The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
May 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #3,122 of 4,308
Soaa-,

How to listen
1. Use headphones as a scalpel and dissect the music.
2. Inspect each individual piece for clean edges and consistency.
3. Put everything back together and see if the pieces fit.

I love the instruction, try it with Trash Metal and a DT48E
smily_headphones1.gif

My regards,

Deep Funk

May 2, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #3,123 of 4,308
My DT 48 is the sharpest audio scalpel I've ever heard, easily.

May 3, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #3,124 of 4,308
Did you notice in the measurments made by Tyll that the response below 80Hz with the 120 ohms output seem a couple of dB higher than with the 2 ohms output impedance... If 6dB makes for doubling the SPL, then 2 or 3 dB should be 30%-40% increase in perceived SPL at those frequencies. That would be quite noticeable. Actually, it matches pretty well my experience.

Additionnally, I believe the square waves responses both at 30Hz and 300Hz look cleaner with the 120 ohms output impedance. Not sure really what it means though.

May 3, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #3,125 of 4,308
Another thought about the DT48 and their polarizing sound...

If I am correct, the DT48 look like a free field eq headphone, following this theorical frequency response model (bootom/right):

On the other hand, many current headphones seem to be eq to reproduce a diffuse field, following this accepted theorical frequency response model (more or less, I guess each manufacturer has its own secret potion):

Well, one very important difference between both models is that the standard deviation is much higher in the case of the Free Field EQ than with Diffuse Field EQ, meaning that individual HRTF (shape of ears, pinnas, etc....) play a very important role in the perception of sound for a FF EQ headphones, just like the DT48, especially in the higher frequencies... Maybe a hint to explain why some perceive it bright in teh treble, while other consider it recessed. Just saying...

May 3, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #3,126 of 4,308
Finally, Beyer did confirm me that they use a standard ear coupler for the raw measurments of the DT48A (see below), meaning that the seal is probably perfect especially with the rubber pads. That could explain the flat frequency response measured below 50Hz, but do not translate well to the real listening experience.

May 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #3,128 of 4,308
Correct amplitude-frequency characteristic of dt48e (modern version 2009+) on the dummy head here:

your bass roll-off starts at 400 hz and the area around 1000 hz is for some reason dipped, are you sure you have a proper seal? Is the graph adjusted or raw?
(also, 1w rms seems like a lot, or am I reading that right and this is for the 200ohm version?)

May 3, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #3,129 of 4,308

Quote:
your bass roll-off starts at 400 hz and the area around 1000 hz is for some reason dipped, are you sure you have a proper seal? Is the graph adjusted or raw?
(also, 1w rms seems like a lot, or am I reading that right and this is for the 200ohm version?)

This is raw graph of dt48e 200ohm, they have more bass roll-off than 25ohm version on standart amps.(and 1B here = 1V rms)
Graph of modern 25ohm version here (not at all correct conditions, but demonstrative bass roll-off):

So, on the basis of these graphs I highly recommend use proper equalization with parametric EQ soft. 

May 3, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #3,130 of 4,308
Interesting, today I used my DT48E-25 in the train with my Clip + and E5 on bass boost. that bass boost did add to the sound quality and yes the seal was finally good. It took some adjusting and testing but I got the seal right. I just have a smaller head...

May 3, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #3,131 of 4,308

Quote:
Hi guys! If you want to listen all musical styles on DT48, I recommend use equalization:

this make dt48 absolutely universal headphones with great deep bass (+17db=)) and mellow hights and allow listen metal, hip-hop etc.
Actually only for modern dt48e 25ohm! Sorry my english ^^

How do you not get distortion from 17db of boost? I had to set my computer volume to 2% to not get distortion using this curve. This EQ made the sound extremely muddy and unlistenable with any genre.  

May 4, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #3,132 of 4,308
Regarding EQ, I understand it when done to fine tune and match the headphone frequency response to the user HRTF, meaning mostly above 5khz... Other than that, If you don't like the frequency response of the DT48, then just buy another headphone.
rolleyes.gif

May 4, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #3,133 of 4,308
It seems like the DT48 has now a smaller brother...

DT48 raw measurments in grey from Tyll new web site (don't look at the odd artifact around 60/100 Hz):

And the new Beyer DT1350:

A very similar theorical EQ model is used, I am guessing close to the Free Field EQ. So they should have a few things in common, AND a better low bass response... The Tesla technology seem able to play loud with very low distorsion and great imaging ability, that it something I was really impressed with in the T1. Very interesting. Could it be THE one.

May 4, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #3,134 of 4,308
It seems like the DT48 has now a smaller brother...

DT48 raw measurments in grey from Tyll new web site (don't look at the odd artifact around 60/100 Hz):

And the new Beyer DT1350:

A very similar theorical EQ model is used, I am guessing close to the Free Field EQ. So they should have a few things in common, AND a better low bass response... The Tesla technology seem able to play loud with very low distorsion and great imaging ability, that it something I was really impressed with in the T1. Very interesting. Could it be THE one.

I'd say, the highs and upper mids look similar, but that's about it.

May 4, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #3,135 of 4,308
Interesting but I still believe - I indeed believe cables make a difference - the right recable can make a difference. A Mogami W2534 made such a profound impact on a stock HD428 that I want to try that on a stock DT48E-25. 

Even so, couple the right amplifier to the DT48E-25 with stock cable and you could be closer to audio heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back