THE BHSE DEPRESSED AWAITING DELIVERY THREAD
Dec 8, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #16 of 77
I'm more confused by the people who read a Headamp thread, order the product after seeing evidence of long waits, then start complaining about waiting. Someone wanting product quickly or on a defined schedule shouldn't order from Justin.

Agreed, but I think the problem is actually communication. Justin would probably eliminate most of it if he could provide regular updates, or at least be reachable. I put down a $1700 deposit and sent an email just making sure everything was in order. And ... nothing. Did he get the money? Is everything fine?

I'm not criticizing but making an observation, I'm sure he's really busy, but I do think that's a major factor. 

I agree that all of your suggestions would be improvements.

Just being pragmatic about the Headamp process. The good news - everyone, myself included (GSX-mk2) appear to receive their order and are happy with the products. The bad news - Justin may be slightly less efficient than Amazon when it comes to communications and delivery timetable estimation....

I understand this doesn't work for everyone, particularly if you don't already have reasonably good gear to enjoy while waiting.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #17 of 77
To keep myself entertained while I wait I just ordered a set of boards and transformer from Birgir, and will be building a KGSSHV.

Should be amusing and will be interesting to compare the two.

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #18 of 77
I want a video of the first power on...
very_evil_smiley.gif

not saying you are not going to do a good job, but you know, just in case.
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #19 of 77
  I want a video of the first power on...
very_evil_smiley.gif

not saying you are not going to do a good job, but you know, just in case.
biggrin.gif

lol ... yeah, I've designed and built a couple dozen tube and SS components by now, SET's, OTL's, an entire chain from phono to amps, and I have to admit this jobbie has me feeling a bit cautious 

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #20 of 77
Been toying with the idea of making one of them myself. But I r ME, not EE. I would hate to let the magic smoke out at the voltage this thing has. That being said I've done my fair share of soldering and building projects, too. Mostly low voltage stuff, though.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #21 of 77
Been toying with the idea of making one of them myself. But I r ME, not EE. I would hate to let the magic smoke out at the voltage this thing has. That being said I've done my fair share of soldering and building projects, too. Mostly low voltage stuff, though.

I'm a software guy that works at a EE company (I'm the one they lock in a closet and feed pizza under the door). We have a fully stocked Lab Stock I can get various parts from (nothing worse than needing a resistor and having to order it). Plus I've got a pretty well stocked private lab bench (no test equipment yet though - need to get a Rigol scope). Anyhow the main thing is having done a few projects. This one is novel in that it's some 500V with silicon which is worrysome. My first thought was "OK, those IC's need proper insulation from the heatsinks", and then found somebody that said "MAKE SURE YOU INSULATE THE IC'S FROM THE HEATSINKS PROPERLY!"

The main difficulty is sourcing and instructions. It's scattered around, not a lot of guidance though there are threads and some people you can try pinging. Parts are getting hard to find too, especially some of the silicon.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #22 of 77
Maybe I'll keep notes here on the progress of this amp.

Parts:

The hardest parts to source I thought are the boards, obsolete IC's, the transformers, sockets and the case (

Boards: Birgir kindly keeps extras for sale, looks like I got the last set

$120
http://mjolnir-audio.com/?page_id=73

IC's: 2SC4686A are getting hard to get, though Birgir has verified that Chinese sellers seem to be selling the real thing

I scored 11 off one eBay supply house on the east coast, and another 8 from France

$160

Transformer: Need +-450/160mA or +-500 and 30VCT/400mA toroidal. Birgir again kindly had an extra for $170

Sockets
Justin sells teflon sockets, I bought the 5 pack
$100

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Teflon-Chassis-Jack-for-Stax-Headphones-from-HeadAmp-/280935223236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41690b4fc4

Case:

I'll probably go with the DIY 4U, Larger than I need but I've learned to leave extra room
$329
http://www.diyaudio.com/store/amplifier-chassis/full-width-40mm-heatsinks/deluxe-amplifier-chassis-enclosure-4u-216.html

So that's all the hard parts, then the fiddly bits.

This page has the best instructions and an out of date BOM

http://tee8tee4388.blogspot.com/2013/07/kgsshv-amplifier.html

I was able to import most of it into Mouser, with some five or six out of stock/obsolete parts. Still searching around, looks like it'll be around

$150

in parts maybe

Still need volume control, considering transformer volume control, or GoldPoint.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #23 of 77
Hi guys, I one of those people on here that is waiting for my BHSE that is not really an active member of the head-fi community. I do have other head gear, but I have for most of my audiophile years been more on the side of speaker audio. I got warmed to the BHSE after I had a chance to listen to them over 2.5 years ago. I've been waiting in the queue for my BHSE since December of 2012, so I would expect to be close to getting it. I really didn't mind the wait, however my life has changed quite a bit in the last two years.

The problem I have now is that I just found out that I am most likely being deployed internationally soon, and this time I am not sure where I am going or how long I will stay in one particular place. I can't provide more details but needless to say I will not be able to receive the BHSE once I am gone (international delivery is not an option), so I am really not sure what to do now... Its a sad thing to have to wait for such a long time and not being able to take delivery.

