The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Aug 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #3,256 of 4,303
graphCompare.php

hmm, interesting, must've thought about K271's roll off then. 7db for 701 is still 2ce as quiet for 20hz than the slight bump on the 100hz (was that 1/2 the volume?). I don't understand how that's useful. Unless it's supposed to mask mids less, but in the end you have to remember to compensate for not having 6-7db of bass so your mix doesn't end up being 2x loud...

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #3,257 of 4,303

Quote:
graphCompare.php

hmm, interesting, must've thought about K271's roll off then. 7db for 701 is still 2ce as quiet for 20hz than the slight bump on the 100hz (was that 1/2 the volume?). I don't understand how that's useful. Unless it's supposed to mask mids less, but in the end you have to remember to compensate for not having 6-7db of bass so your mix doesn't end up being 2x loud...

The compensation is almost an automation process by the tonal coloration of the audiophile systems, or just poor components system that create the same tonal coloration effect.

The 20Hz is mostly air, and I'll never recommend to boost this area. In a studio mix process you should be more concern with 30-to-80Hz where the sub and the low bass impact is.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #3,258 of 4,303
With its low impedance at 5 ohms, the DT48A is closer to the nominal load of a loudspeaker, but with 110dB/mw, it is also very sensitive, putting it in similar catgeory as high efficient horn speakers....

Thinking of this analogy, does anybody know if a nice little SET amp like the Yamamoto A08 would be adequate to drive the DT48A from the speaker output
eek.gif

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #3,260 of 4,303

After reading on the subject the last couple of days, I believe the 110dB/mw of the DT48A will proove to be too sensitive, when flea powered SET amp work best with speakers above 95dB but less than 105dB, where hiss/hum can then be perceived at the listening position (so actually even more obvious with the speakers in your ears) , no matter how well designed the product is.

But the RWA 30.2 seem to get fantastic reviews and is often compared sound wise to those SET amps, like on the picture below...Now this amp should be totally noiseless and drive the 110dB of the DT48A with ease... It is even said to pair heavenly with the K1000. Now that would be something I'd really like to try out by myself.

Quote:
Interesting...

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #3,265 of 4,303
Bass is overrated, especially the exaggerated kind.

Not really, detailed balanced HP with non-rolled off bass do exist. At least as IEMs (UM Aero, Mage, SM3v2). Even for classical with the DT48e and 8 ohm 1983 DT48 type bass, I felt you were sacrificing everything below 100hz for mids and etched highs (particularly with a portable source that has a bass roll-off for low impedance cans)... Personally I don't find that sacrifice worth it, making DT48/e a novelty item for me. But you know, these sort of comments in this thread aren't really fruitful and are frowned upon :D ...

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #3,266 of 4,303
I agree though. The low end matters and thankfully the DT48S is an audible improvement over the DT48E I have. 

I love a good midrange but without low end information you do miss a lot. The DT48E-25 I have sounds more convincing with acoustic bass (notes) and percussion though.

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #3,268 of 4,303

Huh? 218 pages... intense thread. :)

Found an interesting review on T1 versus T5p today, just throught I'd share it somewhere and I can't find any T5p threads on this site apart from dead review threads?

So here you are, interesting comments in bold lol.

"I went to Stereo today to test out the flagship of their portables - the T5p which cost $1499 SGD.

Back ground story -

I have with me a Beyer T1/HD650 and then a modded GMP240 modded with ASI sugar cubes.
I've been listening to the T1 for a long time and I just can't get into the sound. It felt weird to me that the details are stuck to the back of the cans and the bass explodes in the middle.
The soundstage is off and the voicing just don't strike me as transparent.
My equipment so far at home is the Tiny tube dac/amp RCA from Audiogd NFB2 with my own usb cable.

So fast forward to my impression -
I basically sat there at stereo for 1 hour comparing between the cans.
T5p striked me to be a very fine sounding portable headphones, bass is tight highs were abit harsh - not burnt in yet
Mids were pretty good and this is a very unique sounding headphone that holds a league of it's own compared to the HD800/LCD2/HE6 when I tried in Indonesia.
It has the characteristic of the DT880's musicality and the voicing is much much better than the T1.
Strangely T1 doesn't really sound accurate
in terms of timbre, separation and sound staging.
T5p is still new so i guess it needs more time for the drivers to open up after a couple hundred hours. But overall the cans are very nice.
It excels in almost all kinds of genre that doesn't have bass extension that hits low bass frequency - the kind that you want your head to rumble.
Yet for the clarity and crispiness of the highs and mids, classical music and opera soundstaging seems to be spot on.
Actually I'm amazed with the fact that it is only 32ohms and it was a portable can because it sound so much better than a T1.
Overall specs are specs, if you have a chance to listen to the T5p and mulling over the T1.. my recommendation would be go for the T5p
Upon hearing that the T5p was the 2nd product with the Tesla technology, it only leaves me to think that the T1 was a prototype that they can't voice properly."

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #3,269 of 4,303

Quote:

Found an interesting review on T1 versus T5p today, just throught I'd share it somewhere and I can't find any T5p threads on this site apart from dead review threads?

I failed to see the interesting parts.  Simply one persons view and in my opinion I can't relate at all to that view regarding the T1.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #3,270 of 4,303

Found an interesting review on T1 versus T5p today,

you sure this wasn't supposed to go to the T5p thread or T1 thread?

Personally, I disliked both DT48e, T5p and T1 for different reasons lol :D ... Judging by the reviews for T70p/T70, I won't be giving those a go :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back