The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Jan 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #3,421 of 4,308
yeah I guess I wasn't thinking straight...  
rolleyes.gif

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #3,423 of 4,308
To be frank, I don't intend to read the whole 200 pages, so I apologise if my questions had been covered earlier.

From what I have gathered so far. For music listening I have to go for the DT48E, and they require an output impedance of 120 ohms.

1. Since they require the use of inline 120 ohms resistor for most modern desktop headphone amp, which would attenuate quite a bit of volume, does it mean that the 200 ohms model would be hard to get enough volume on a typical desktop headphone amp?

2. I will be using it on headphone amp with around 8x gain. With my K501, it doesn't get very loud. My typical listening volume is at may be 60-70%, with very soft tracks I can maxed out the volume and not end up deaf. Does it mean that the 200 ohms model is out for me? (please don't confuse loudness and power here and tell me to get a more powerful amp
tongue.gif
)

3. Should I be considering models other than DT48E?

4. Are there any sonic difference between the 25 and 200 ohms models?

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #3,424 of 4,308

Quote:
To be frank, I don't intend to read the whole 200 pages, so I apologise if my questions had been covered earlier.

From what I have gathered so far. For music listening I have to go for the DT48E, and they require an output impedance of 120 ohms.

1. Since they require the use of inline 120 ohms resistor for most modern desktop headphone amp, which would attenuate quite a bit of volume, does it mean that the 200 ohms model would be hard to get enough volume on a typical desktop headphone amp?

2. I will be using it on headphone amp with around 8x gain. With my K501, it doesn't get very loud. My typical listening volume is at may be 60-70%, with very soft tracks I can maxed out the volume and not end up deaf. Does it mean that the 200 ohms model is out for me? (please don't confuse loudness and power here and tell me to get a more powerful amp
tongue.gif
)

3. Should I be considering models other than DT48E?

4. Are there any sonic difference between the 25 and 200 ohms models?

You should just go for the DT48 A and get new E type replacement ear pads, don't need the 120 Ω adapter yet, it just spreads the range for volume control. Forget all other models just the Audiometric version DT48A it's the safest bet. I have A /S /E so i pretty know what i'm talking about.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #3,425 of 4,308
I guess, the different models have identical housings but different transducers? And I could just pop off the A pad and put in the E pad?

From what you have described, it seems that thee A model has more treble and bass? But how is the midrange? Specifically in terms of tonality and detail. It kinda worries me as I hate piercing trebles from DT880/DT990.

And for the A model, the frequency balance won't change with the 120 ohms resistor?

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #3,426 of 4,308

Quote:
I guess, the different models have identical housings but different transducers? And I could just pop off the A pad and put in the E pad?

From what you have described, it seems that thee A model has more treble and bass? But how is the midrange? Specifically in terms of tonality and detail. It kinda worries me as I hate piercing trebles from DT880/DT990.

And for the A model, the frequency balance won't change with the 120 ohms resistor?

Overall the DT48A with the E pads are the better ones for all genres, yes thats how i would describe changing the pads.

It seems it has more extensions, midrange is superb as usual, not so upfront but just nice, treble isn't like the 990, the frequency balance changes the 25 Ω just a tad bit.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #3,427 of 4,308
Don't know that I'll ever get to hear the 'A', but I just picked up a little gamma 1 DAC and all I can say is, OMG, the dt48E is even better out of the gamma1 than it was out of the 0404! I always read reports of these phones needing proper amping,, but don't forget the DAC!! 
happy_face1.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #3,428 of 4,308

Quote:
Don't know that I'll ever get to hear the 'A', but I just picked up a little gamma 1 DAC and all I can say is, OMG, the dt48E is even better out of the gamma1 than it was out of the 0404! I always read reports of these phones needing proper amping,, but don't forget the DAC!! 
happy_face1.gif

Lejaz, it seems that you're going through the DT48 journey the hard way, just like how i did that, lol. Well my statement on the DT48A stands very firm, hint hint.
wink_face.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #3,429 of 4,308
Haha....yes indeed, especially with the fit. The fit of the ear pads is far more crucial than even the DAC or amp. Once I got a good seal, I had some good listening sessions even out of the Sansa Clip. I'm the type of listener who can get lost in the music and forget I'm even wearing phones. But a good set up can definitely help bring out their potential. 
happy_face1.gif
 BTW, do those 'A's come with the cable end terminated or not? I shouldn't even be asking that, lol.

Quote:
Lejaz, it seems that you're going through the DT48 journey the hard way, just like how i did that, lol. Well my statement on the DT48A stands very firm, hint hint.
wink_face.gif

ear

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #3,431 of 4,308

Quote:
Haha....yes indeed, especially with the fit. The fit of the ear pads is far more crucial than even the DAC or amp. Once I got a good seal, I had some good listening sessions even out of the Sansa Clip. I'm the type of listener who can get lost in the music and forget I'm even wearing phones. But a good set up can definitely help bring out their potential. 
happy_face1.gif
 BTW, do those 'A's come with the cable end terminated or not? I shouldn't even be asking that, lol.

ear

Well, If you ordered brand new, they wouldn't come terminated.  The A's are still in production, so I would recommend that over the E. So far the best sound i'm getting is a toslink optical out from my MBP to my MD10 (hope to upgrade this, i'm aiming for the Centrance Dacmini) to my Meier Arietta. Very clean sound, it works for my other headphones too. The Vintage Sansui amp is great too. For tube amp, it's subjective as different tubes have distinct differences, so I'd rather recommend SS amps.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #3,432 of 4,308

Quote:
Well, If you ordered brand new, they wouldn't come terminated.  The A's are still in production, so I would recommend that over the E. So far the best sound i'm getting is a toslink optical out from my MBP to my MD10 (hope to upgrade this, i'm aiming for the Centrance Dacmini) to my Meier Arietta. Very clean sound, it works for my other headphones too. The Vintage Sansui amp is great too. For tube amp, it's subjective as different tubes have distinct differences, so I'd rather recommend SS amps.

I'm probably better off not knowing how good the 'A' sounds. In this case, 'ignorance is bliss'. I'm really quite happy with the 'E', and it's a lot better for my wallet to just enjoy the music and not focus on minor shortcomings of the gear. Only if a used set comes up on ebay with a 1/4" plug, then perhaps I'll take the plunge.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #3,433 of 4,308

Quote:
I'm probably better off not knowing how good the 'A' sounds. In this case, 'ignorance is bliss'. I'm really quite happy with the 'E', and it's a lot better for my wallet to just enjoy the music and not focus on minor shortcomings of the gear. Only if a used set comes up on ebay with a 1/4" plug, then perhaps I'll take the plunge.

Yeah you're probably right, lol. I'm a poisoner. If only you could hear the A, it's so so .....perfect.
L3000.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #3,434 of 4,308
I'm quite happy how my DT48S @25 Ohm (probably not the old Nagra edition) sounds out of my small DAC, so yes, unless I have too much money to spend, I won't bother buying other versions to compare as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back