The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Mar 22, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #1,741 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Conclusion

The HD-800 and K-1000 are formidable headphones. The are certainly different but excellent. If I could only have one, I would pick the HD-800 for it's consistancy and easier drive requirements. I can take a long walk with my HD-800, Zune and IBasso portable amp and enjoy a symphony, I don't think that would be possible with the K-1000.

But I am just scratching the surface with the K-1000, they may be even better than I know. I am glad that I don't have to choose one or the other.

With the two above, the SA-5000 is a bit unnecessary, I guess. They don't really add anything the above don't have and are not overall as good headphones as either. But they are less expensive and alternatives to the HD-600/K-701 kind of stuff, I like 'em a bit more than my K-701, so that's saying something.

The DT-48 is just a different breed of cat. Considering their unique presentation and less than stratospheric price, they are definite keepers. Ultimately, I like them better than the SA-5000, though others may find the DT-48 too weird and prefer the more mainstream sound of the Sony's.

Kevin

Nice comparo Kevin, and I would certainly echo the sentiment that the DT48 is very difficult to compare directly with any other headphone. It just doesn't seem to want to play the "my headphone is better than your headphone"-game.

Thanks especially for putting the SA5000 in perspective.

Can I ask what amps were used for the comparison?

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #1,742 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice comparo Kevin, and I would certainly echo the sentiment that the DT48 is very difficult to compare directly with any other headphone. It just doesn't seem to want to play the "my headphone is better than your headphone"-game.

Thanks especially for putting the SA5000 in perspective.

Can I ask what amps were used for the comparison?

Thanks. I have been on a mini-quest to educate myself recently (actually since I got my tax refund check
biggrin.gif
Yes, I know, sorry about my wallet
redface.gif
)

To that effect, I have added K-1000, SA5000, and a 8 ohm DT-48 recently and have CD-2000 and CD-3000 coming, (added because I couldn't get the deal done for a pair of R-10 (big gulp)). Could T-1's be far behind?

I selected these phones because they were units that, based on the reports here on head-fi, struck me as interesting. I wanted units that had the potential to be "better" than the K-701/HD-600 type phones (that strike me as the baseline for very good phones). And I think the only way to find out is to gather together a variety of units that you own where you don't have to rush in your evaluation.

The nice thing is there is no sense that I "have" to like them, no sense that they are my new pride and joy and they have to be great. I can listen to them subjectively fairly objectively, if that makes sense
wink.gif

The amps I am using are; Revox 251 integrated (a very excellent and underrated unit, IMHO), a homebrew "gainclone" amp (I built it in an cast metal box, it's not beautiful, but the whole chassis is a heatsink) an Ibasso D2 portable amp (velcro-ed to my Zune) and a Bryston 3BST in my main living room system. Sources are Lexicon RT-10 CD/SACD player (living room), EMT 938 turntable (living room) and a Pioneer universal player with the Revox (I like vinyl and SACD best). I use the Zune and a Sony D-25 CD semi-walkman portable.

I have a Matrix m-stage on the way to have a dedicated headphone amp, though I think that what I have is pretty good.

FYI, I was also bitten by the IEM bug and bought Senn IE-8, Ortofon e-Q7, A-T CK-10 and Panasonic HJE-900 to go with my Westones and Ety's. But what will REALLY be interesting is I have a pair of Final Audio 1601SS coming. What interested me about these is that they are an expensive unit that people think is either the best IEM they have heard, or the worst IEM they have heard (sorta like many folks feel about the DT-48). They could be a washout, but unfortunately, I am like the thief in "Dirty Harry"...

"I gots to know"

Kevin

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #1,743 of 4,308
Quote:

They are detailed within their range and very clear and articulate in the midrange with a non-spectacular but "true blue" sound.
Kevin

This is exactly what I feel make the DT48 so unique and why I enjoy them so much.

And they scale amazingly well with proper amp/source. Currently feeding my Lavry with an async USB/SPDIF HiFace device, and I must say that the sense of continuity and realism of the music is simply outstanding. While I increase the volume with live or acoustic music, I do not get a hint of distorsion and absolutely zero listening fatigue even after long sessions. I would even dare to say it can actually do for a very relaxing experience at high levels. I just can not imagine a closer experience to reality (once you mentaly adjust for the headstage presentation).

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #1,744 of 4,308
I'm exactly the same, except i have ordered a headstage arrow portable amp and since i have read it can power hd 650 perfectly and is on par with high end amps or a bit better then yea and a USB DAC Stick Headphone Amplifier (Sound Card) .

I may have to have it on 120 ohm impedance as to what you guys are talking about.

Will be interesting because the amp gives headstage and alot of bass and warmth.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #1,745 of 4,308
Quote:

Thanks. I have been on a mini-quest to educate myself recently (actually since I got my tax refund check
biggrin.gif
redface.gif
)

To that effect, I have added K-1000, SA5000, and a 8 ohm DT-48 recently and have CD-2000 and CD-3000 coming, (added because I couldn't get the deal done for a pair of R-10 (big gulp)). Could T-1's be far behind?

I selected these phones because they were units that, based on the reports here on head-fi, struck me as interesting. I wanted units that had the potential to be "better" than the K-701/HD-600 type phones (that strike me as the baseline for very good phones). And I think the only way to find out is to gather together a variety of units that you own where you don't have to rush in your evaluation.

