The Bose NC 700 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Jul 22, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #31 of 202
The sonys do sound thick. So far the H9 3rd is my favourite in sound. I found the bose700- when switching between headphones, that they sound kind of harch and artificial in comparison. Actually do like the qc35 better in both sound and comfort over the 700's maybe im just weird :)

I'll have to try the new H9s. FWIW, I don't find either Bose as "harsh". Extended and more open than the Sony's for sure. I hope the Mk4 Sony fixes this.

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #33 of 202
Still worse ANC performance than Sony XM3.

Took them on a flight with my buddy's XM3 last week (2 day business trip)...I found the NC700 better at noise cancelling FWIW, but the margin was small.

Aug 8, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #36 of 202
I got these today.

I need to do more testing against my older Bose QC35II but these could be less neutral? There is some funny stuff happening in the upper region unlike the Bose QC35 II. But overall it is still very balanced with no peak hitting at me. It is still better than the Sony WH-1000XM3 in that regard.

These are definetly the best ANC headphones at the moment. My ears do not get hot (like on the Sony’s) and my ears have my room (my ears easily touch the drivers on the Sony also) while being an improvement overall over the Bose QC 35II except for the upper region.

But considering that the Bose QC35II and Sony WH-1000XM3 (did I get the name right) sell for less than $300 at the moment, it is not a clear win. It all depends how much that extra $100 is worth to you. If $400 is not a problem, then Bose NC 700 is the way to go.

And I use an iPhone XS by the way. If I had an Android phone, i would consider something else as AAC is terrible on Android phones.

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #37 of 202
I used these for a 1 hour phone call with my girlfriend today.

According to her, the call quality has never been better. So the improved mic’s are not just marketing BS.

I guess these are my go to’s for making phone calls now.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #38 of 202
After using these a day in the office, I must admit that the comfort is not on the same level as the Bose QC35 II. So maybe the Bose QC 35 II could still be best for long time use (I am willing to trade in a worse sound for more comfort to be honest).

But Bose did very good on the sound department. I was comparing these against the legendary Sennheiser HD 650 (both using the Chord Poly / Mojo) and the Bose (wired) is tuned very similar. The Bose has more sub bass and there is a slight dip in the upper region somewhere, but else they are not that far off each other. So the Bose NC 700 is very balanced.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #39 of 202
My Bose 700 arrived today and can hear faint wind like sounds in the left ear cup with music playing/music silent/anc on/anc off - basically all the time.

These replaced my Sony WH1000XM3 which to me had great sound in AptX with my LG TV, but sounded harsh and low resolution with AAC = iPhone/AppleTV.

My brother is borrowing my Audeze Mobius [AAC/LDAC] and they are much better quality on all devices, but no ANC.

I might return the Bose and stick with Mobius.

Wanted ANC due to outside noise, but can always close my windows.

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #40 of 202
My Bose 700 arrived today and can hear faint wind like sounds in the left ear cup with music playing/music silent/anc on/anc off - basically all the time.

These replaced my Sony WH1000XM3 which to me had great sound in AptX with my LG TV, but sounded harsh and low resolution with AAC = iPhone/AppleTV.

My brother is borrowing my Audeze Mobius [AAC/LDAC] and they are much better quality on all devices, but no ANC.

How do you find the comfort compared to the 1000XM3?

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #41 of 202

Sound quality wise, I'd take the Mobius over either the Sony or Bose...not even close to my ears. :)

Aug 17, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #44 of 202
Sound quality is better on Bose with iPhone/iPad compared to Sony with iPhone/iPad.

However I expect Sony to be better with Android devices supporting AptXhd or LDAC.

BOSE AAC codec is not simply off the shelf like Sony and others. It is superior with advanced processing added by MIT University Engineering.

Anyway- Mobius sounds best due to excellent speakers - fast planner..

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #45 of 202
The sonys do sound thick. So far the H9 3rd is my favourite in sound. I found the bose700- when switching between headphones, that they sound kind of harch and artificial in comparison. Actually do like the qc35 better in both sound and comfort over the 700's maybe im just weird :)

Yeah I agree, the 35 sounds better. RTINGS backs that up with measurements. The 700 is a feature winner since I’m always on the phone.

According to Bose, there will be an update with eq added to the app. Once that arrives, I plan to pull back the treble by 1-2db & see where that lands. Maybe add 1-3db on the bass side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back