The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
May 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #662 of 1,323

Hi plakat! I've had the T51P's for about a week. Incredibly comfortable (especially compared to my Mikros 90's), and they sound rather gorgeous. I am though now intrigued (or re-intrigued) with the DT1350's, and especially how they sound compared to the T51P's. If you have any insights (or links to insights) that might save me some time, then I'm all ears. Thanks!

Hi!
Unfortunately there is a major gap in comfort between the two: while I got used to the DT1350 it does have a lot of clamping force (useful for its primary target audience, DJs and sound engineers). Just looked that up today: the T51p has 2.5N, the DT1350 5.5N.

To my ears the DT1350 is flatter, more neutral, missing the slight midbass hump of the T51p, making it easier to hear subbass (only if the recording has that, it does not emphasize it). I find the T51p to be slightly warm, very pleasant but not laid back in the sense of too slow or muddy. Both don't offer too wide a soundstage (well, on-ear and closed...) but instrument placement seems ok.

I might mention that MacedonianHero prefers the T51p to the DT1350 in his comparison of portable headphones and hears the T51p's bass as clearer (to me its the other way round). You might want to skim over the parts of the thread after the T51p was added, starting at post #2045

May 5, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #663 of 1,323

Hi!
Unfortunately there is a major gap in comfort between the two: while I got used to the DT1350 it does have a lot of clamping force (useful for its primary target audience, DJs and sound engineers). Just looked that up today: the T51p has 2.5N, the DT1350 5.5N.

Thanks for the reply! No matter how good the dt1350's sound, I might not be able to handle that clamping now that I'm used to the t51p's. I love the Mikros 90's SQ, but sadly I can't wear them for extended periods of time, which is why I recently jumped on the t51p bandwagon. They truly are very comfortable - I can wear them pretty much indefinitely - and they still somehow manage great isolation. 

To my ears the DT1350 is flatter, more neutral, missing the slight midbass hump of the T51p, making it easier to hear subbass (only if the recording has that, it does not emphasize it). I find the T51p to be slightly warm, very pleasant but not laid back in the sense of too slow or muddy. Both don't offer too wide a soundstage (well, on-ear and closed...) but instrument placement seems ok.

I might really like the signature of the dt1350's. I'm going to have to find a pair to try I think.

I might mention that MacedonianHero prefers the T51p to the DT1350 in his comparison of portable headphones and hears the T51p's bass as clearer (to me its the other way round). You might want to skim over the parts of the thread after the T51p was added, starting at post #2045

Yes, good 'ol MacedonianHero and his excellent thread is what tipped me off to the t51p's. I will indeed go back there and do some more reading about the dt1350.

Thanks again!

May 6, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #664 of 1,323
No problem, you're welcome.

MH did not like the DT1350 that much, while Tyll loved them:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/awesome-beyerdynamic-dt-1350

In the end you'll have to decide for yourself of course. The clamping is hard to ignore but with the headband being metal I see little chances of breaking it by bending it with care. I think its worth it, versatile, robust and just tiny...

They are still my favorite portable headphone and the oldest item in my collection :wink:

May 6, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #665 of 1,323
Thanks again. Something that you mentioned there was that you felt the t51p's were "softer" sounding than the dt1350's. I get what you mean, especially when compared to the mikros 90's which have great clarity and resolution (have you heard those?). Also, the t51p's have more mid-bass, and sometimes it results in a bit of lack of clarity in the mids (song dependent, and possibly my source is not the most synergistic with the t51p's). Having said that, for the most part they sound gorgeous to me, and combined with the form factor and comfort, I am growing very fond of them.

But, I can't help being intrigued by the dt1350's, although the clamping concerns me. Do you think that $231 shipped (Amazon.ca) is a good price for them? I am assuming that I could return them if required).

May 6, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #666 of 1,323
I have had the DT-1350s for a couple of months and love how they sound. Believe it or not, I jog with them at the club and like the pressure - they do not slip off especially when I widen the head band. At first, I thought the bass was lacking but it depends on the source. For example, I have been listening to the live Rush albums and Lee sounds terrific.

May 6, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #667 of 1,323
Thanks again. Something that you mentioned there was that you felt the t51p's were "softer" sounding than the dt1350's. I get what you mean, especially when compared to the mikros 90's which have great clarity and resolution (have you heard those?). Also, the t51p's have more mid-bass, and sometimes it results in a bit of lack of clarity in the mids (song dependent, and possibly my source is not the most synergistic with the t51p's). Having said that, for the most part they sound gorgeous to me, and combined with the form factor and comfort, I am growing very fond of them.

