The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Apr 23, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #3,092 of 4,308

That is your opinion and it is fine to disagree. You might be the first person on this thread though to feel the DT48E highs are more pronounced than K701
wink.gif

I really don't know what is your source for this graph, and I am quite confident this is not some Beyer original measurements, but some "home made" measurements that are not very helpfull without understanding their context. Raw datas, HRTF adjusted, etc...

The only "official" FR chart available is that of the DT48A sent individually with each headphone at high SPL (110dB). Here follows the FR chart of my DT48A's bought last year. You will notice it is nothing alike the chart you are showing. Of course, you need to account for your individual HRTF to translate it to your own perception of FR.

Quote:
I don't think you're right
biggrin.gif
... I was given a chart by the seller, allegedly provided by beyer for the DT48e. showing the highs going through the roof, I'd amply describe it as 'up, up and away'
biggrin.gif
and it really does sound like it. I don't know if that's properly sealed and DF compensated, but presumably beyer should know to at least seal properly (the bass suggests proper seal is there)?

This is why I have always said the DT48 really shines at high SPL, because it's FR integrates better and seem better balanced when listening at realistic volume. If you listen at low volume, you will probably have the feeling of "mid centric" headphone, when it is not.

Quote:
may it's just me, but the dt48e graph above looks contrary to the ELC curves..
Fletcher-Munson.gif

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #3,093 of 4,308
That is your opinion and it is fine to disagree. You might be the first person on this thread though to feel the DT48E highs are more pronounced than K701
wink.gif

I really don't know what is your source for this graph, and I am quite confident this is not some Beyer original measurements, but some "home made" measurements that are not very helpfull without understanding their context. Raw datas, HRTF adjusted, etc...

The only "official" FR chart available is that of the DT48A sent individually with each headphone at high SPL (110dB). Here follows the FR chart of my DT48A's bought last year. You will notice it is nothing alike the chart you are showing. Of course, you need to account for your individual HRTF to translate it to your own perception of FR.

This is why I have always said the DT48 really shines at high SPL, because it's FR integrates better and seem better balanced when listening at realistic volume. If you listen at low volume, you will probably have the feeling of "mid centric" headphone, when it is not.

I'm not the only one with the new DT48e who think it's bright as hell http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/7628/user_id/125162
as for the graph I posted, I'm just saying what I was told re: source=beyer you're more than welcome to contact the seller and ask . But you're quite correct to question its origins and type/how it was measured, etc. Still, as I said, in the album comment, it's by far the brightest HP I've owned.

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #3,094 of 4,308
A CD900 ST sounds brighter to me and Sony knows a thing or two about brightness.

My DT48E, not exactly bright like the CD900 but an emphasized presentation non the less. The K701, sorry but I just cannot understand why AKG made it sound the way it does. These are subtle and subjective differences mind you and regarding the K701: just my opinion after some auditioning. Headphones...  

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #3,095 of 4,308
Apr 24, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #3,096 of 4,308
That is an exceptional review.  I bought mine after reading the review that started this thread.  I can honestly say that I do not regret this purchase one bit.  I did have a bit of trouble with them at first (my own fault).  I just re-cabled them tonight and am happier than ever (pics in diy section).  As much as I like my DT880's, these are now going to be my go to phones for a while.  The only thing I wish for more of is bass extension, but after a few minutes my ears adjust to it.  I can only hope that the HE-6 I am planning to buy later in the year has this much detail.

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #3,097 of 4,308
Thank you C12mech ! In fact, I enjoyed very much writting that review to share my DT48 love with others. They are other very interesting reviews published though, and I am happy to see increasing and informed references to the DT48 so they can finally get the attention they deserve IMO.

On the other hand, and coming back to the previous discussion with Svyr, I suspect you were talking highs above 15khz which is not what I was refering to. I am not trained to specifically pinpoint frequency ranges, but my guess is that the 4khz to 10khz range in the DT48E has much less energy than K701 or HD800.

In any case, it is my understanding (maybe I shouldn't anticipate it though) that a very knowledgeable and respected name in the headphone business will publish soon some insightfull measurments of the modern DT48E version... Stay tuned.

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #3,098 of 4,308
Thank you C12mech ! In fact, I enjoyed very much writting that review to share my DT48 love with others. They are other very interesting reviews published though, and I am happy to see increasing and informed references to the DT48 so they can finally get the attention they deserve IMO.

