The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Sep 25, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #3,271 of 4,303

svyr I can't find a "T5p thread", just some random reviews with very little excitement to follow, and I think you might be part of the reason for that
tongue_smile.gif

@Kernmac - Well he may be just a loon, but it is a little bit entertaining/interesting to see someone call the T1 a failed prototype.

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #3,272 of 4,303
Currently comparing my DT48A to the recently arrived Sennheiser HD250 II (discontinued now, a true collector item for some)... To my ears, they both have outstanding synergy in my system curiously. The HD250 II are showing some serious attributes here to the point that I do not miss my DT48A (that was certainly not the case with either HD800 or T1)...

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #3,273 of 4,303
Do you find the HD250 II easy to drive? I found it to be light on power requirements yet it still needed a bit of amplification.

On sound I think the Linear is one of the most dynamic sounding headphones I tried. It is impressive...

P.S. Regarding the DT48E-25 I prefer a bit of gain combined with a volume correction. The low end is accurate enough but not satisfying enought for my tastes. If for instance my DT48E had the low end of the HD250 II then the basic DT48E would really have been a killer headphone. I prefer my K240 DF if I want to get an idea of how a piece of music sounds as a whole. The K500 and Monitor 10 also very suitable in that regard. Even so, Psy Trance sounds fast, tight and detailed through the basic DT48 I have. If you enjoy that and the quality of the recordings is good then the basic DT48 is already quite impressive. 

Track used: "Push" from Liquid Soul, I have music on the original album. 

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #3,275 of 4,303
I was surprised at how sensitive the Sennheiser HD250 II is... Despite its impedance rated at 300 ohms, it is relatively easy to move even from an ipod (80% volume) 
eek.gif
... Now, that does not mean it will sound good straight out of an ipod, in fact, I found it seriously thin sounding out of my Ipod Touch. But the Senn HD250II do scale amazingly well. More than big watts, the HD250II seem to love clean watt.

Regarding dynamic specifically, it does very well indeed, though I would still give the edge to the DT48 (allow to listen at higher volume, where the Senn HD250II will show its limits). It seem to me best for listening at low to moderately loud volume, but not at realistic volume.

Quote:
Do you find the HD250 II easy to drive? I found it to be light on power requirements yet it still needed a bit of amplification.

On sound I think the Linear is one of the most dynamic sounding headphones I tried. It is impressive...

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #3,276 of 4,303

Quote:

ugh... I feel like auditioning the T1 and and DT48, and then trading my T5p for either one... what is wrong with me... chasing rainbows...

Hey wanna trade your T5p for my DT48? 
wink.gif

And I haven't seen anything about the HD250II in a while. It's still on my list of things to get.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #3,278 of 4,303

Quote:
Lol your avatar. :)

Komodors are awesome.

As an attempt to get back on topic, there's a wonderfully cheap (so far) DT48A on an auction site, but shipping kills it for me. Anyone want it?

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #3,279 of 4,303
One of those forgotten headphone, that live up to the status of legend for some...  They are quickly growing on me. The more I listen, the more they surprise me, as a "no fault" headphone. They handle everyting well. There are certain areas were the DT48 remains unchallenged (dynamic, presence, spatial cues, etc..), but at the price of some pitfalls (confort, low bass, soundstage size)... The HD250 brilliant overall performance (at least in my system) and lack of real weak point makes it for me an even better bargain than the DT48. I am trully impressed.

Quote:
And I haven't seen anything about the HD250II in a while. It's still on my list of things to get.

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #3,281 of 4,303
Any information on the measuring set up? I tend to use an amplifier with my vintage DT48E-25 nowadays with extra gain so the low end becomes more present. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #3,282 of 4,303
Looks like you have a very bad seal
tongue.gif

I love using the DT48A right after a good shave, no kidding !

Oct 14, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #3,283 of 4,303
Finally I've got some new earpads for my DT48S because the old one started tearing.

Bass quantity improved a little bit as well as soundstage. Comfort is incredible in comparision to before. Almost reminds me of the DT150. The only downside is that I have to turn the volume up a little more, because the drivers are further away now.

Maybe I'll get some neutral IEMs later :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back