The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
May 18, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #151 of 1,323
Quote:
oh god, wow. I kind of wanted to recable these...but after hearing this.

Moon Audio recabled mine and did a great job of it..Now I have split cable going to both earcups.

May 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #152 of 1,323
Quote:
I see you're using the DACport...how do you like it? I almost picked one up myself.

I find it a killer pairing with the DT 1350, and a really nice DAC/Amp combo.  It punches well above it's price to me, even if it is a bit on the pricy side.  They seem to be a pretty good bargain used though.  I started out with the LX, and then traded up to the regular DacPort - it is more versatile with the volume control.

It does not really pair well with super sensitive iem's (too much gain, too high an output impedance), but set the volume at 1 o'clock, and run a cable into a Pico Slim, and it makes a great DAC.

The only downside, is lately there has been time to plug into an iPod/Pico Slim stack, but dragging out the laptop, external drive, dacport combo just isn't happening much right now.  It just isn't seeing any use - a shame for such a nice piece of kit.

May 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #153 of 1,323
Quote:

I find it a killer pairing with the DT 1350, and a really nice DAC/Amp combo.  It punches well above it's price to me, even if it is a bit on the pricy side.  They seem to be a pretty good bargain used though.  I started out with the LX, and then traded up to the regular DacPort - it is more versatile with the volume control.

It does not really pair well with super sensitive iem's (too much gain, too high an output impedance), but set the volume at 1 o'clock, and run a cable into a Pico Slim, and it makes a great DAC.

The only downside, is lately there has been time to plug into an iPod/Pico Slim stack, but dragging out the laptop, external drive, dacport combo just isn't happening much right now.  It just isn't seeing any use - a shame for such a nice piece of kit.

I know exactly what you mean...my main 2-channel rig is getting pretty much zero play time lately and I recently sold off a few components as a result. That's one of the great things about this hobby, though, is that we can tailor our rigs to our preferences.

Thanks for the feedback on the DACport...I have always found that piece very interesting.

May 23, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #154 of 1,323
Can anyone compare these to the DT880s?  Different realm of course (full-sized v. portable and open v. closed), but I'm mostly inerested in the sound signature.

Thanks!

May 23, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #155 of 1,323
Quote:
Can anyone compare these to the DT880s?  Different realm of course (full-sized v. portable and open v. closed), but I'm mostly inerested in the sound signature.

Thanks!

I wasn't going to comment on this unless someone specifically asked about it, but for some reason I like the 1350s quite a bit more than I did the 880s. In all fairness, I only had the 880s for a few weeks before I returned them in favor of the T1s...but the 1350s sound like a mini-T1 to my ears and less like the 880s. Something on the 880s was a bit recessed that I didn't care for, which is why, at the time, I favored my Grados. The T1s were much closer to what I was looking for and the 1350s sound very similar to me but on a smaller scale. 

May 23, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #156 of 1,323
Quote:

I wasn't going to comment on this unless someone specifically asked about it, but for some reason I like the 1350s quite a bit more than I did the 880s. In all fairness, I only had the 880s for a few weeks before I returned them in favor of the T1s...but the 1350s sound like a mini-T1 to my ears and less like the 880s. Something on the 880s was a bit recessed that I didn't care for, which is why, at the time, I favored my Grados. The T1s were much closer to what I was looking for and the 1350s sound very similar to me but on a smaller scale. 

Hmmmm, so would you say the 1350s are a little sharper sounding?  

May 23, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #157 of 1,323
Quote:

Hmmmm, so would you say the 1350s are a little sharper sounding?  

I'd probably have to think about the adjectives I'd use a little more...I know that I would choose the 1350s over the 880s if given that predicament, but I don't know that many others would make the same choice. I just know I prefer the sonics of the T1 by a significant margin over the 880s, and the 1350s remind me more of the T1s. I would encouraged you to listen to both, though, cause as you said they are very different cans. I love being able to get the T1 signature with just my iPhone or portable amp...both  my e11 and ZO amps drive the 1350s very well. 

May 23, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #158 of 1,323
Quote:

Thanks!

Sound signature tends to lean towards neutral and it's not as bright as the DT880 - somewhere between HD600 and DT880 in terms of brightness. It's much more involving than the DT880.

May 23, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #159 of 1,323
Quote:

I agree with you here too. FWIW, I've owned both the DT880/250 and /600 versions.

May 23, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #160 of 1,323
Quote:
Moon Audio recabled mine and did a great job of it..Now I have split cable going to both earcups.