What do you guys think? I already asked Justin if he thinks I will get it before I leave, but he hasn't responded. Do you think I can ask for a refund? Should I sell it? I could have someone else take delivery of the item I suppose, although I really don't know who I would ask to keep it for me to be honest.

What would you do in my situation? Your advice is appreciated, particularly since I am not really an active contributing member.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #24 of 77
There are a lot of details missing here. How long are you going to be gone, is there going to be anyone who can take delivery, is it going to be delivered before you leave, etc etc. You don't have to answer those questions here. But just food for thought.

Keep in mind that you can always sell it. There are many other people who want one. And considering the circumstances I would like to think Justin would understand and refund your money. He will not have any problems selling it to someone else.

I guess it really boils down to one question. How much do you really want a BHSE?

I personally would take delivery of it even if it sat waiting for me. I would have a family member or close friend store it for me with instructions to not open it up. I would also give them the details they would need to sell it if I did not come back after a predetermined amount of time. The same thing I did when I was in the Navy for all my stuff (vehicles, firrarms, etc).

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #25 of 77
There are a lot of details missing here. How long are you going to be gone, is there going to be anyone who can take delivery, is it going to be delivered before you leave, etc etc. You don't have to answer those questions here. But just food for thought.

Keep in mind that you can always sell it. There are many other people who want one. And considering the circumstances I would like to think Justin would understand and refund your money. He will not have any problems selling it to someone else.

I guess it really boils down to one question. How much do you really want a BHSE?

I personally would take delivery of it even if it sat waiting for me. I would have a family member or close friend store it for me with instructions to not open it up. I would also give them the details they would need to sell it if I did not come back after a predetermined amount of time. The same thing I did when I was in the Navy for all my stuff (vehicles, firrarms, etc).

Thanks bearFNF. In terms of how long I will be away, it will most likely be for 9-12 months, but could be for an additional 9 months. The problem with having someone taking delivery on my behalf is that my family are all located very far away (most not even in the USA) and I live in NYC, where most of my friends live in shoeboxes with no capacity to keep a box for me. I do have a friend with a house out on Staten Island so I am going to ask him. You are right though about the ultimate question, and I really wouldn't mind having the thing just sit in a box until I come back if that is a good option. I guess I am going to just try again to get in touch with Justin to find out if I get it before I leave (so I can put it in storage with everything else) and if not then hopefully my friend with the house can take it.

I was thinking about another option, although I admit I haven't thought this through completely and maybe its a really stupid idea, but would a respectable member of this community want to rent it from me for a year? If I rented it out at a reasonable "wear and tear" rate and figure out a way that I am captured under some kind of insurance it could be useful to someone considering the purchase of one or waiting for one in the next batch? This way someone actually gets to enjoy it. Maybe this is really a stupid idea though, because a die hard headfier might not want to return it :wink: 

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #26 of 77
Well, that and do you know them well enough to be sure they will treat the amp like you would and are willing to take the responsibility?

Rough situation to be in.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #27 of 77
To keep myself entertained while I wait I just ordered a set of boards and transformer from Birgir, and will be building a KGSSHV.

Should be amusing and will be interesting to compare the two.

Ha, you might just prefer the KGSShv, sounds great with my 009s. They are really close IMO, really just different takes on the music but not one better than the other. Possibly the KGSShv 450v off-board Sanyo is warmish which helps tilt the 009s away from it's possibly tad analytical presentation.

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #28 of 77
If Justin would allow such a thing, and you'd run out of other options, I'd be happy to pay for your place in line and take over payments for the BHSE. My Stax 009 and HE 60 would love you :)

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #29 of 77
So Justin sent out an email to the present victims suckers clients to pick colors. I took blue, it looks pretty saturated in the picture he sent, but the one he posted recently shows it as a nice regular blue, so anyhow looks good to me. Progress!

Meanwhile I've got most of my parts for a KGSSHV except some that are on backorder. I'll post full details here and on the web on this build, just for documentation for others. The biggest issue is finding parts, various resistors and capacitors are EOL. 

I'm still looking for a chassis, ideally small and predrilled. Anybody with a lead please post!

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #30 of 77
  So Justin sent out an email to the present victims suckers clients to pick colors. I took blue, it looks pretty saturated in the picture he sent, but the one he posted recently shows it as a nice regular blue, so anyhow looks good to me. Progress!

Meanwhile I've got most of my parts for a KGSSHV except some that are on backorder. I'll post full details here and on the web on this build, just for documentation for others. The biggest issue is finding parts, various resistors and capacitors are EOL. 

I'm still looking for a chassis, ideally small and predrilled. Anybody with a lead please post!

You will get more response on that over at the 'other' place. There are some who have bought off-the-shelf chassis, and others who have made them themselves. Good luck. Which amp are you building, the on-board or off-board, and which chip set?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back