The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Feb 25, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #871 of 1,323
I just saw something describing the 1350's treble as "too strident"... has anyone else thought this? Maybe I've been stuck in the V for too long or am underpowered, but the 1350s seem fairly flat to me (unless it's from the music like peaky lo-fi black metal from a cassette or something, which seems to back up my flatness impression) :\

That "something" must have mixed up the upper midrange and treble. The latter I'd rather describe as slightly recessed.

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #873 of 1,323

Thanks plakat. I'm starting with about:berlin vol 9. Found it on spotify, and I'm really enjoying the tunes. Awesome stuff.

Oh, and I vote to change the name of this thread to "The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 and EDM Fan Club" 
biggrin.gif

Glad you like it -- my favorite one so far was Vol. 6

I second the motion....EDM sounds ridiculously good on these headphones, so it would only be right :)

Very much so. They really excel with electronica of all kinds. And even if the count of headphones I own may suggest otherwise I'm actually interested in listening to music more than comparing equipment...

Btw.: I think the DT250 is an over-ear with a somewhat similar sound signature. Still more midbass and a bit less treble though, so not quite there. But well worth its price.

I just saw something describing the 1350's treble as "too strident"... has anyone else thought this? Maybe I've been stuck in the V for too long or am underpowered, but the 1350s seem fairly flat to me (unless it's from the music like peaky lo-fi black metal from a cassette or something, which seems to back up my flatness impression) :\

I can sometimes hear a bit of an elevated upper midrange (depending on source and, of course, recording), but treble is smooth to my ears.

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #874 of 1,323
I just modded my DT 1350 so that the cable is removable. I can now use any cable with a 3.5mm connector for the headphone end.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618332/dismantling-guide-for-the-dt-1350-should-help-with-re-cabling-and-modinng#post_11450263

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #875 of 1,323
  I just modded my DT 1350 so that the cable is removable. I can now use any cable with a 3.5mm connector for the headphone end.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618332/dismantling-guide-for-the-dt-1350-should-help-with-re-cabling-and-modinng#post_11450263

nice! (also fixes the horrible cable microphonics... idk if every build has that but mine sure does.... even my beard makes noise in the cable)

Mar 27, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #876 of 1,323
nice! (also fixes the horrible cable microphonics... idk if every build has that but mine sure does.... even my beard makes noise in the cable)

Yes! I wanted a remote, and the stock cable is noisy I agree. Unfortunately, the cable I bought is also noisy, even though it's cloth covered. I just discovered an audio DIY store here in Taipei so I'll try and make my own.

BTW, the epoxy didn't hold, so I'm going to have to get a glue gun to secure the jack in the earcup.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #877 of 1,323
Hello everyone,

I am also the owner of the great DT1350. It has been two years now and I am still impressed by their precision and clarity.
Unfortunately yesterday a friend of mine (completely wasted) pulled the cable with his leg and twisted a bit the metalic frame. We have been able to torn it back but the left earpad is still a bit loosy, it won't stick to the hear as before - the bottom of the earpad opens up letting environnment sound in. I have been looking over it for hours but I can't find were it is twisted or how to repair it. Though after a good thinking I was able to improve a bit the problem with a plier, not yet perfect...
Does anyone has ever been able to repair a twisted headphone like this?

PS: I add the pictures, it may help

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #878 of 1,323

Aubrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately yesterday a friend of mine (completely wasted) pulled the cable with his leg and twisted a bit the metalic frame.

The solution is quite simple. Your (completely wasted) friend should buy you a new pair, and he can have your damaged one.

Sorry, that's not very helpful. All I can suggest is to use pliers to bend the yoke back to its original shape. This may be hard to do with the earcup still attached. So you can try following the instructions in this thread to unclip the earcups from the yoke.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618332/dismantling-guide-for-the-dt-1350-should-help-with-re-cabling-and-modinng

The photos are here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10150996403484830
If you get the earcup off, you should be able to bend the yoke back to it's original shape.

Note: it shouldn't be necessary to unsolder the wires, so just skip those steps.
Good luck!

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #879 of 1,323

The solution is quite simple. Your (completely wasted) friend should buy you a new pair, and he can have your damaged one.

I agree completely!! I would rage if someone busted any of my nicer headphones because they were boozin'

May 15, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #880 of 1,323
Hi dear dt1350 fans,

I've had this baby for about 3 months now and day by day i'm getting more impressed by it's fabulous sound quality(T1's baby). After looking at the advertisement regarding completely lack of distortion at any volume i was so curious to see if distortion happen on my system or not. So i did set my sound card gain to high(high gain = 3.52v or +12dB output power) and also i cranked bass up (by about +15dB on 55Hz @ foobar2000--->set to ASIO). Then i played a trance with 50% volume for about 3 minutes. Although my skull got earthquake shaking but surprisingly i didn't notice any distortion.The sound was so clear at those crazy high volume!
Now my question is that can the mentioned situation above be harmful for the headphone? in particular dt1350?

