The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Apr 12, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #1,786 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to kool bubba ice for all his help and guidance, as well as everyone else in this thread and others who have offered such great descriptions and advice.
atsmile.gif

They are due here on Friday, so I'll be doing a lot of comparing with my old AKG's and Senn's, and just plain listening and listening...

So many speak of 'break-in'... would that hold true for these?

shane

Hopefully you'll become a member of the family..
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #1,787 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hard to say.. 7 of the ones I have are at least 5-55 yrs old..

Lucky.
Pre broken-in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #1,788 of 4,308
I am really enjoying my headphones, the one flaw in my eyes is the condensation that builds up over half an hour. Does anyone know how to stop it, or tried a dehumidifying spray, maybe? I love the steel construction however. I have the new DT48e.

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #1,789 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by duke11235 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really enjoying my headphones, the one flaw in my eyes is the condensation that builds up over half an hour. Does anyone know how to stop it, or tried a dehumidifying spray, maybe? I love the steel construction however. I have the new DT48e.

This only happens to me after a few hrs of usage.. A little annoying, but nothing to bad.

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #1,790 of 4,308
Translation result for http://blog.xuite.net/piacarrot2/blog/18095622

There's more DT48 info on the website scroll to the right.. There's two more DT48 links.

TONS of PICS & INFO I NEVER HEARD BEFORE.

In this historical one day, common people first testimony Baier Beyerdynamic the DT48 earphone's birth, this was also a new world record! Baier and gives him this brand-new invention's earphone good friend Paine, Paine said that this only DT48 earphone is Panna Sonic (Paine's sound wave), in addition, what is been more surprised, the DT48 earphone's response frequency has achieved 16Hz unexpectedly to the 20kHz arrogant person specification. On the last century the 30s's engineering factor, this target makes one imagine with difficulty simply. The DT48 earphone at that time was called Berlin (Berlin) the sign, as a result of its astonishing frequency response and the analysis, German arm force's Intelligence service and the gestapo even uses it to reconnoiter the sound which other earphones are unable to distinguish radically, gained the massive valuable information.

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #1,791 of 4,308
Wow, have you seen this flat frequency response for the DT48A... I thought it was way more rolled off in the bass ?

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #1,793 of 4,308
Thanks KBI for the link, full of material, so interesting... Got some more reading to do now...

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #1,794 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, have you seen this flat frequency response for the DT48A... I thought it was way more rolled off in the bass ?

Every DT48a comes with their own Frequency chart, like the Senn HD800, they are hand crafted. The Frequency graph that came with my DT48a is a bit different. I think the site also shows the Frequency response for the DT48S too..

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #1,795 of 4,308
Quote:

Now that is one nice authentic leather box :

2.jpg

I have a similar DT48 box, not as nice but looks similar. It's on the website. My case is the first one.. The one above your pic..

I read on Audio Asylum where a guy claims that Beyer still makes 600 ohm DT48's! I need to email this guy.

I love this guy! He even quoted some parts of my DT48 F.A.Q blog..lol Who would have thunk.. An Asian version of me who is a DT48 nut!

More from his site.. K1000 comparisons.

The DT48 series is and AKG K1000/GRADO the GS1000 identical scale,
The Sennheiser hd600/650 scale cannot compare with 48 scales,
Hd600/650 is and AKG K701/the new DT990/880 identical scale.
Must contrast these many earphones is the chronologically sequenced historical records, I type slowly, does not want to hit such the chronologically sequenced historical records.
Only said 48A contrasts K1000 the performance, was good.
48A contrasts K1000: And is eternally grateful in the high frequency expandability is spatially K1000 is quite good, but is inferior to 48A in high frequency bright Ze and the thin moderation
Sounds of people aspect: The K1000 transparency is very good is also very exquisite, but does not have the 48A density high and crystal clear insightful and the faithful sounds of people
Low frequency aspect: K1000 is inferior to 48A in the low frequency sense of reality feeling of quantity dynamics, is only K1000 low frequency receives quite quickly
Sound field aspect: The K1000 volume 絕 contrasts on 48A big several times, but the scene feeling and the musical instrument degree of dissociation were inferior to 48A
Analysis strength aspect: 48A compared to K1000 abnormal many
Summary: 48A and the K1000 acoustic fidelity can only fight to a draw, because of each has its strong points, is KK is quite good in the broadcast symphony and the light music performance
But the stringed instruments, the sounds of people sketch, the fever day small dish, POP, ROCK is quite good on the 48A performance, should 48A be quite good by the integrity aspect.
(supplementary information: The integrity considered that the actuation difficulty/convenience degree/different music type suitability and so on results in)

