it sounds good and you enjoy it, who cares if it's double amped :wink:

Well-put. If I can't notice any difference in sound quality, I really don't care too much, either. (It would be a different story in a recording environment, though, where 24-bit WAV / FLAC files are needed for that purpose.) For listening, 192 kbps MP3 is all I need.

I usually listen with the volume on my C5 amp at max and the gain switch on high, while controlling the volume from my Rockboxed iPod Classic.  When playing it at medium and high volume levels, the small hiss noise from the amp is drowned out and usually unnoticeable. When listening at low volume, though, I flip the gain switch on the C5 to low, and that gets rid of the hiss noise.

Most people can't notice anything less than 3% distortion, or anything more than 30-to-60 dB of dynamic range, anyway.

Well, click the big link below to relish my latest brand-new invention. It includes an entire set that's dedicated to matching the bass-boost switch on the Cayin C5 to sound good. Bon appetit! 
atsmile.gif

DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets, Version 3.0

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #1,850 of 2,420
Hi guys, I'm selling a barely-used Cayin C5. It's a great amp (and looks amazing) but nowadays I prefer a neutral sig.

The classified's in my sig if anyone's interested.

Thanks for reading!

The Cayin C5 sure sounds totally neutral provided you don't switch on the bass boost. What headphones or IEMs you're using that make your C5 not neutral sounding???

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #1,851 of 2,420
The Cayin C5 sure sounds totally neutral provided you don't switch on the bass boost. What headphones or IEMs you're using that make your C5 not neutral sounding???

Definitely added richness and slight warmth to my Harmony 8 Pro and HE400i. That was good synergy though. Also made my JH13 too smooth and unexciting. Nowadays I prefer to drive IEMs straight from my AK, and cans with the HiFi-M8.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #1,852 of 2,420
The Cayin C5 sure sounds totally neutral provided you don't switch on the bass boost.

Imo the C5 doesn't sound neutral. I would say it's on the warm side (which I like) compared to the neutral sound that my Hugo delivers. Even compared to my Headstage Arrow 5P I would still call it warm. But hey, that's just what my ears are telling my brain
rolleyes.gif

Cayin C5 is a great amp anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

@ezekiel77 GLWS!
beerchug.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,853 of 2,420

Imo the C5 doesn't sound neutral. I would say it's on the warm side (which I like) compared to the neutral sound that my Hugo delivers. Even compared to my Headstage Arrow 5P I would still call it warm. But hey, that's just what my ears are telling my brain
rolleyes.gif

Cayin C5 is a great amp anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Belongs to another thread, but I gotta ask, isn't the Headstage Arrow supposed to be the bass monster?

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #1,854 of 2,420
  Belongs to another thread, but I gotta ask, isn't the Headstage Arrow supposed to be the bass monster?

There is a bass (and treble) switch on it with 3 levels => you can turn it into a bass monster if you like that
L3000.gif

But when you don't activate it, it's quite neutral. Many different versions (I have the 5P) of the HA though...

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #1,855 of 2,420

There is a bass (and treble) switch on it with 3 levels => you can turn it into a bass monster if you like that
L3000.gif

But when you don't activate it, it's quite neutral. Many different versions (I have the 5P) of the HA though...

How would you compare the bass boosts on the Arrow and C5?

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #1,856 of 2,420

L3000.gif

How would you compare the bass boosts on the Arrow and C5?

I think with the 5P on medium level, the C5's bass boost might be slightly stronger. But when you put the 5P's bass on high level, then it kicks the C5's bass butt all over the place
biggrin.gif
Never use it on high though...just too much bass for me.

Besides that, I use the 5P mainly with my iems and the C5 mainly with headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #1,857 of 2,420
  Besides that, I use the 5P mainly with my iems and the C5 mainly with headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

That is true, the C5 volume knob is way too responsive for sensitive IEMs. Can't get the volume past 2.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #1,858 of 2,420
I use C5 at volume 2. I cannot get up to 3 though Earsonics are not sensitive IEMs.

Sure C5 add a little warmth but it also open the soundstage. It is not huge difference comparing AK JR alone with JR+C5 as soon as you have set volume on par on each combo (AK Jr at 50% versus JR on LO+ C5 at 2/10).
But the stage seems different with C5, the amp adds volume to the soundstage. To my ears at least. 

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #1,859 of 2,420
So if C5 has too much steam for sensitive IEMs, what would you recommend? Rzepa has heard Fiio E12A can also be too "loud".
Is there something suitable for sensitive IEMs and less power hungry cans, like Takstar Pro80 (those are louder than Rzepa's pfe012 :D) in a price similiar to C5 or E12A? (maybe slightly above, let's say 200$)

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #1,860 of 2,420
So if C5 has too much steam for sensitive IEMs, what would you recommend? Rzepa has heard Fiio E12A can also be too "loud".

Learn to love your DAP first haha.

If you're looking for a portable amp that's more IEM-friendly consider the ALO Rx or the new Aune B1 2016 edition. I haven't tried them but reviews are good for both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back