May 15, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #881 of 1,323
Hi dear dt1350 fans,

I've had this baby for about 3 months now and day by day i'm getting more impressed by it's fabulous sound quality(T1's baby). After looking at the advertisement regarding completely lack of distortion at any volume i was so curious to see if distortion happen on my system or not. So i did set my sound card gain to high(high gain = 3.52v or +12dB output power) and also i cranked bass up (by about +15dB on 55Hz @ foobar2000--->set to ASIO). Then i played a trance with 50% volume for about 3 minutes. Although my skull got earthquake shaking but surprisingly i didn't notice any distortion.The sound was so clear at those crazy high volume!
Now my question is that can the mentioned situation above be harmful for the headphone? in particular dt1350?

As long as there is no distortion the driver is not stressed. But that depends on the headphone of course, one pushes out a given volume without breaking a sweat while another won't survive the same level (sustained).
I think Beyerdynamic quotes the DT1350 as capable of delivering 129dB before distorting, which makes it more likely that your ears get damaged before the headphone breaks.

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #882 of 1,323
I can't make a decision between the T51P and the DT1350. I listen exclusively to EDM (mainly trance). The only on-ear headphones I have previously owned were a set of the Beats Solo HD 2 that were gifted to me, which I gave away after a week (good bass, that is about all) and a cheap pair of Grado's which got damaged many years ago.

I have owned the Yamaha EPH-100 IEM which I got rid of due to microphonics. I have also owned the Shure 215 LTD and 535 but could not get either to fit well in my ears.I had a pair of BOSE earbuds for running, but lost them about six months ago. At the moment I am just using the Apple supplied ear buds from my iPhone 6 Plus which I find are really comfortable.

I am not an audiophile. I just want a good sound and NO microphonics.

Whatever headphones I buy will be straight into my new 13" MacBook Pro or iPhone 6 Plus. I will use these mainly at home and when commuting on the train.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #883 of 1,323
  I can't make a decision between the T51P and the DT1350. I listen exclusively to EDM (mainly trance). The only on-ear headphones I have previously owned were a set of the Beats Solo HD 2 that were gifted to me, which I gave away after a week (good bass, that is about all) and a cheap pair of Grado's which got damaged many years ago.

I have owned the Yamaha EPH-100 IEM which I got rid of due to microphonics. I have also owned the Shure 215 LTD and 535 but could not get either to fit well in my ears.I had a pair of BOSE earbuds for running, but lost them about six months ago. At the moment I am just using the Apple supplied ear buds from my iPhone 6 Plus which I find are really comfortable.

I am not an audiophile. I just want a good sound and NO microphonics.

Whatever headphones I buy will be straight into my new 13" MacBook Pro or iPhone 6 Plus. I will use these mainly at home and when commuting on the train.

Any help would be appreciated.

The only thing I can suggest for you is to somehow listen to them both, preferably at the same time. I did that, and ended up getting neither, and wishing that I had at least one or the other lol.

Although I preferred the dt1350's SQ more, the T51P still sound great (and they are very popular), and they are quite a bit more comfortable than the 1350's imo. So if you have to buy them without hearing them, my vote for you is the T51P's.

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #884 of 1,323

The only thing I can suggest for you is to somehow listen to them both, preferably at the same time. I did that, and ended up getting neither, and wishing that I had at least one or the other lol.

Although I preferred the dt1350's SQ more, the T51P still sound great (and they are very popular), and they are quite a bit more comfortable than the 1350's imo. So if you have to buy them without hearing them, my vote for you is the T51P's.

Thank you for the reply.

I will not have the option to try-before-I-buy due to where I live (Western Australia).

Like I said, I am not an audiophile, so if there would be something more suitable, I am open to suggestions. I am also starting to consider the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x as they get a lot of positive reviews, however, I feel they may be a little large for me to wear on the train.

Jun 10, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #885 of 1,323

Thank you for the reply.

I will not have the option to try-before-I-buy due to where I live (Western Australia).

Like I said, I am not an audiophile, so if there would be something more suitable, I am open to suggestions. I am also starting to consider the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x as they get a lot of positive reviews, however, I feel they may be a little large for me to wear on the train.

If you like bass, get the T51, i would suggest the t51i model as it has an inline remote for apple devices. One option you have is to buy from headphones.com.au they are based in wa and offer a 21 day trial so if you don't like the headphones you can send them back and swap them for something else. I've used this option quite a few times when i was undecided between certain models.

An alternative headphone i would suggest is the kef m500, very good build, sound and folds up. If you want to go a bit cheaper the beyerdynamic dtx 501p is quite good sounding plus small and foldable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back