Looks like he feels the DT48A is on the same level as the AKG/Grado flagship models (before the PS1000. I have no idea when this was written)

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #1,796 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like he feels the DT48A is on the same level as the AKG/Grado flagship models (before the PS1000. I have no idea when this was written)

I feel the sudden need to give the DT48A a chance, now that I am rather familiar and happy with the DT48E (that's an euphemism)
biggrin.gif

Looking at the frequency graph response, it doesn't look too bad. Additionnally, I like the idea of precisely hand matched drivers with tighter tolerances.

KBI, I have a couple of questions regarding the DT48A that maybe you have already answered but can't remember where:

- Is it possible to fit the DT48E pads on the DT48A ? Otherwise, I understand the DT48A are very unconfortable.

- The DT48A is 5 ohms only, with higher sensitivity than the E version (110dB/mw vs 105dB/mw). It seems extremely easy to drive (volume wise). But if you listen the DT48E at 10h00 on the volume knob, where would be the volume knob be with the DT48A to reach the same volume. My concern is that the DT48A can only be used in the first 5% or 10% of the volume knob (not ideal, and difficult to adjust precisely volume).

Thanks
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #1,797 of 4,308
wao, am I the only one here who was surprised by its cable? That's one big thick cable! Looks much superior to the flimsy one of my K702!
Quote:

You're gonna murder my wallet, again...
frown.gif

and btw, for anyone who's interested, the dt48 completely beats my K702 in terms of details, resolution, separation... I hate to say that since the AKG has always been my favorite but maybe it's because my M3 is still not a good enough amp~

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #1,798 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by tranhieu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wao, am I the only one here who was surprised by its cable? That's one big thick cable! Looks much superior to the flimsy one of my K702!

You're gonna murder my wallet, again...
frown.gif

and btw, for anyone who's interested, the dt48 completely beats my K702 in terms of details, resolution, separation... I hate to say that since the AKG has always been my favorite but maybe it's because my M3 is still not a good enough amp~

I'd amp the 702's better, I'm sure they will increase in those areas.. Is the M3 desktop or portable?

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #1,799 of 4,308
Quote:

I feel the sudden need to give the DT48A a chance, now that I am rather familiar and happy with the DT48E (that's an euphemism)
biggrin.gif

Looking at the frequency graph response, it doesn't look too bad. Additionnally, I like the idea of precisely hand matched drivers with tighter tolerances.

KBI, I have a couple of questions regarding the DT48A that maybe you have already answered but can't remember where:

- Is it possible to fit the DT48E pads on the DT48A ? Otherwise, I understand the DT48A are very unconfortable.

- The DT48A is 5 ohms only, with higher sensitivity than the E version (110dB/mw vs 105dB/mw). It seems extremely easy to drive (volume wise). But if you listen the DT48E at 10h00 on the volume knob, where would be the volume knob be with the DT48A to reach the same volume. My concern is that the DT48A can only be used in the first 5% or 10% of the volume knob (not ideal, and difficult to adjust precisely volume).

Thanks
tongue.gif

Yes, it's possible to use e pads on the a models, I just don't know how. The e pads uses a sticky substance, that allows it to stick to the driver..With the A version you need to place the rubber padding inside of a slit type horizontal pouch. The rubber is uncomfortable for a few weeks..But your ears will adjust to it, if you can take the discomfort... Now, I find my A's to be very comfortable..

The A's can take more juice.. Using my receiver, I usually have the setting at -19db for the E's & -16db for the A's.. Using my amp which stepp att would give a much better indication, but the maker told me not to use a headphone with a ohm under 25ohm.

The first time I heard the DT48a, the first headphone to pop in my mind was the the K1000.. Which had me scratching my head.. I still enjoyed the K1000 more, the natural extended highs, No sense of harshness.. Would love to A/B them..

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #1,800 of 4,308
Thank KBI for your explanations. Count me in
tongue.gif

They do not seem to be easy to source btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back