The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Apr 25, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #3,106 of 4,308
I would be happy to read other comments on that too... Though I was not suggesting ear damaging levels but rather something like 100dB or slightly above which should ba already plenty loud...

Here is a downloadable link to a specific track that will shake those aluminum suspensions
biggrin.gif

Helicopter

Enjoy
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I think shamu is correct about the DT48 needing some serious high SPL burn in to stretch those aluminum drivers out. I tortured my DT48 with Bass Mekanik songs at headache inducing volume levels last night. I turned my amp up just enough to not cause the amp to distort (about 75%).

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #3,108 of 4,308

Quote:
Did you ever end up fixing the bass extension problem?

No.  The right channel still has the imbalance blow about 80hz.  I'm going to get new ear pads in the next week or so and see if that helps.  I took apart the driver as detailed in an earlier post and could find nothing that looked wrong.  It is not that noticeable with most of what I listen to.  Re-cabling did seem to bring out more detail and clean things up a bit but did not help with the bass.

Apr 28, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #3,111 of 4,308

Quote:
Not sure.  I bought them used from Aflac on here.  They look to be well used.  Only the right driver cover has any markings and the are well worn.  It is a 25ohm pair.  When I get the new ear pads I plan to give them a thorough cleaning.  

I'm not sure either; I know they're not the new version and not the very old version but that's it. The most I can gather is that they had the "Beyerdynamic" logo, but in the style/font of the old "Beyer" logo and not the new one with the "Beyerdynamic))))". It's hard to get a good chronology of what versions were made so the best guess I can make is ~1980s?

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #3,112 of 4,308
The logo does lead to it being an older pair but I have not been able to pin down a year for these.  '80's would be my guess too.

I decided to use my DT880's to listen tonight after several days of listening to the DT48's.  As much as I loved the way the 880's sounded before the 48's now they almost sound lifeless when listening.  I thought something was wrong with them at first but it just seems there is that big of a difference between the two.  Now I have to get the new ear pads so they are more comfortable for longer listening times. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #3,113 of 4,308
lol :D Looks like it's both recessed (3-7k) and bumped highs (10k,16?k) at once. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/historic-beyerdynamic-dt-48-e-25-ohm

http://innerfidelity.com/images/DT48E.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK701.pdf

It's interesting that aluweer http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/418746/the-beyerdynamic-dt48-arrives/3090#post_7426083 managed to EQ out the 3-7k dip and EQ down the 10k peak.

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #3,114 of 4,308
Interesting links! Seems there's a much bigger difference between the E and A versions than I initially thought. I wonder how my 8Ohm pair stacks up against those two in raw numbers? I have to admit that I don't hear much under 50Hz, but I don't hear the all the peaks and dips described in the article...

Beyer draws a flat line from 20Hz up until the upper mids for the DT 48 A, so does that mean they have more sub-bass than other variants?

May 1, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #3,115 of 4,308
I don't think that the difference between the A and E versions are that big, especially with the same earpads. The A version beeing basically superior in imaging and instrument separation, as well as having noticeably more treble energy.

Tyll believes the DT48A measurments from Beyer were made with a standard ear coupler, and do not account for the lack of seal, which might explain the low frequency roll off we perceive.

As for the peaks and dips metionned, you rightly can't hear them. In my opinion, the DT48 were designed to reproduce a free field eq (with maybe some angle). I hope to be able to confirm that at some point. Tyll raw measurments of the DT48 (expect for the very very odd 60/80 Hz behaviour) show a very similar pattern to the HRTF expected for a free field design goal as shown below:

And the free field design goal HRTF (bottom right for the open ear canal):

Trying to EQ those peaks and dips is just nonsense to me and would nill what the DT48 were intended for.

Quote:
Interesting links! Seems there's a much bigger difference between the E and A versions than I initially thought. I wonder how my 8Ohm pair stacks up against those two in raw numbers? I have to admit that I don't hear much under 50Hz, but I don't hear the all the peaks and dips described in the article...

Beyer draws a flat line from 20Hz up until the upper mids for the DT 48 A, so does that mean they have more sub-bass than other variants?

May 1, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #3,116 of 4,308
I've never EQed my DT 48 for serious listening. :p

I've read Tyll's comments on the matter, and I can't say I agree with his answer. There's just too big a discrepancy between his graphs and Beyer's, especially below 1kHz. What I'd love to see is a set of DT 48 A measured with the E pads and with the A pads, so we know where the difference lies. Things to think about:

Does the DT 48 A exhibit the same strange response below 1kHz as the DT 48 E with the E pads?
Does the DT 48 A really measure as flat as on Beyer's charts using the rubber pads?
Would the DE 48 E benefit from using DT 48 A rubber pads?

May 1, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #3,119 of 4,308
Thanks for the offer! I'd be interested, but I'm not too familiar with the logistics of that. Do I only pay to ship it to you, or do I pay both trips?

May 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #3,120 of 4,308
I'll pay return shipments. Take me just a couple of days with them. PM me if you wanna do it. U.S. only though please. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back