The Bose NC 700 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Jul 11, 2019 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 202

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Well, my new Bose NC 700's just arrived and so far I am fairly impressed with their build quality, comfort, improved SQ and the NC is off the charts!

I thought the QC35II and WH-1000MK3 where off the charts good with regards to noise cancellation, but with 4 mics in each ear-cup, the engineers at Bose have really kicked things up a notch!

I really like the minimalist design. While they no longer fold up like the QC35II, the corresponding case is actually thinner than either the QC35II or WH-1000MK3 ones.

Anyone else pick these up?

Jul 12, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 202
How are these for 'ear cooking' ?

My only beef with the Sony MK3s is they cook my ears if used on the move or in even a slightly warm environment.

Isn’t that usually the case with any closed-back headphones because of physics?

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 202
Isn’t that usually the case with any closed-back headphones because of physics?

The Bose QC-35 II doesn’t get warm like the Sony. It was one of the reasons I did not buy the Sony’s.

I will also be picking up the Bose NC 700 once it becomes available unless i find serious flaws with it.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 202
How are these for 'ear cooking' ?

My only beef with the Sony MK3s is they cook my ears if used on the move or in even a slightly warm environment.

Not bad at all. Though the QC35II might have been a bit better in this regards. Sound wise, NC wise and build quality wise go to the NC 700s though.

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 202
Not bad at all. Though the QC35II might have been a bit better in this regards. Sound wise, NC wise and build quality wise go to the NC 700s though.
I'm still waiting for Rtings to show their ANC measurements to compare them.

I'm impressed with the call mic ANC performance. It's pretty amazing. The voice comes through clear in a 75dB noisy environment. I wish Bose is able to get higher codecs for their wireless connection. They are limited to AAC.

Why this is significant is, there is nothing out there comparable in cancelling or filtering out such high noise levels for calls.

Big advantage of high performing ANC headphones is drowning out low frequency noise such as vehicle engine, airconditioner compressors, etc.. Even the best passive noise isolation do not perform as well in the low frequencies (low frequencies leaks in somehow). In the high frequncies ANC has limitations compared to the best passive noise isolation.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 202
I'm still waiting for Rtings to show their ANC measurements to compare them.

I'm impressed with the call mic ANC performance. It's pretty amazing. The voice comes through clear in a 75dB noisy environment. I wish Bose is able to get higher codecs for their wireless connection. They are limited to AAC.

Big advantage of high performing ANC headphones is drowning out low frequency noise such as vehicle engine, airconditioner compressors, etc.. Even the best passive noise isolation do not perform as well in the low frequencies.

I used to be a big Rtings fan and then I had an experience where they rated 2 sets of headphones I have about the same in sound quality while the difference was actually laughable. I can A/B them and its an absurd difference. Focal Stellas and the WH-1000XM3s. 7.6 versus 7.2.

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 202
I used to be a big Rtings fan and then I had an experience where they rated 2 sets of headphones I have about the same in sound quality while the difference was actually laughable. I can A/B them and its an absurd difference. Focal Stellas and the WH-1000XM3s. 7.6 versus 7.2.
Rtings rating definately has bias (Bose sponsored) and subjective preference. The way they interpret measurements doesn't seem to be the best, and also shows measurement bias. Their subjective (based on listening) scoring suffers due to this.

I find their measurements useful to look at though.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 202
Bought both the 1000xm3s and the 700nc...the 700ncs couldn't go back fast enough. Sound quality at anything more than 50% volume on my Pixel 3 was terrible. They have some sort of limiting EQ on the bass region that basically turns it off at higher volumes. Pretty sure the reason is because they start to sound bad at about that level. So yeah, not a fan. The 1000xm3s are quite a bit better sounding. From all the reviews I've read, only the mics are better on the Bose. So if you use them for a lot of phone calls, they are definitely the NC headphone to get.

Jul 17, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 202
Bought both the 1000xm3s and the 700nc...the 700ncs couldn't go back fast enough. Sound quality at anything more than 50% volume on my Pixel 3 was terrible. They have some sort of limiting EQ on the bass region that basically turns it off at higher volumes. Pretty sure the reason is because they start to sound bad at about that level. So yeah, not a fan. The 1000xm3s are quite a bit better sounding. From all the reviews I've read, only the mics are better on the Bose. So if you use them for a lot of phone calls, they are definitely the NC headphone to get.

Well, the Bose NC 700 should be used with an iPhone as Android phones are terrible with the AAC codec.

Android phones are only good with aptX or LDAC.

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #12 of 202
How about with my iPad Pro or Macbook Pro? Yeah, tried those too...not impressed with either in comparison. They just don't sound good to me and the sound profiles I like. Understood about the codecs, for sure. Didn't notice much of a difference.

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 202
Well, the Bose NC 700 should be used with an iPhone as Android phones are terrible with the AAC codec.

Android phones are only good with aptX or LDAC.
That makes no sense. Codec is the same, at the same bitrate. How can one platform be worse at using the same codec?

Hopefully, Bose didn't try to match Sony's bass boosted stock sound.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #14 of 202
How about with my iPad Pro or Macbook Pro? Yeah, tried those too...not impressed with either in comparison. They just don't sound good to me and the sound profiles I like. Understood about the codecs, for sure. Didn't notice much of a difference.

So you prefer the overly thick, slow and bassy Sony's? Sorry, not for me by a long shot...they sound way to plodding and thick. EQ didn't help either with the speed...or lack thereof.

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #15 of 202
So you prefer the overly thick, slow and bassy Sony's? Sorry, not for me by a long shot...they sound way to plodding and thick. EQ didn't help either with the speed...or lack thereof.
I didn't realize how awful the Sony's sounded until I bought some new high-end headphones. Its an unfair comparison, but the bass on the Sony really just destroys the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back