The nice thing is there is no sense that I "have" to like them, no sense that they are my new pride and joy and they have to be great. I can listen to them subjectively fairly objectively, if that makes sense
wink.gif

The amps I am using are; Revox 251 integrated (a very excellent and underrated unit, IMHO), a homebrew "gainclone" amp (I built it in an cast metal box, it's not beautiful, but the whole chassis is a heatsink) an Ibasso D2 portable amp (velcro-ed to my Zune) and a Bryston 3BST in my main living room system. Sources are Lexicon RT-10 CD/SACD player (living room), EMT 938 turntable (living room) and a Pioneer universal player with the Revox (I like vinyl and SACD best). I use the Zune and a Sony D-25 CD semi-walkman portable.

I have a Matrix m-stage on the way to have a dedicated headphone amp, though I think that what I have is pretty good.

FYI, I was also bitten by the IEM bug and bought Senn IE-8, Ortofon e-Q7, A-T CK-10 and Panasonic HJE-900 to go with my Westones and Ety's. But what will REALLY be interesting is I have a pair of Final Audio 1601SS coming. What interested me about these is that they are an expensive unit that people think is either the best IEM they have heard, or the worst IEM they have heard (sorta like many folks feel about the DT-48). They could be a washout, but unfortunately, I am like the thief in "Dirty Harry"...

"I gots to know"

Kevin

The DT48 reminds me of the girl that won't kiss you on the first date, & make you 'earn it.' While Sen/Grado girls are very kissable on the first date..
tongue.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #1,746 of 4,308
Quote:

biggrin.gif
redface.gif
)

wink.gif

"I gots to know"

Kevin

Hey, Kev.. What language are you speaking in? I'm not native in DIY/ hi end audiophila..
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #1,747 of 4,308
If there is a better place on Head-Fi to ask this question, please point me in the right direction. Bought a used DT48 of undetermined age off Ebay in December. I replaced the cable on the phone (intermittant problems) with what appears to be the stock one. Now I'm no expert at soldering, but I did a continuity test on the cable after the solder job and the cable itself checks out OK. The problem is that I now get no sound at all. Any thoughts on what I did wrong or need to check? It seemed too easy at the time.
frown.gif

I should add that when I soldered the cable, I unscrewed the little brass connection from the phones, so they were not connected to the transducers at the time.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #1,748 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT48 reminds me of the girl that won't kiss you on the first date, & make you 'earn it.' While Sen/Grado girls are very kissable on the first date..
tongue.gif

It's also hard to get a date in the first place...

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #1,749 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Allen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there is a better place on Head-Fi to ask this question, please point me in the right direction. Bought a used DT48 of undetermined age off Ebay in December. I replaced the cable on the phone (intermittant problems) with what appears to be the stock one. Now I'm no expert at soldering, but I did a continuity test on the cable after the solder job and the cable itself checks out OK. The problem is that I now get no sound at all. Any thoughts on what I did wrong or need to check? It seemed too easy at the time.
frown.gif

Either here or the DIY section. Kevin is a engineer, maybe he can help you out..

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #1,750 of 4,308
I bought a 1950's DT48a from littlebear.. The cable was spliced & I had it recabled by ASP with his ASP V3 cable.. Me & Alex both agree this model is more harsh & unforgiving then the 05 DT48a he recabled.. I do notice the resolve extends much further.. This was easily recognizable in Hotel California, a song I know by heart, & know every nook & cranny.. Littlebear now has the 4070, & says it reveals hiss in recordings & reveals more reverb in studio recordings then the DT48a I just described. I find this astounding, since this particular DT48a SN 108 is the most detailed & resolving DT48 I have heard to date.. I know the new models have a edge in detail & clarity over the SA5000.. This is how the clarity, detail, & resolve trickle down...

Best to worst
DT48a
NAGRA DT48S 50's edition
vintage DT48e
new DT48e

I never heard a 200ohm DT48 so I can't comment.. But, I'm sure many that have multiple pairsa from different eras will agree with my assessment.. The 4070 being that much more resolving is scary, & makes me want to run out & buy a pair..

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #1,751 of 4,308
Never mind.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #1,752 of 4,308
For acoustics, the DT48 can hold it's own with any headphone in terms of getting it right.. They were made for aural acoustics investigations & measurements.. I base this on that & others who have some of the best headphones ever made.. K1000/HP2/HD800/Hi end Stax models..

Ie.. Piano..

What it gets right for me with piano is especially the variety of sound available. The same key struck with different gradations of dynamics can sound very different. A lot of other headphones seem to emphasise either a soft rounded tone or a brilliant, sparkling tone.
A judiciously applied equaliser should help to compensate for the the roll-off in the highs, bringing out a bit more of the harmonics.

Drosera

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #1,753 of 4,308
Anyone care to provide their equalizer settings. I have never used a parametric equalizer before. Also, the Tomahawk is designed to deal with low impedance IEMs, is it good for this application(need portable) For equalizing, should I follow the thread, or use the frequency response graph on wikiphonia. Do you guys aim for flat, or that ideal(reproducing speakers) sound some allude to(dips, peaks treble, slightly above flat base)? Thanks guys, never would have found or bought these otherwise.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #1,754 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by duke11235 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone care to provide their equalizer settings. I have never used a parametric equalizer before. Also, the Tomahawk is designed to deal with low impedance IEMs, is it good for this application(need portable) For equalizing, should I follow the thread, or use the frequency response graph on wikiphonia. Do you guys aim for flat, or that ideal(reproducing speakers) sound some allude to(dips, peaks treble, slightly above flat base)? Thanks guys, never would have found or bought these otherwise.

The DT48 is already flat or darn close to it.. & the perfect phone to EQ. I'm sure the tomahawk will be ideal for the DT48, as they are known to drive 300 ohm headphones to decent levels. About the EQ, I'd just tinker until you find what you like.. Personally, I increase the treble & the highs.. Don't touch the bass at all..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back