On the other hand, and coming back to the previous discussion with Svyr, I suspect you were talking highs above 15khz which is not what I was refering to. I am not trained to specifically pinpoint frequency ranges, but my guess is that the 4khz to 10khz range in the DT48E has much less energy than K701 or HD800.

In any case, it is my understanding (maybe I shouldn't anticipate it though) that a very knowledgeable and respected name in the headphone business will publish soon some insightfull measurments of the modern DT48E version... Stay tuned.

nop, I think it's 5k-end for DT48E> K702, but the higher we go, the larger the gap gets. Still, I suppose I haven't heard K702 for a while, so I'm interested to see the comparable measurements as well. Let's see what Tyll says...

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #3,099 of 4,308
Hi guys! If you want to listen all musical styles on DT48, I recommend use equalization:

this make dt48 absolutely universal headphones with great deep bass (+17db=)) and mellow hights and allow listen metal, hip-hop etc.
Actually only for modern dt48e 25ohm! Sorry my english ^^

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #3,100 of 4,308
svyr: your perception of the modern DT48e relative to the k70X is exactly the opposite of my own of the late 1980's dt48. There's no mistaking the rolled off highs of my version. KBI, who used to be the forum 'expert' on the dt48 told me that the modern version has somewhat better highs than the older version, but I never imagined that they could exceed the k702! He also felt that the older version was lacking in that regard....was too rolled off for his taste. Hopefully someone who owns both phones will do a head to head comparison.  I only have the older dt48 to compare with the 702 and the relative lack of highs is obvious. Any other owners of the newer version want to chime in on this? I'm very curious how the highs compare to other phones as well, like the dt880

Quote:
Quote:

nop, I think it's 5k-end for DT48E> K702, but the higher we go, the larger the gap gets. Still, I suppose I haven't heard K702 for a while, so I'm interested to see the comparable measurements as well. Let's see what Tyll says...

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #3,101 of 4,308
I just heard the Q702 at Best Buy with a high end Mcintosh CDPer.. Very impressed.. I never knew what highs could accomplish. Not really piercing, but you know they are there.. A tad sharp & artificial. A bit cold & analtyical, but the sense musicality is there.. Mid range & the space seemed a bit hollow.. But in general, I liked them... Still prefer my Ortho's, but the 702 are better in some sense, & more 'hi end' probably.

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #3,102 of 4,308
What is the price for a Q702? How good a headphone amplifier would you possibly need?

The fact I use my DT48E-25 straight from the DAP (European Clip +) without loss of sound quality makes the little Beyer a miracle. Add an amplifier to the set up and you are away. 

I shy away from the K70x-series since I dislike the 701 even properly amplified. 

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #3,103 of 4,308
I think shamu is correct about the DT48 needing some serious high SPL burn in to stretch those aluminum drivers out. I tortured my DT48 with Bass Mekanik songs at headache inducing volume levels last night. I turned my amp up just enough to not cause the amp to distort (about 75%). I sealed the earcups to a cardboard box to give the driver the correct amount of throw, and to cut down the outside noise level.   

Im not sure if it is placebo but they seem to have improved all around. The low end seems a little more hefty (but still is no bass monster obviously). The soundstage and imaging seems to have improved as well. Check out this thread:  

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/509642/extremely-abusive-burn-in-poorly-matched-dt150-drivers-bludgeoned-into-submission

Before anyone says Im crazy for pushing the SPL so high, let me say that high SPL does not blow a driver necessarily. A blown speaker is caused by the amplifier distorting/clipping, which sends massive heat to the voicecoil. Its all about providing clean watts and having headroom.

For example, If you hook up a massive 2 ohm subwoofer to a small clock radio and push it to the point of distortion (in attempt for more volume), it will blow the sub, even though it wasnt actually loud. 

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #3,104 of 4,308
Higher SPL combined with good amplification should be even better for listening. I noticed that with my 25 ohms.

Loud burn in settings, interesting since I usually do that for standard burn in. 

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #3,105 of 4,308

Quote:
That is an exceptional review.  I bought mine after reading the review that started this thread.  I can honestly say that I do not regret this purchase one bit.  I did have a bit of trouble with them at first (my own fault).  I just re-cabled them tonight and am happier than ever (pics in diy section).  As much as I like my DT880's, these are now going to be my go to phones for a while.  The only thing I wish for more of is bass extension, but after a few minutes my ears adjust to it.  I can only hope that the HE-6 I am planning to buy later in the year has this much detail.

Did you ever end up fixing the bass extension problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back