The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Aug 22, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #136 of 2,420

I am at work at the moment but I will do some listening tonight to see where it is at. I have been burning in the amp. Just letting them play after a full charge so I expect even more improvement from last time I tried using the FX850. Will report later tonight. 

Can't say I am sure your predator is a great amp. Do we need any gear we buy? The C5 is another flavor of sound that adds to your enjoyment. Each manufacturer tunes a sound to what they feel is proper. This one happens to be Cayin's, my first by the way.. I do own higher end amps in the ICON, NFB-5, ICAN, and 2stepdance all of them sound nice in one way or another and so does the C5. It hangs with the best of my amps and that is saying something for a $170 amp with brawn..Is it worth owning if you already own so and so amp? YES.. Another take on a sound is a good thing..It will be the best $170 you spent on an amp. 

I guess I'm somewhat different from a lot of people here who buy multiple items in the same category.  My gf is always on me with my impulsive buying so I prefer to have one of each thing (amp, dac, IEM, cans, portable amp, etc) as she sees it as being unnecessary to have more than one of each type of thing.  So I try to follow the rules so I have been buying and selling items hoping to be satisfied and try not to buy any more things at least for a half a year. lol    

Sure I would lose money if I sold the predator and bought the C5, but I would still have some bucks leftover to go towards my real money pit, going to the track.  A car track for lapping, not gambling.  lol

I used to do the same with cars, but I am finally done with that.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #137 of 2,420
I guess I'm somewhat different from a lot of people here who buy multiple items in the same category.  My gf is always on me with my impulsive buying so I prefer to have one of each thing (amp, dac, IEM, cans, portable amp, etc) as she sees it as being unnecessary to have more than one of each type of thing.  So I try to follow the rules so I have been buying and selling items hoping to be satisfied and try not to buy any more things at least for a half a year. lol    

Sure I would lose money if I sold the predator and bought the C5, but I would still have some bucks leftover to go towards my real money pit, going to the track.  A car track for lapping, not gambling.  lol

I used to do the same with cars, but I am finally done with that.

haha...thats why these e boys toys...if just for of sake of music, most setup will work great...once u toy around, thrn there is a need to decide which is better n settle one. If not that e tomahawk shuts down itself time to time...I wont be looking n find c5. Cos e fx850-x3-ttomahawk combo is already very good to my ears. As u mentioned, 1 set is enough..after all we have only a pair of ears.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #138 of 2,420
Vegas, How do you like the hydras sound, are you using with the fx850, if so are they too heavy for them. Am going to get them or the 4s but I'd like to really to get the 8s and of course possibly cayin c5 still up in the air but I think this will be the one.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #139 of 2,420
Listening to my DX90, C5 hooked up to the FX850. Best way to describe this combo is pure immersion. We have a player in the DX90 with dual ES9018M sabre dacs that is known for it's crisp detail and the line out is about as clean as it gets, hooked up to the sound expanding C5 then on the receiving end we have the FX850 which is known for it's large musical sound presentation.

What you get is a fantastic synergistic intoxicating mix of sound chemistry that one has to hear to truly appreciate.. Vocals on this combo emanates pure emotion and range. Having a DX90 is not a necessity me thinks as long as you have a clean line out as your source. This amp expands your source  to reach new heights.  Bass reaches deeper has more texture and aggression if called for. Instruments jumps out of the musical scope and surrounds your senses with every note and decay, stroke of the keys or pluck of the string..If sound could be equated to a type of meal. This would be a 12 course Lobster and steak meal at the grand hotel and you better pre book a room cuz your staying overnight and having your Scotch and cigar to cap off the evening.. Sound is very satisfactory..This amp is just a blast to listen to not just with my FX850 but with every earphone and headphone I own..It is definitely not your McDonalds cheezeburger takeout.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #140 of 2,420
Vegas, How do you like the hydras sound, are you using with the fx850, if so are they too heavy for them. Am going to get them or the 4s but I'd like to really to get the 8s and of course possibly cayin c5 still up in the air but I think this will be the one.

L3000.gif

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #141 of 2,420
  Listening to my DX90, C5 hooked up to the FX850. Best way to describe this combo is pure immersion. We have a player in the DX90 with dual ES9018M sabre dacs that is known for it's crisp detail and the line out is about as clean as it gets, hooked up to the sound expanding C5 then on the receiving end we have the FX850 which is known for it's large musical sound presentation.

What you get is a fantastic synergistic intoxicating mix of sound chemistry that one has to hear to truly appreciate.. Vocals on this combo emanates pure emotion and range. Having a DX90 is not a necessity me thinks as long as you have a clean line out as your source. This amp expands your source  to reach new heights.  Bass reaches deeper has more texture and aggression if called for. Instruments jumps out of the musical scope and surrounds your senses with every note and decay, stroke of the keys or pluck of the string..If sound could be equated to a type of meal. This would be a 12 course Lobster and steak meal at the grand hotel and you better pre book a room cuz your staying overnight and having your Scotch and cigar to cap off the evening.. Sound is very satisfactory..This amp is just a blast to listen to not just with my FX850 but with every earphone and headphone I own..It is definitely not your McDonalds cheezeburger takeout.

We are very happy to get your approval C5, both now and in the future, this is we want efforts.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #142 of 2,420
I am at work at the moment but I will do some listening tonight to see where it is at. I have been burning in the amp. Just letting them play after a full charge so I expect even more improvement from last time I tried using the FX850. Will report later tonight. 

