The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Apr 23, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #1,816 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossinator
Actually I think I have seen such a picture. On the wiki, that I assume kool buba started, there is a picture of a modded A model, with what appears to be modded E model earpads on it.

I presume you refer to this pic:

DT48_5Ohm.jpg

Unfortunatley, those are not stock E pads.

I have also seen this picture from the link KBI published a few days ago, and it still doesn't look like E pads, which makes me think there must be something incompatible.

12.jpg

Once you remove the rubber pads, if the housing aluminium surface around the hole of the driver is completely flat from the center to the periphery, then it should be possible to stick the E pads without major troubles. I just can't figure out why noone tried before
frown.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #1,817 of 4,308
I bought both my DT48's from B&H

Quote:

Originally Posted by tranhieu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant find anywhere on the internet that sells the dt48s, seems like they're history now
frown.gif

and by parts, you mean the dt48e or the dt48a? since most of the sites I've come across only have parts for the dt48e in stock.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #1,818 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a bit confused with so many versions. My understanding was that since the beginning only the A version was designed to meet the specific tolerances of NAGRA equipment for recording/monitoring, as you can see on the A technical brochure.

I thought the S version was just the HiFi version (public), with the mono version introduced in 1951, and the stereo version introduced in 1957. Then later in the 70's arrived the DT48 blank / 8ohms version, and finally the E versions, as a sustitution of the old S and blank version.

Where is the NAGRA DT48S version coming from ? Thanks,

Yes, I am well aware of this risk
very_evil_smiley.gif
But still worth the try I feel. I completely love the DT48E, and I guess the DT48A can not be THAT different, but definitely more raw sounding.

As for the 4070, I am not ready yet to go back to electrostats
biggrin.gif
But one day....

The Original DT48S was the only headphone that met NAGRAs specifications.. So NAGRA endorsed them.. & they were called the NAGRA DT48S. Remember, the A model is audio metric, if they came before the NAGRA DT48S it wasn't sold to the public.. As the DT48A according to Beyer is a precise instrument. There are differences in DT48S sound, Kevin brought up a good point , about different magnets or other materials being used, more cost effective.. Or, it's very possible the original DT48S was tailor made for NAGRA since they are so different then the DT48S I bought from you.. Then again, the E models are also said to fit NAGRAs standards.. So we are going in a circle. With a life cycle of 73 yrs, it's hard to pin these down.. A member from Audio Asylum claims they still make the DT48 in 600 ohm.. & I read about a 200 ohm DT48S. Truthfully, the only people who really know are probably dead by now. I'm getting a new pair of E pads with my DT48e 200 ohm Franken.. If you do buy the DT48a, they are yours if the original pads on my DT48e are still in good condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am just speculating at this point, but do you think the bass roll off and smaller soundstage compared to the E version could be a downside of the supra-aural fit of the A rubber pads ? Since the design (housing) and positionning of the drivers are identical between the A and E versions, what other reason could justify those differences?

A few pages back, a study showed clearly how the bass response of the DT48E was influenced by sound leakage due to a bad sealing. I guess the supra-aural rubber pads do not offer the same seal quality as the E pads, hence could explain the differences perceived.

I am very curious to hear your thoughts on that KBI, since you own both versions. I am holding the trigger until I can clarify this point. Alternatively, I really would like to confirm that E pads can be fit on the A versions. I haven't actually seen any DT48A with E pads around...

Is it possible to completely remove this "slit type horizontal pouch" ? Then you could fit/stick the E pads on the aluminium housing with the driver hole in the center, like the E version.

Thanks

I'm sure it's possible. Beyer must have a good reasoning behind using a supra fit with rubber pads. Being Audio metric, I would assume the rubber padding has some benefits to it.. Work related. Erik says you can use the E pads on the DT48A. I tried & couldn't get them to stay.. Two different mechanisms. I know for certain you will get better bass impact.. I wrapped my rubber pads around my ears tightly & the improvement in bass was very noticeable, when I released the hold, it was like the bass deflated. I'm sure you could mod it to wear they will fit with the E pads..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossinator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I think I have seen such a picture. On the wiki, that I assume kool buba started, there is a picture of a modded A model, with what appears to be modded E model earpads on it.

And it looks like they are both identical except for the earpads and FR.

And I still think that the rubber earpads effects the FR a lot. I tried the A model with some modded HD280 earpads and the highs were a lot more noticeable. There also seem to be a spike somewhere in the FR that hurt my ears.

Can't take credit for that. Someone else started it.. I did contribute with the pics.. I made copies & sent them to another headfier over seas to post..(Thank you, by the way) I have no doubt the rubber effects the FR, this was intended for a certain reason, definatly not for music. Damn. I sound like the Indiana Jones of the headphone world.. Trying to piece together the time line of the first headphone ever created. Maybe we should look towards Egypt.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #1,819 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by spartan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought both my DT48's from B&H

Actually, Spartan, he is looking for the out of production original NAGRA DT48 Silver. The holy grail of the DT48 family IMO.. Still have yet to try 'daddy' (the orignal 1937 model) yet. Maybe the Germans got them..
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #1,820 of 4,308
DT48A pads are rubber because since they are audiometric, they are used by many people and need to be cleaned easily.

I'm REALLY regretting telling you sell those $90 DT48a's to Xanthos... I've spent the past 11 months looking for another. I even more regret missing the 2 pair DT48S lot for $50 2 years ago.

Apr 23, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #1,821 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT48A pads are rubber because since they are audiometric, they are used by many people and need to be cleaned easily.

I'm REALLY regretting telling you sell those $90 DT48a's to Xanthos... I've spent the past 11 months looking for another. I even more regret missing the 2 pair DT48S lot for $50 2 years ago.

