The Car/Motorcycle/Motorsport/Anything fast enough to do something stupid in thread!
Feb 6, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #706 of 1,511
Feb 6, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #708 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know if you've all seen this: Aston Martin V12 Vantage: Four More Cylinders

That engine noise is worth the asking price on its own.

This is the definition of government stupidity: Oregon introduces bill to ban aftermarket car parts - Autoblog

I wonder why we can't get engineers (who actually KNOW THEIR STUFF) into government to help them stop proposing stupid ideas such as the one above.

Mmmmm how much do they sell kidneys for?

also with that bill it is a wanna be copy of C.A.R.B

Oregon was the hippy state than Cali took on C.A.R.B and was like Holla what we are now all earth friendly! Oregon is now following the trend. With that bill it is right now looking at Tyres and making sure you dont use ultra overly sticky tires with your geo metro on your daily drive. Just means once you get to the Auto X or Track you swap out your sticky tires for the day. Not a big deal people do the same thing with Cats already and at PIR do it with slicks on drag nights. I dunno super sticky tires are spendy if i had em i wouldnt roll on them everyday i'd use them as track tires. Lots of people already do this.

Feb 7, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #709 of 1,511
So..... tonight on the way home in my SVX, with two people, a full tank of gas, and 100lbs in powertools.... I came across a 1st generation CTS-V. Now, I know the thing has 400hp, and I normally don't bug people, but I really like those cars and wanted to see it go. It was mildly wet out. I caught him at a light, and started goosing the throttle. My SVX, with a boxer 6 and full stainless system from Stebro sounds pretty mean, but his sounded downright nasty. The light turned green, and I wasn't sure he was racing, so I just sorta eased on the throttle, moderately. Then I realized his tires were burning, so I punched it. I lept ahead, and stayed ahead until about 35mph, at which point he started getting traction, and then at about 45mph he passed me like I was standing still. Ran into him again at the next light, only this time, I punched stood on the brakes and preloaded the transmission a bit. Then when the light turned green I put the hammer down. I stayed in front til about 55mph... at which point he flew past me. Now.... I knew I was outgunned. I really just wanted to see the CTS-V do it's thing... but I wasn't expecting to have such an advantage. It wasn't raining, it wasn't snowy, it was just mildly moist. I wasn't even using my wipers, nor was anybody kicking up spray. It's just kinda weird. Either he's a horrible driver, the CTS-V is really hard to launch, or it just isn't that fast off the line. I have no idea. I just thought the ~170hp coupled with a LOT less drivetrain loss would have totally killed me. It would have been interesting to have a long highway, because I definitely have him beat in the aero dept. >shrug<

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #710 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by 928GTS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not believe I've heard an exhaust note that violent in many moons.

I was legitimately scared when it started revving.

Its actually down on power compared to the concept version, but then again the concept version had essentially just a race engine whereas this at least is street legal.

Still, I wish they could get rid of the ugly bonnet vents, but I do understand they are purely functional thanks to the amount of heat that V12 makes.

I'm trying to imagine driving that thing in today's 44 degree heat whilst idling in busy traffic.....hope Aston did their hot weather testing properly. Its absolutely scorching outside, and the fact that my car is black doesn't help.

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #711 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by 928GTS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not believe I've heard an exhaust note that violent in many moons.

I was legitimately scared when it started revving.

If you like violent exhaust notes, you need to hear the Evosport E60 M5 V10:
YouTube - Evosport E60 M5 Meisterschaft Exhaust

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #712 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I really like those cars

I rather like them too. Seems like a pretty darn good value on a 1st gen these days for the price they're going for.

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #715 of 1,511
Driving fast in the rain is fun.
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #716 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know if you've all seen this: Aston Martin V12 Vantage: Four More Cylinders

That engine noise is worth the asking price on its own.

Stunning car!
A guy down the road have one, the 8 cylinder of course, and its really beautiful. And what an engine sound...

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #717 of 1,511
Has anyone in Europe seen a Carver on the roads? There aren't too many of them out there, apparently. See here: Carver

It's an interesting concept, and looks like it would be a blast on twisty roads, but it's snail slow! 0-100 kph (or 0-62 mph) in 8.2 seconds. No thanks, at least not at the entry price (effective until the end of 2007) of $31k Euros. I'd imagine the prices have gone up since then, and with some options added in you could be talking more like $40k Euro.

Not available yet in the North American market, which is probably a good thing! I've still got room in my trailer (in the upper berth of the car lift above the Atom) for something fun.

While I think this would be fun, I don't think it will be worth the money they're asking given the performance limitations. I'll probably end up with a bike that offers twice the performance for less than half the cost.

Of course, you can't really drop the Carver onto to your favorite self, so that's a good thing! It's also very cool that the hardtop is removable, so it gives you a convertible bike/car. Interesting concept. Perhaps in another 3-4 years there will be competitive products that are more reasonably priced.

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #718 of 1,511
I can see something like a Carver with an electric drivetrain being a cool city runabout, but they're asking too much. Mass production would bring prices down though.

When's Gordan Murray revealing his T25 city car? Should be sometime soon I think. I really look forward to this one; Gordan Murray is someone I admire very much.

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #720 of 1,511
Ugh... it's an automatic.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back