Yea, I just don't want to pay $600 to have them re-cabled.

May 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #161 of 1,323
Quote:
I agree with you here too. FWIW, I've owned both the DT880/250 and /600 versions.

Okay good, I always like to hear others who experience the same thing since it sort of confirms what I'm hearing on my end, especially when it's someone with as much experience as yourself. I think I was just really surprised that the 1350s were as good as they are...I just wanted something better than the ultrasone 15g portables I had to take to and from work, but I ended up getting one hell of a headphone. I also had no idea that just my iPhone would drive them this well. I prefer them with one of my portable amps, but it's not THAT much of a difference. I can just toss the carrying case for the 1350s inside my laptop bag and I'm good to go. When I want some tunes at work, I just plug them into the phone and I'm good to go...even just my "Tune-In Radio" app sounds fantastic streaming music and/or talk radio in 128kbs. I wasn't sure I'd like the split headband on them, but that does seem to keep them more secure when I separate them about 2" apart. For $265, I'd have to say this was a very satisfying purchase and these will be my go-to portables for a long time. 

Nikp: "Involving" is a very good word...I definitely find them more involving than I did the 880s. 

May 23, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #162 of 1,323
Quote:

Okay good, I always like to hear others who experience the same thing since it sort of confirms what I'm hearing on my end, especially when it's someone with as much experience as yourself. I think I was just really surprised that the 1350s were as good as they are...I just wanted something better than the ultrasone 15g portables I had to take to and from work, but I ended up getting one hell of a headphone. I also had no idea that just my iPhone would drive them this well. I prefer them with one of my portable amps, but it's not THAT much of a difference. I can just toss the carrying case for the 1350s inside my laptop bag and I'm good to go. When I want some tunes at work, I just plug them into the phone and I'm good to go...even just my "Tune-In Radio" app sounds fantastic streaming music and/or talk radio in 128kbs. I wasn't sure I'd like the split headband on them, but that does seem to keep them more secure when I separate them about 2" apart. For $265, I'd have to say this was a very satisfying purchase and these will be my go-to portables for a long time. 

Nikp: "Involving" is a very good word...I definitely find them more involving than I did the 880s. 

Indeed - pretty killer out of an iPhone.  I spent a bunch of time with them that way last weekend.  They are usually out of a dacport, or an iPod touch / Pico Slim combo.  iPhone compares very well.

May 23, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #163 of 1,323
Quote:

Indeed - pretty killer out of an iPhone.  I spent a bunch of time with them that way last weekend.  They are usually out of a dacport, or an iPod touch / Pico Slim combo.  iPhone compares very well.

Absolutely...I'll tell you what I found REALLY odd was that I got more volume out of them with my ZO than I did when I used the ZO with my Grados. I figured the Grados were easier to drive than the 1350s, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I typically used my ZO with only IEMs since I wasn't getting enough volume from them, but it seems to drive the 1350s just fine. These must be a very efficient 90 ohms (or whatever they are) cause I can drive them with anything I have here and they sound great. 

I don't recall seeing a lot of buzz about these headphones though and that's a shame....I know Tyll from Inner Fidelity seemed to really love them and a few others who are more visible reviewers and posters, but given how good these are I would have expected more of a buzz. 

Sounds kind of silly but I love the carrying case with these cans, too lol...keeps them nice and safe and I have plenty of room to keep both my portable amps and some adapters/cables. 

May 24, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #164 of 1,323
Quote:
 I would encouraged you to listen to both, though, cause as you said they are very different cans.

Yeah, that's pretty difficult here in Nashville. 

I actually own the 880s, though, which is why I was wondering.  It helps to give me some frame of reference.  I also own the Shure 940s, which I use at work.  It sounds like the 1350s are a little darker than both of these.  Not that I mean to call them "dark" headphones by any stretch, but both the 880s and 940s are known for brightness, which is something I enjoy.

May 24, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #165 of 1,323
Quote:

Yeah, that's pretty difficult here in Nashville. 

I actually own the 880s, though, which is why I was wondering.  It helps to give me some frame of reference.  I also own the Shure 940s, which I use at work.  It sounds like the 1350s are a little darker than both of these.  Not that I mean to call them "dark" headphones by any stretch, but both the 880s and 940s are known for brightness, which is something I enjoy.

Yep, I enjoy a brighter top end, as well. One thing you could do is order the 1350s from Amazon (be sure it's "fulfilled by Amazon") and give them an audition since you already have the 880s. If you don't end up preferring them you have up to 30 days to send them back. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back