The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
May 8, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #676 of 1,323

Just got them. The amazon seller said that they are the facelift version. It looks like they have the facelift headband and pads (excellent), but the plates on the cups appear to not be of the facelift variety (no biggie):

Anyway, straight out of the box, the SQ of these puppies is incredible - surprised me actually! I really love the signature. The bass and sub-bass is friggin' perfect. Loving the bass, mids, highs, detail, resolution, prat, musicality. Awesome. And they synergize very well with the C3/BH combo. If they benefit from burn-in, then wow.

Comfort-wise, they seem fine in the short time I've had them on. The clamping isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, but I'll have to try wearing them for longer. 

I'm really liking the ruggedness of the cable and jack, and also the single sided design. So far, so very good!
beerchug.gif

Looking forward to your longer term assessment.  Not surprised that your DT1350 is a little different from everyone else's given your special T51p.  :)

By the way, hard to tell from the picture but did your DT1350 come with a right angle plug?  I thought they were straight on the DT1350...

May 8, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #677 of 1,323
  Looking forward to your longer term assessment.  Not surprised that your DT1350 is a little different from everyone else's given your special T51p.  :)

I know - what's up with that lol! 

By the way, hard to tell from the picture but did your DT1350 come with a right angle plug?  I thought they were straight on the DT1350...

It's a straight plug (not shown in the pic - hidden behind the cup).

May 8, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #678 of 1,323
  I have had the DT-1350s for a couple of months and love how they sound. Believe it or not, I jog with them at the club and like the pressure - they do not slip off especially when I widen the head band. At first, I thought the bass was lacking but it depends on the source. For example, I have been listening to the live Rush albums and Lee sounds terrific.

You, my friend, are a bass-head lol! I find that these things have an amazing amount of quality bass and sub-bass :)

They were a bit of a torture test when i first got them but i endured and stretched the band a bit and now they are pretty comfortable. At first i could only use them for 15 mins or so before my ears complained and now i can wear them for a couple of hours with no issue. Their sound sig is very unique IMO which maybe why i love it so much.

Those are comforting words now that I have them on my head - my ears do complain after a while. So I'm looking forward to them becoming a bit more comfortable - the sound coming out of them is commanding me to do so!

On a related note, I found this older post where @impermanente said this:
No I won't sell these pads! A year ago I found my almost ideal portable headphones, the Beyer DT1350, I had two major complains about these otherwise perfect headphones (well at least for me) 1) COMFORT, 2) a light roll off in the high register. Well believe me or not these pads fixed both the problems in one shot, they are incredibly comfortable (relatively to the other pads) and they increase the highs just enough to get that little sparkling that was lacking with the standard pads, everything retaining exactly the same wonderful sonical features of these little headphones. I have to say that they even give less "boxing" sound in the case of piano solo recordings and also the "sonical air" around the instrument is largely improved.
Simply perfect!

Regarding the comfort I streched the headband beyond the breaking point probably :), but still the bass is full and fat and the impact is exactly as before, plus this suede is in my opinion a perfect material for headphones pads, one doesn't sweat at all using it and it is soft and "cool" at the same time. Definitely the isolation is slightly decreased, but still good and it is a price that I am more than happy to pay comparing to the enormous advantages. So now I can wear these little beauties for hours with no problem and no headache! Thanks Beyer great upgrade! Bravo!

He is referring to the "EDT 1350 N" suede pads:
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/catalog/product/view/id/3055/s/edt-1350-n/category/9/

Anyone here tried them?

May 9, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #679 of 1,323

Just got them. The amazon seller said that they are the facelift version. It looks like they have the facelift headband and pads (excellent), but the plates on the cups appear to not be of the facelift variety (no biggie):

Anyway, straight out of the box, the SQ of these puppies is incredible - surprised me actually! I really love the signature. The bass and sub-bass is friggin' perfect. Loving the bass, mids, highs, detail, resolution, prat, musicality. Awesome. And they synergize very well with the C3/BH combo. If they benefit from burn-in, then wow.

Comfort-wise, they seem fine in the short time I've had them on. The clamping isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, but I'll have to try wearing them for longer. 

I'm really liking the ruggedness of the cable and jack, and also the single sided design. So far, so very good!
beerchug.gif

Forgive my ignorance but what amp are you using there?

May 9, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #680 of 1,323
  Forgive my ignorance but what amp are you using there?

That is the amazing C&C BH amp (paired with the Colorfly C3 - amazing combo I find):

http://www.amazon.com/BH2-Portable-Headphone-battery-Version/dp/B00A2QJSBO

Oh yeah, 80 hours per charge :)

May 9, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #681 of 1,323
@waynes world Welcome to the club -- glad you enjoy them :)
Yes, the grip is not that bad given their sonic qualities...