He told he didn't care for the treble & was going to sell them. Maybe he can sell them to you.. You must have been gone a while.. I bought a DT48A a few months ago on headfi & one on ebay.

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #1,822 of 4,308
For the life of me.... I can not find older DT48's. looked like crazy but either they just are not out there. Or I am looking in the wrong places. I would really like to hear an older pair against my newer ones.

The other night I sat down and listened to the 25 Ohm cans to Norah Jones on an Audio GD Compass amp... well it was just awesome. So If these new cans sound so good... what will the older cans sound like? I really want to know.

I have a Meier Concerto amp coming in just for the two DT48's and SA5k I own. Wish the damn thing would get here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, Spartan, he is looking for the out of production original NAGRA DT48 Silver. The holy grail of the DT48 family IMO.. Still have yet to try 'daddy' (the orignal 1937 model) yet. Maybe the Germans got them..
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #1,823 of 4,308
Quote:

I have a Meier Concerto amp coming in just for the two DT48's and SA5k I own. Wish the damn thing would get here!

Meier Concerto? that'd be an overkiller!
But I already have a plan on building another better amp, maybe a b22 after the exams are over. Man, all the talks over here just make me more and more excited! judging on how interesting the dt48e is already, I will welcome the dt48s (if I can get one) with a party
biggrin.gif

Quote:

The holy grail of the DT48 family IMO.. Still have yet to try 'daddy' (the orignal 1937 model) yet. Maybe the Germans got them

So you mean that the 1973 model was the predecessor of the Nagra model?

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #1,824 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He told he didn't care for the treble & was going to sell them. Maybe he can sell them to you.. You must have been gone a while.. I bought a DT48A a few months ago on headfi & one on ebay.

I thought he sold them. For a nice profit too if you didn't raise the selling price to him...

Well i meant for around $100. There was a DT48A auction that ended on my birthday last year for $70, but I forgot about it until it ended.

Oh, and spartan123, we live in the same zip code! Almost.

And yes, the 1937 was the first pair of stereo headphones commercially (or just in general) produced. The silvers came in the '50's. I think?

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #1,825 of 4,308
Same zip code??? AWESOME contact me to hook up on of these days!

Quote:

I thought he sold them. For a nice profit too if you didn't raise the selling price to him...

Well i meant for around $100. There was a DT48A auction that ended on my birthday last year for $70, but I forgot about it until it ended.

And yes, the 1937 was the first pair of stereo headphones commercially (or just in general) produced. The silvers came in the '50's. I think?

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #1,826 of 4,308
Well, I have quite a lot of other cans to put on it also. But from the design of the amp, I am truly looking forward to trying these three cans on it.

Quote:

But I already have a plan on building another better amp, maybe a b22 after the exams are over. Man, all the talks over here just make me more and more excited! judging on how interesting the dt48e is already, I will welcome the dt48s (if I can get one) with a party
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #1,827 of 4,308
Quote:

I sold it to him for 120 shipped included pp fees..

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #1,828 of 4,308
Quote:

Same zip code??? AWESOME contact me to hook up on of these days!

I'll be sure to when I get something interesting! Maybe a nice rare ortho, Float, or a vintage DT48 I neglect to tell you about?
tongue.gif

Usually, there are vintage DT48's on ebay.de. There's usually one each time i check about once every month. Most of the time it's the E version though so I pay no bother to it. If I find one, I'll PM you.

And completely off topic, but contact me when (I don't say if, sadly.) your SA5000's cable craps out. I'll do a recabling for you.

@KBI, Oh. Didn't he sell it for...whatever, ha. I'll just look for another.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #1,829 of 4,308
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Not sure. I have a 1968 DT48S I bought from Shamu. 25ohm. & the newer models better it in most areas.. So the S series SQ seems to vary among years. I believe the S series was out of production in the late 70's..

Are you going to bid on the pair you found?

Quote:

For the life of me.... I can not find older DT48's. looked like crazy but either they just are not out there. Or I am looking in the wrong places. I would really like to hear an older pair against my newer ones.

The other night I sat down and listened to the 25 Ohm cans to Norah Jones on an Audio GD Compass amp... well it was just awesome. So If these new cans sound so good... what will the older cans sound like? I really want to know.

Imagine a veil being lifted off your new DT48e.. That is what the original NAGRA DT48S sounds like.. I have the 5 ohm model. Kills me that the cable went out. Will be fixed next month. Plus, higher sense of detail & resolution..Liquid/more effortless mids, better transparency.. Some of these improvements are minor, others are easily noticeable upon first listen..

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #1,830 of 4,308
Quote:

I'll be sure to when I get something interesting! Maybe a nice rare ortho, Float, or a vintage DT48 I neglect to tell you about?
tongue.gif

Usually, there are vintage DT48's on ebay.de. There's usually one each time i check about once every month. Most of the time it's the E version though so I pay no bother to it. If I find one, I'll PM you.

And completely off topic, but contact me when (I don't say if, sadly.) your SA5000's cable craps out. I'll do a recabling for you.

@KBI, Oh. Didn't he sell it for...whatever, ha. I'll just look for another.

Still in his sig. I already have 10 DT48. The only one I really want now is the original/600 ohm pair which I hear exist, & the Original NAGRA DT48S 25 ohm.. Won't be looking for them until June at the earliest. Just bought a Vintage 200 ohm DT48e, with a headband unlike any other DT48 model I have seen. (The owner was the founder of Stereophile. It was his reference headphone.) The new owner says they are warm, which through me for a loop. Someone labeled them the franken 48
popcorn.gif
I hope the recable adds improvement.. The insides of the plug was rust & the wires were held together with electrical tape.. Looks like the stock plug from the 50's... I will know if they were spliced or not..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back