The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Jun 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #3,181 of 4,303
Wow, sorry to hear that.... I have no idea what could cause this. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #3,182 of 4,303
What do you mean by 'measure'? I'm pretty sure they were damaged when I purchased them....and from one of our forum members yet. If you look at my posts from the start I was always complaining about the lack of bass with them. The other frequencies don't seem to be affected other than slightly less volume. What a bummer!!!! And what an idiot I am for never having compared the sides independently before.
angry_face.gif

make sure the cups are both tightly fastened (the snake eye screw). If one is lose, you can potentially lose seal and some more bass. That said it'd probably affect not just the bass

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #3,183 of 4,303
If the wiring and seal are correct could it be a driver problem?

Just so you know, some people on Head-Fi do not take great care of their headphones. I once bought a nice headphone but the previous owner had been abusing them, it was noticeable.  

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #3,184 of 4,303
What I'm wondering is....could a wiring problem cause such a drop in lows? I sure hope it's not a driver or I'm out $135 or so that I paid plus shipping. They look like they were knocked around quite a bit over the years. That's why I got them so cheap....plus the re wiring looks sloppy. What I'll do is switch the pads around, but I doubt very much that will help.

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #3,185 of 4,303
Been messing around with the pads and the seal, and I think that the seal is at the root of my problem with the bass. The inner part of the pads was flatter on the weak side, so I opened it up and put some more foam under the fabric. I also played around with the positioning a lot and I can finally get some bass from the right side. I still seem to get more lower bass on the left, but the mid bass is close to equal. I'm almost certain it's not a problem with the driver, since all the other frequencies are fine. Dang....it seems the seal is really crucial with these! It's got to be perfect to get the best out of them.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #3,187 of 4,303

Quote:
It took me weeks to find the proper adjustments for perfect seal, annoying...

Did you notice lots of changes in the bass response along the way, as you changed adjustments? According to my electrician friend who's been repairing audio equipment for ages, to get the proper bass response you can't have a break in the seal. The thing that I never realized before is that the inner pad has to make good contact with the ear, as well as the outer pad making contact with your head. Right now the left side still has better low bass than the right. The left side is pretty good now....seems close to the 240DF....maybe equal... haven't done a careful comparison with level matching.

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #3,188 of 4,303
The low range and sometimes the highs played hide and seek. My head is not that big so I had to adjust the headband to its smallest size and find the right position on my head for the headband. After that I checked the seal and pressed the ear cups on my ears to let loose again and I checked again if I could hear outside noises. When the seal is good you will hear close to nothing of your surroundings.

Even so, I do not like the ear cup and ear padding design for the DT48E. The AKG K240 or even the Sennheiser HD-monitor headphone series solutions are miraculous. If you have ever had a HD265/280 or K240 variant on your head you know what I mean. Even the Monitor 10 seems to function better than the DT48E solution.

I will stop now because it annoys me as to why Beyerdynamic chose the solutions it has chosen for the DT48E. "...!" 

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #3,189 of 4,303
The k240 is a semi open phone, so a tight seal isn't necessary in order to hear good bass. the ear cups are plastic instead of metal, so much lighter in weight. I don't know the physics of it, but the open and semi-open phones don't depend on a perfect seal like the dt48 does. Positioning them correctly is a big issue for me too. I need to do more adjustments as well as figure out how to get the old inner pad off and the new one on.
Hopefully I'll eventually get the bass equal on both sides unless it's a problem with the right driver having more bass roll off than the left.
Quote:
The low range and sometimes the highs played hide and seek. My head is not that big so I had to adjust the headband to its smallest size and find the right position on my head for the headband. After that I checked the seal and pressed the ear cups on my ears to let loose again and I checked again if I could hear outside noises. When the seal is good you will hear close to nothing of your surroundings.

Even so, I do not like the ear cup and ear padding design for the DT48E. The AKG K240 or even the Sennheiser HD-monitor headphone series solutions are miraculous. If you have ever had a HD265/280 or K240 variant on your head you know what I mean. Even the Monitor 10 seems to function better than the DT48E solution.

I will stop now because it annoys me as to why Beyerdynamic chose the solutions it has chosen for the DT48E. "...!" 

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #3,190 of 4,303
I am having the same issue with the right side bass. I know I need new pads. I bought them knowing this issue existed. After looking at them closely I see that the inner pad has come loose from around the hole for the driver. Can new inner pads be installed or am I stuck with this?

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #3,191 of 4,303

When you order the new pads you get both the inner as well as the outer, AFAIK. Yes they can be replaced too.
Quote:
I am having the same issue with the right side bass. I know I need new pads. I bought them knowing this issue existed. After looking at them closely I see that the inner pad has come loose from around the hole for the driver. Can new inner pads be installed or am I stuck with this?

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #3,192 of 4,303
So, I've been rolling pads because the rubber pads on my pair are shot. The fake ESW10 pads I have provide a surprising amount of bass impact, as much as my Sextett, with some colored mids and that's with a much less than optimal seal. XB500 pads were murder to the sound. Prodipe pads recessed the mids too much. K271 pads were much too large, and DT220 pads didn't work at all. I really should stop being cheap and buy replacement pads from Beyer.

Jun 24, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #3,194 of 4,303

Quote:
Is Trew Audio Store still the cheapest reliable distributor of replacement DT48E "cushions" in the US?

Thanks

Pads from Beyer direct are $21.23 plus $10 flat rate shipping. I don't know how much shipping from Trew Audio is.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #3,195 of 4,303
I have a DT1350 on order.... Comparison with the DT48 should be interesting to say the less
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back