The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Dec 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #3,646 of 4,308
Quote:
This is a crazy patent from Beyer! I need to bring a jewelry lamp with magnifier, I even cant see the tinny wire. 

I'm thinking of soldering some extension to this wire, but I'm a bit afraid to burn up the wire.

The 48S driver still have same wire to deal with...

The tiny wire is supposed to be attached to the fixed part and not removed in the first place, the plate is unscrewed to solder with the cable before screwing it back so as to avoid any over heat on the voice coil so it is a good design, unless ...... you didnt realise this.

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #3,647 of 4,308
Quote:

The tiny wire is supposed to be attached to the fixed part and not removed in the first place, the plate is unscrewed to solder with the cable before screwing it back so as to avoid any over heat on the voice coil so it is a good design, unless ...... you didnt realise this.

The driver is indeed almost perfect design, except the tinny wire conection. A good design is should be clear to you (the simple the best), and without to be attached to moving parts that have screwed and can be unscrewed... but what is done is done, there no point blaming Beyer for this wire design...I was just wondering if the new Beyer drivers keeps the same wire patent/ construction.

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #3,648 of 4,308
Quote:

The driver is indeed almost perfect design, except the tinny wire conection. A good design is should be clear to you (the simple the best), and without to be attached to moving parts that have screwed and can be unscrewed... but what is done is done, there no point blaming Beyer for this wire design...I was just wondering if the new Beyer drivers keeps the same wire patent/ construction.

What i meant was that the tiny wire is fixed and should not be removed, theyt design the removable plate to detach so you wouldnt damage the tiny wired voice coil by overheating while soldering.  I bet a driver replacement is in order. I have never sucessfully soldered a voice coil mainly due to its fraglility, but alas it is possible with a quick swipe of the wand (solder iron) Good Luck and Happy Holidays.

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #3,649 of 4,308
Quote:
What i meant was that the tiny wire is fixed and should not be removed, theyt design the removable plate to detach so you wouldnt damage the tiny wired voice coil by overheating while soldering.  I bet a driver replacement is in order. I have never sucessfully soldered a voice coil mainly due to its fraglility, but alas it is possible with a quick swipe of the wand (solder iron) Good Luck and Happy Holidays.

Yeah, I hope nobody should need to deal with this wire ever! BTW, I still don't have a full assessment of the wire damage on all of 4 drivers...how much will be to order a new driver?

According to the 48E manual, looks like the model number @ 25 ohm will be the, 51-11-00. I wander if the S series have a different part number.

Happy Holidays to you too!
happy_face1.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #3,650 of 4,308
Quote:
Yeah, I hope nobody should need to deal with this wire ever! BTW, I still don't have a full assessment of the wire damage on all of 4 drivers...how much will be to order a new driver?

According to the 48E manual, looks like the model number @ 25 ohm will be the, 51-11-00. I wander if the S series have a different part number.

Happy Holidays to you too!
happy_face1.gif

I dont see a different part number but you could enquire via the Beyer Help line, if they dont have you just need matching paired drivers, the problem i faced with soldering fine wires is that they dont stick well after soldered due to different melt points and considering i didnt want to overheat the coil, but silver solder would be the best choice. I think the price of the driver was mentioned in this thread previously, To overcome all the hassles, buy another on ebay, send the damaged ones to a qualified person for repairs. Check out the DT250 250ohm appreciation thread too, seems like another Fanboy Kool Donunus Ice is brewing some interest there.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #3,651 of 4,308
Quote:
Hope you did manage to connect the voice coil back, in all headphones, extra caution should be taken for that fine wire, in the case of the DT48, they were designed for ease of re-cabling just by removing those screwed down plates, solder the new cables and secure back them plates. Removing the magnet will not affect the centering of the voice coil as they are glued down to the to the stiff metal surrounds.

That's not entirely true, as the pole pieces and the magnet are not fixed, only put in place by magnetic force. These three pieces may be put out of place, so take care.

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #3,652 of 4,308
DT-48E-200 ohms at home . Again . I still haven't recabled my DT-48 Kudelski 
frown.gif
, not enough time to go to  the recable Shop ...

I don't know why i returned them the first time , yes they are heavy and clamp quite hard but doing some break every hours ,and it's OK , with time it will be better . 

Now i just have to recable the Kudelski and get another K702 and i am done with headphones 
tongue.gif
. (and peraphs another Auditor + V800) .

AD2000/K702 as Open headphones , 2  DT-48 as closed and DT-770 Pro LE as portable 
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #3,654 of 4,308
The DT48S-5, the white S-version will be tested and measured by Anaxilus and Purrin. My DT48 was out of use anyway so we'll see what turns out...

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #3,657 of 4,308
Hello Heads Filled 
smily_headphones1.gif

I just bought an "old" DT48 mono and would like to convert stereo. How to do ?

Thank you to you all, with love from France. ...(you can see my oldie below.)

DT48_zpsb9f64b5a.png

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #3,658 of 4,308
Sir you would just need to install a stereo plug.
Hello Heads Filled :)

I just bought an "old" DT48 mono and would like to convert stereo. How to do ?

Thank you to you all, with love from France. ...(you can see my oldie below.)

[url=http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x476/Monsieur-Hulot/DT48_zpsb9f64b5a.png%5B/IMG]http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x476/Monsieur-Hulot/DT48_zpsb9f64b5a.png[/IMG[/url]]
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back