The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Aug 26, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #2,281 of 4,303

Quote:
Well, i tried the dt48s with my little dot I+ (tube rolled with sylvania gold tubes), but there was no synergy whatsoever. I tried different albums, all well-recorded, all albums I know well, but the overall sound was the same. the dt48s sounded muffled, clarity was gone, it was as if i was listening to an old am radio. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but this is not a happy combination. they are just not made for each other I guess, which is a pity. Luckily i still have my solo with which the dt48s perform wonderfully. Would love to hear them a tube amp, but it will have to be another one.

Surprising. What you describe, sounds like what I get when I plug them into portable devices, i.e. underamped. But you would think that even a basic desktop hybrid like the I+ would do a better job. Pity. A while ago I was contemplating to buy a I+ for them, now I'm glad I didn't.

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #2,282 of 4,303

Quote:
Surprising. What you describe, sounds like what I get when I plug them into portable devices, i.e. underamped. But you would think that even a basic desktop hybrid like the I+ would do a better job. Pity. A while ago I was contemplating to buy a I+ for them, now I'm glad I didn't.

well, to be honest, they sound better straight from my sanza fuze then from the I+.

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #2,283 of 4,303
Man, it seems these are as picky about amps as the k70X's are! I wonder what reasonably priced amp would do them justice...maybe the schiit asgard ....the 'solo' is way over my budget.

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #2,286 of 4,303
Well the needs of low impedance headphones are very different from high impedance ones. It's not surprising that most amps can't cope with the DT 48, as they've been designed with high impedance loads in mind.

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #2,287 of 4,303
You also might want to look at a receiever Lejaz, like the Yamaha 663.. A used one for under 300.00.. I know the 1800 matches very well with my DT48 models.. & you can add bass upto 6DB.. I was listening to some old hill billy country.. Red neck music... If any DT48 could be considered lean it would be the DT48a.. Of course the music itself is far from bass heavy.. I never heard this CD with my DT48 & was amazed.. No way should a mid range be so revealing for 449.00.. & I was using my oppo83 as a transport & the receievers amp, & was still floored..

REB, if you really want a serious DT48 upgradeT48A, they are superior to the vintage DT48e/modern DT48e in every way technically.. Mid range detail probably falls in the over the 1,000 category, if not more.. Shamu can attest to this..

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #2,288 of 4,303
As someone who had 18 months recent experience with DT48 phones I find this thread with the extended eulogy of these quite awful phones the most depressing I've ever encountered on this site.
The phones are BRUTALLY rolled off at the frequency extremes - any potential purchaser should be warned that:
1. You will have NO realistic bass.
2. You will have NO realistic treble resulting in a total stripping out of valuable overtones, negating any correct instrumental timbre.
3. These phones muddle any complex material presented to them into a horrible sonic sludge.
4. You will hear no credible stereo image.
5. Detail is way below that of any decent modern phone.
I urge anybody thinking of purchasing these old dinosaur devices to have an extended listen before parting with their hard earned cash.

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #2,289 of 4,303

I mated my K701's to my lil dot III+ and have never looked back.  outstanding combination.  Have to say the K701's sound great on the Concerto also.
Quote:
Man, it seems these are as picky about amps as the k70X's are! I wonder what reasonably priced amp would do them justice...maybe the schiit asgard ....the 'solo' is way over my budget.

Aug 26, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #2,290 of 4,303
let me guess you actually listened to them out of your Ipod for about 2 minutes while sitting on the crapper?  all the while wishing you had your Dr. Dre's on your head??
Quote:
As someone who had 18 months recent experience with DT48 phones I find this thread with the extended eulogy of these quite awful phones the most depressing I've ever encountered on this site.
The phones are BRUTALLY rolled off at the frequency extremes - any potential purchaser should be warned that:
1. You will have NO realistic bass.
2. You will have NO realistic treble resulting in a total stripping out of valuable overtones, negating any correct instrumental timbre.
3. These phones muddle any complex material presented to them into a horrible sonic sludge.
4. You will hear no credible stereo image.
5. Detail is way below that of any decent modern phone.
I urge anybody thinking of purchasing these old dinosaur devices to have an extended listen before parting with their hard earned cash.

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #2,291 of 4,303
To reasure Spartan I listened to these phones through a variety of extremely well respected amplifiers (solid state and thermionic) and with a variety of top quality front end systems,including SACD etc.
The better the source and the longer I listened (forced myself to listen for many hours) the more the GROSS limitations of the DT 48 became evident.
Sorry but Dr Dres or Ipods will have no place in my listening experiences.
Perhaps if I had listened to them on the crapper they might well have gone down it.
I once again urge anybody who wishes to engage in any SERIOUS listening to avoid the DT48 like the plague.     

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #2,292 of 4,303
Somebody hates.
rolleyes.gif

Again, the fact that the DT 48 usually has a very low impedance makes it tricky to drive with most amps, especially those geared towards high impedance loads. The typical consequence of an amp that can't cope with low impedance? Bass roll off. It doesn't matter if the amp is highly regarded or not. So, in reply to your points:

• Bass extends flat down to 20Hz. Our ears do not. If material is not mixed with realistic levels, e.g. most material produced today, bass will sound weak and undefined.
  • Treble isn't the DT 48's strongest point, but it's not bad. In fact, I find it better than the K 240 DF in the treble department.
  • Odd that you find that they muddle anything complex. I find them extremely resolving and coherent with anything I throw at them. They're closed headphones that don't attempt to widen the sound stage, so the perceived sound stage is small, but very well defined.
  • The stereo image is that of a pair of headphones. Read the above.
  • Detail is sharp and accurate, and most importantly, realistic. The DT 48 doesn't sound colored in any way -- they are effortlessly transparent and faithful to the recording.

So, doctor, are my ears broken?

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #2,294 of 4,303

Quote:
To reasure Spartan I listened to these phones through a variety of extremely well respected amplifiers (solid state and thermionic) and with a variety of top quality front end systems,including SACD etc.
The better the source and the longer I listened (forced myself to listen for many hours) the more the GROSS limitations of the DT 48 became evident.
Perhaps if I had listened to them on the crapper they might well have gone down it.
I once again urge anybody who wishes to engage in any SERIOUS listening to avoid the DT48 like the plague.     

I for one would like to hear more.  Anything you could do comparisons with?

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #2,295 of 4,303
Sorry, I totally disagree.  SERIOUS listeners should by all means give them a try.  They are one of the most accurate cans I have ever heard.  I am proud to own the 25 and 200 Ohm versions.  As someone who taught and played concert Villon, plays Guitar, drums and harmonica and learning the piano  I am no stranger to what "actual" sound should be like.  Are the DT48's perfect? hell no. None of these cans are, but they are the most neutral / natural sounding cans with the exception of the SA5K's I have had the pleasure of owning or listening to. 
these are cans for people who do not want their music colored or pushed in directions they do not desire. 

I really dislike when people come flying into this forum telling other users what they should and shouldn't buy or try.  State what you like or dislike from YOUR experience but kindly refrain from telling people NOT to buy or TRY these or any other cans.  That is just rude and childish....  We all hear and enjoy differently.

Quote:
To reassure Spartan I listened to these phones through a variety of extremely well respected amplifiers (solid state and thermionic) and with a variety of top quality front end systems,including SACD etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back