The Car/Motorcycle/Motorsport/Anything fast enough to do something stupid in thread!
Jan 6, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #466 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish Group B was still around....
frown.gif

Yeah, those were the days...
bigsmile_face.gif

Ford RS200, Audi S1, Peugeot 205 T16, Lancia Delta S4, and such.

Miss those days.

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #467 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, those were the days...
bigsmile_face.gif

Ford RS200, Audi S1, Peugeot 205 T16, Lancia Delta S4, and such.

Miss those days.

Yea, seriously, today's racing will never be as great as back in the old days.

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #470 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back then, motorsport was about who had the biggest balls.

No, balls is only a quarter of it, it's really all about the skills. As your skills get better, your balls grows larger.

Hey krmathis, check out the documentary "Too Fast to Race" on Youtube, it's a 7 part movie about how and why Group B was banned. Amazing stuff, check it out.

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #471 of 1,511
I got it off the internet not too long ago. It really is fantastic for Group B addicts like myself.

How I wish we had 600bhp WRC Cars (Yes, I know hillclimb specials and Pikes peaks cars can push out more than 1000bhp)! Modern WRC cars are already faster because chassis, tyres and aero have developed and matured so quickly, so imagine how fast they would be with more powerful engines!

Jan 7, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #472 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got it off the internet not too long ago. It really is fantastic for Group B addicts like myself.

How I wish we had 600bhp WRC Cars (Yes, I know hillclimb specials and Pikes peaks cars can push out more than 1000bhp)! Modern WRC cars are already faster because chassis, tyres and aero have developed and matured so quickly, so imagine how fast they would be with more powerful engines!

Actually, probably not faster at all. Ari Vatanen once said that his 600WHP 205 has so much power already that if there's any more, it would just be uncontrollable and that you would have to go slower. And I would have to agree since having more power on Rally is completely different than having more power on track.

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #473 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey krmathis, check out the documentary "Too Fast to Race" on Youtube, it's a 7 part movie about how and why Group B was banned. Amazing stuff, check it out.

Thanks for the tip!
Sure will check them out, as I am interesting in knowing why they are no more. Even if I can guess why...

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #474 of 1,511
Yes, they were amazing weren't they, those group B's, although I', too young to have been around when they were racing.
You still get some of them in rallycross, try typing rallycross into youtube, there's plenty of Quattros and RS200's flying around tiny tracks together, made even more exciting by the fact theres more than one car in the race at once.

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #476 of 1,511
They pulled Group B because it was getting too dangerous. Audi also went the "thinking" Torsen route, which apparently did too much thinking and put cars in ditches.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #477 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
9blbUZyqwSQ

Completely insane and totally unbelievable that hundreds of people would be standing within the kill zone, especially on those tight corners. Anything could go wrong at any moment with any car in the race (I'm assuming there are many more cars that we don't see) which could easily kill a half dozen people and maim a dozen more. I'm dumbfounded that the organizers would allow it, and even more so that people would risk their lives like that.

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #478 of 1,511
Having been to quite a few pro rallies.... now it's the opposite. They make you stand about 20 ft away from any part of the road, even the straights. There are trees in the way, along with brush, and you can't see very well. All in all, rally, from a spectator's point of view, has gone downhill severely in the past 3-5 years. Lawyers got involved and now they just make it a crappy expereince for any fan.

Jan 8, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #479 of 1,511
I was in the kill zone some years back. Had a Porsche 993 miss me, girlfriend and my brother by less than a metre and wound up pinning a woman under it braking her arm and leg.

Happened again this year on the same event, but this time a woman lost her leg from below the knee.

And that was just a hillclimb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back