Your cups are actually the older version, interesting hybrid... pads look like the new version (i.e. wider), headband is definitely the new version. I guess your sticker say T51p on these :wink:

I bought the suede pads some time ago, tried them out but found them not to be that more comfortable than standard pads. Your mileage may vary of course... they are a bit softer. The standard pads also get softer with usage, in my case (original set and later on the bigger ones sold as an accessory for the original DT1350) that took about 2 weeks.

And yes: these have amazing bass when called for...

May 9, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #682 of 1,323

Your cups are actually the older version, interesting hybrid... pads look like the new version (i.e. wider), headband is definitely the new version. I guess your sticker say T51p on these :wink:

Interestingly, the facelift version in this dude's video looks exactly like mine, so maybe that one simply one version of the facelift:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO_9qwA1sb0

Also, that video is discussing the effects of the T51P pads on the DT1350's. He likes it quite a bit. I wonder if anyone else has tried it.

Edit: I found you previously discussing them:

That would be the EDT 51p, part # 912603
While they are new and sold as a spare part for the T51p I can't guarantee that its the exact same as stock... The name indicates that it is but the URL does not. But maybe there was an error updating the article...
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/hah/ersatzteile/edt-50p.html

Edit: btw, I've also been discussing this stuff here.

May 11, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #683 of 1,323

Just got mine today. Glad I auditioned the DT1350.

May 12, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #685 of 1,323
T51P's went back. Comfort was great, but silly wrong label on them, and more importantly, the sound was not for me. Still loving the 1350's though! Still evaluating the comfort, but they seem to be getting more comfy after 4 or 5 days.

Here's a really silly question that I probably deserve a beating for asking, but has anyone tried painting the yoke black? I can't help but think that I would prefer them to be black instead of standing out so much.

May 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #686 of 1,323
Here's a really silly question that I probably deserve a beating for asking, but has anyone tried painting the yoke black? I can't help but think that I would prefer them to be black instead of standing out so much.

Not a silly question, but the disassembling, and assembling after painting it... too much work... You might want to consider the matt black plasticwrap paint (not sure if I spelt that correct) that they use for cars. "Stealth Black" seem to be an in-thing...

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/3M-/vehicle-wrapping/vehicle-wraps/matte-car-wraps/

I used another "lazy" method... which is nail polish. They dry well but you will need to have a steady hand. I had a "gloss finish" on my old Senn HD25-1. LOL!

May 12, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #687 of 1,323

Not a silly question, but the disassembling, and assembling after painting it... too much work... You might want to consider the matt black plasticwrap paint (not sure if I spelt that correct) that they use for cars. "Stealth Black" seem to be an in-thing...

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/3M-/vehicle-wrapping/vehicle-wraps/matte-car-wraps/

I used another "lazy" method... which is nail polish. They dry well but you will need to have a steady hand. I had a "gloss finish" on my old Senn HD25-1. LOL!

I was only thinking about the outside of the yolk, and had not even considered disassembling, and assembling. So the "lazy nail polish" idea appeals. I might opt for a more matte black polish if it exists, but I like that idea! Do you think it would be possible to remove later if desired? Is that what nail polish remover is for lol?

The matt black plasticwrap is another very interesting idea, especially in that it could most likely be reversed easily.

Awesome suggestions - thanks!

May 12, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #688 of 1,323

I was only thinking about the outside of the yolk, and had not even considered disassembling, and assembling. So the "lazy nail polish" idea appeals. I might opt for a more matte black polish if it exists, but I like that idea! Do you think it would be possible to remove later if desired? Is that what nail polish remover is for lol?

The matt black plasticwrap is another very interesting idea, especially in that it could most likely be reversed easily.

Awesome suggestions - thanks!

Nail polish would be more permanent. Another solution you can look into, if you are good with your hands, is vinyl stickers and a scalpel knife.

May 12, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #689 of 1,323

Nail polish would be more permanent. Another solution you can look into, if you are good with your hands, is vinyl stickers and a scalpel knife.

Huh - you're full of good ideas! Thanks again :)

Maybe I'll start having so much fun, that once I get through with them they will look like this!:

May 12, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #690 of 1,323

Huh - you're full of good ideas! Thanks again :)

Maybe I'll start having so much fun, that once I get through with them they will look like this!:

That looks like a DT1350 "Sultans of Swing Edition". ^_^ Ha ha ha... very interesting work and a lot of details in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back