Ok. Thanks in advance Dsnut. Looking forward to your DX50, C5 and FX850 impression.

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #143 of 2,420

I'm still waiting to get them.  Dealing with treoo and nocaudio is as bad as it gets.  They reply late or never at all once they have your money.  I hope that it's not too heavy as I do not usually wear them over the ear as some people do.  

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #144 of 2,420
So I have some very bad and surprising news. I loved everything about this amp but now comes a problem which I hope is an isolated case. After listening to it last night and placing the amp on my desk. It was never mishandled or dropped. It now has a short or some type if disconnect on the headphone in.. The line in and headphone in on the top of the amp where the volume knob is now defective. It sounds like I am underwater now. I was able to physically move the top portion back n forth and the sound would cut in and out. Now it is permanently out.

This is very disheartening as I was so sold on this amp. I do hope this is an isolated incident and that I got a rare lemon. I contacted ebay seller in hopes to replace the amp because it is clearly a lemon. Will keep you guys updated. If a 2nd amp one of you guys got has this same issue. We will have a serious issue. Otherwise I do hope this is just my amp.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #145 of 2,420
  So I have some very bad and surprising news. I loved everything about this amp but now comes a problem which I hope is an isolated case. After listening to it last night and placing the amp on my desk. It was never mishandled or dropped. It now has a short or some type if disconnect on the headphone in.. The line in and headphone in on the top of the amp where the volume knob is now defective. It sounds like I am underwater now. I was able to physically move the top portion back n forth and the sound would cut in and out. Now it is permanently out.

This is very disheartening as I was so sold on this amp. I do hope this is an isolated incident and that I got a rare lemon. I contacted ebay seller in hopes to replace the amp because it is clearly a lemon. Will keep you guys updated. If a 2nd amp one of you guys got has this same issue. We will have a serious issue. Otherwise I do hope this is just my amp.

I would like to clear it, through your actions, there is no recovery had sound, or always is so, so help me determine where the problem lies.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #146 of 2,420

That really sucks, I'm sorry that it happened to you. Hopefully you'll be able to find a solution with Thomas and It'll turn out to be a isolated case. We'll find out soon enough when the rest of us who has ordered it receive ours.

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #147 of 2,420
Dear Dsnuts, terrible sorry for the troubles we brought.
Now I suggest you may try it by the following way so that I could know why and how the problem happened, and I will also give solutions after I know more detail.
1.Plz put the Plastic portion onto C5, use the same cable and the earphones which you used in the beginning. (Not this headphone). By this way, if C5 works well and the sound is ok ?
If not so, it should be something wrong with the AMP. In this case, just inform me your post addr. And contact info., I will send you a new C5 AMP as soon as possible.
2.If the finished the 1st step and found the sound comes out problem get solved. Please kindly check yr cables and headphones. Try to plug them into right position TIGHTLY, to see whether it is work normally.
If not, please move the plastic portion, and plug it TIGHTLY again, to check whether it is workable.

Because it is deep night here in China, I am worried that there would be no reply from me in the following 8-10 hours, I hope yr understanding. And please trust us, we would try our double best to help you.

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #148 of 2,420
  Dear Dsnuts, terrible sorry for the troubles we brought.
Now I suggest you may try it by the following way so that I could know why and how the problem happened, and I will also give solutions after I know more detail.
1.Plz put the Plastic portion onto C5, use the same cable and the earphones which you used in the beginning. (Not this headphone). By this way, if C5 works well and the sound is ok ?
If not so, it should be something wrong with the AMP. In this case, just inform me your post addr. And contact info., I will send you a new C5 AMP as soon as possible.
2.If the finished the 1st step and found the sound comes out problem get solved. Please kindly check yr cables and headphones. Try to plug them into right position TIGHTLY, to see whether it is work normally.
If not, please move the plastic portion, and plug it TIGHTLY again, to check whether it is workable.

Because it is deep night here in China, I am worried that there would be no reply from me in the following 8-10 hours, I hope yr understanding. And please trust us, we would try our double best to help you.

^ This, folks, is the mark of a company that really cares :)

I'm saving up for a C5 of my own right now, I'm hoping to have it before Christmas :) Also, do Cayin have a webstore that we could order from, rather than having to trawl eBay for a legitimate seller?

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #149 of 2,420
So I removed the top plastic cover piece covering the volume nob and it seems the plastic cover piece is the culprit. When I place the cover back on there is a slight increase in spacing of the headphone and input jacks..So it seems my plugs are not sitting flush even thought the top plastic cover is flush with the top of the amp.

I would suggest to Cayin folk. You guys gotta replace the top plastic piece otherwise you guys are in for a lot of headaches.

In other words in order for my amp to work correct I have to take the black plastic cover off.
frown.gif
This is actually an easy DIY fix I am going to take a dremel tool and make a much wider hole where it covers the input and headphone jacks. When I press in the headphone jack it sounds correct so it is definitely the black plastic cover.

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #150 of 2,420
  ^ This, folks, is the mark of a company that really cares :)

I'm saving up for a C5 of my own right now, I'm hoping to have it before Christmas :) Also, do Cayin have a webstore that we could order from, rather than having to trawl eBay for a legitimate seller?

You could order them from shenzhen audio, very trusted seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back