But, I can't help being intrigued by the dt1350's, although the clamping concerns me. Do you think that $231 shipped (Amazon.ca) is a good price for them? I am assuming that I could return them if required).

Sorry, I've never heard the Mikros so I can't compare.
Yes, I hear a slight midbass elevation too. Makes it a bit more punchy than the DT1350, but what I really love is subbass... and the DT1350 always astounds me with its capabilities in that regard.

Don't be to hesitant regarding comfort, its something very personal. Try them out (for longer, not just in a shop I'd say), work the pads with your fingers, stretch the headband a bit... for the duration I'm using a mobile headphone its OK. And, as @justinto mentioned above, they are well suited for mobile use as they won't come off easily.

Can-$231 sounds like quite a deal, they cost around €270,- over here...

May 6, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #668 of 1,323
  I have had the DT-1350s for a couple of months and love how they sound. Believe it or not, I jog with them at the club and like the pressure - they do not slip off especially when I widen the head band. At first, I thought the bass was lacking but it depends on the source. For example, I have been listening to the live Rush albums and Lee sounds terrific.

Thanks. The first problem for me is that even though the DT1350's SQ might be more my preference, the T51P's don't have an uncomfortable clamp yet do stay firmly on the head, are stupidly comfortable on the ears, and yet still isolate quite well. I can literally wear them for hours without discomfort/irritation. And in spite of what I said above, they do sound great. So as a package for me, they are pretty darned sweet.

The second problem for me is that I am very happy with the Mikros 90's SQ, but the clamping force bugs me after a while. Sometimes I can wear them for a few hours before my ears get sore, but even before that point, the clamping force just gets me feeling irritated. So I fear that if I got the DT1350's and loved their SQ, that I might just be trading Mikros 90 clamping for DT1350 clamping, which wouldn't solve my problem.

I suppose the only way I'll ever know how the DT1350's work for me is if I try them. 

Has anyone explained why they can't make the DT1350's as comfortable as the T51P's??? 
confused.gif

May 6, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #669 of 1,323

Yes, I hear a slight midbass elevation too. Makes it a bit more punchy than the DT1350, but what I really love is subbass... and the DT1350 always astounds me with its capabilities in that regard.

Don't be to hesitant regarding comfort, its something very personal. Try them out (for longer, not just in a shop I'd say), work the pads with your fingers, stretch the headband a bit... for the duration I'm using a mobile headphone its OK. And, as @justinto mentioned above, they are well suited for mobile use as they won't come off easily.

Thanks again. I seem to really love subbass as well. The Mikros do that very well (and the KEF M500's as well - they are also very comfortable, but my problem with them is that they sit on my head too loosely). 

It sounds like amazon.ca accepts returns within 30 days, so I might snag a pair and have them on hand while the t51p's are here so I can compare them directly.

Cheers

May 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #670 of 1,323
  Has anyone explained why they can't make the DT1350's as comfortable as the T51P's??? 
confused.gif

I think its all about the audience the DT1350 is targeting: DJs and (live) sound engineers -- both don't wear the headphone for too long at a time, both need good isolation and both need a headphone that stays in place even when moving around in a hurry.

May 6, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #671 of 1,323

Well, I bit. Should be here by Friday. I just gotta hear those suckers - they may very well be my preferred sig, and I'm praying that they won't be a torture test on my head. Looking forward to it :)

May 7, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #672 of 1,323

Well, I bit. Should be here by Friday. I just gotta hear those suckers - they may very well be my preferred sig, and I'm praying that they won't be a torture test on my head. Looking forward to it :)

They were a bit of a torture test when i first got them but i endured and stretched the band a bit and now they are pretty comfortable. At first i could only use them for 15 mins or so before my ears complained and now i can wear them for a couple of hours with no issue. Their sound sig is very unique IMO which maybe why i love it so much.

May 7, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #673 of 1,323
Thanks chailee80! I'll have to forego stretching them until I'm fully committed, but I will definitely factor in what you said during my evaluation :)

May 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #675 of 1,323
Let us know how it works out for you...

Just got them. The amazon seller said that they are the facelift version. It looks like they have the facelift headband and pads (excellent), but the plates on the cups appear to not be of the facelift variety (no biggie):

Anyway, straight out of the box, the SQ of these puppies is incredible - surprised me actually! I really love the signature. The bass and sub-bass is friggin' perfect. Loving the bass, mids, highs, detail, resolution, prat, musicality. Awesome. And they synergize very well with the C3/BH combo. If they benefit from burn-in, then wow.

Comfort-wise, they seem fine in the short time I've had them on. The clamping isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, but I'll have to try wearing them for longer. 

I'm really liking the ruggedness of the cable and jack, and also the single sided design. So far, so very good!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back