The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Feb 23, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #1,471 of 4,308
I work in studio's from time to time and one of 'm had one. They have good connections with Beyer, they also use lots of their other stuff. But no DT48's, come to think of it
evil_smiley.gif
(It was here in Hilversum.)

And thanks for the comments kool bubba ice. I think I'll bid for a K500 and order a DT48E 25ohm.

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #1,472 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slash47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I work in studio's from time to time and one of 'm had one. They have good connections with Beyer, they also use lots of their other stuff. But no DT48's, come to think of it
evil_smiley.gif
(It was here in Hilversum.)

Ah, interesting choice for studio work. Some producer probably convinced his boss that he "really needed it to do his work".
biggrin.gif
I'm still not sure if the DT48E is really that commonly used in recording studios. From all the images I've seen the DT100 and DT150 appear far more common. (They're a lot cheaper too of course.)

Quote:

And thanks for the comments kool bubba ice. I think I'll bid for a K500 and order a DT48E 25ohm.

One last word of advice on the K500. Try to check in the pictures if the pads are at least of decent quality, because you won't be able to buy new ones.

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #1,473 of 4,308
Thanks for the heads up. I'm still a bit iffy about using used pads in the first place. It has a used socks kind of vibe to it... Oh well
biggrin.gif

The T1 was added to their order for mastering and mostly used when working overtime, or so I'm told. I've ordered mine directly from Beyer. I don't think there's any escaping the long wait here in NL.

And the DT150 or the other low number DT's are indeed used a lot for tv and movies and even music, everywhere I come. And rightfully so I might add, it's great value and very sturdy. And you can buy a whole box of 'm at the same time.
beyersmile.png

I'm very curious about the DT48. I'm especially curious about how it presents vinyl, that could be interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, interesting choice for studio work. Some producer probably convinced his boss that he "really needed it to do his work".
biggrin.gif
I'm still not sure if the DT48E is really that commonly used in recording studios. From all the images I've seen the DT100 and DT150 appear far more common. (They're a lot cheaper too of course.)

One last word of advice on the K500. Try to check in the pictures if the pads are at least of decent quality, because you won't be able to buy new ones.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #1,474 of 4,308
Are these great headphones for tv watching? I have been using my K702 and an example is watching a show "Ghost Hunters" they play recordings when the catch a ghosts on tape. Nothing ever seems to be there will the D48 do any better?

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #1,475 of 4,308
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm still a bit iffy about using used pads in the first place. It has a used socks kind of vibe to it... Oh well
biggrin.gif

Haha, I can imagine, though I'm not that squeamish about it myself. Thankfully, you can wash most pads. Alternatively, you can buy more recent AKG pads, like those for the K701. But they destroy most of what's special about these headphones.

I hope for your sake that Beyer finds a way to step up production of those T1s.

Quote:

And the DT150 or the other low number DT's are indeed used a lot for tv and movies and even music, everywhere I come. And rightfully so I might add, it's great value and very sturdy. And you can buy a whole box of 'm at the same time.
beyersmile.png

Funny, I was just reading up on impressions of the DT150. It actually sounds very interesting indeed and given that they are fairly affordable I might buy these before I even buy a T1. (For some or other reason I'm beginning to develop a fondness for closed headphones.)

Quote:

I'm very curious about the DT48. I'm especially curious about how it presents vinyl, that could be interesting.

Let us know how it works. The lack of frequency extension in the highs should certainly be less of a worry with vinyl at least. Although I do hope they won't reproduce the possible artefacts (pops and such) too prominently.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't know if you've already ordered them, but if you haven't you might want to choose a vendor that has a problem-free return policy. These are after all still love-or-hate headphones, although it is good advice to at least spend some time with them, even when you don't particularly like them right away. They can take some getting used to.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #1,476 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these great headphones for tv watching? I have been using my K702 and an example is watching a show "Ghost Hunters" they play recordings when the catch a ghosts on tape. Nothing ever seems to be there will the D48 do any better?

Maybe.. I noticed things my 701/DT880/SA5000 missed, especially in the mid range..

Feb 23, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #1,477 of 4,308
Quote:

biggrin.gif

The T1 was added to their order for mastering and mostly used when working overtime, or so I'm told. I've ordered mine directly from Beyer. I don't think there's any escaping the long wait here in NL.

beyersmile.png

Not sure.. But I went to this one guys website who uses nothing but vinyl..Turntables, etc.. All analog. Vintage loud speakers, & has a pretty elaborate set up.. The guy seemed obsessed actually. Probably has over 6 figures in his set up..When I read through his massive gear list I found something odd.. He listed two headphones.. One was the DT48,(x2. One for monitoring other for pleasure) & the other was some STAX electro's.. So, to his ears, I'm assuming they fit in just fine with vinyl..

Feb 23, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #1,479 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To KBI: What do you think of new DT-48A (audiometric)? Do they have more (or less) of the vintage DT-48 magic?

Kevin

Hard to explain.. All 3 of my DT48a retain the magic, but all 3 are different.. One is extra smooth.. All black cups, no date..Bought from asia.. My 1950's DT48a is more unforgiving, harsher, less refined, but more detailed then then the other 2.. The 05 DT48a is now my least favorite out of the DT48a.. Was listening to them last night, & kept wanting to switch back to the other 2.. I think the magnetic theory Kevin, is dead on..

I still think the NAGRA DT48S is king.. in the magic department.. It's like a hybrid of both DT48a/vintage DT48e IMO.. & the DT48a sound like AM.. Just ultra clear, with less distortion then the other DT48 non Audio metric models, especially with acoustics & voices.. But the DT48a are overly analytical, & sucks the musicality out of rock/R&B/Hip Hop, but can still give you the emotional connection with jazz, vocals, acoustics, bongo drums, & Japanese acoustic music is to die for.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #1,480 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hard to explain.. All 3 of my DT48a retain the magic, but all 3 are different.. One is extra smooth.. All black cups, no date..Bought from asia.. My 1950's DT48a is more unforgiving, harsher, less refined, but more detailed then then the other 2.. The 05 DT48a is now my least favorite out of the DT48a.. Was listening to them last night, & kept wanting to switch back to the other 2.. I think the magnetic theory Kevin, is dead on..

Does the DT-48A retain it's magic with DT-48E circumaural pads? Or is it necessary to grow callus on your ears to enjoy them?
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #1,482 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by spartan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOO HOO my DT48's are shipping from B&H today! I feel like a school boy waiting for his new pony!

Congrats or commiserations depending on what your synergy with the DT48 will be.
biggrin.gif

I would sure love to hear how it works on your SP amps.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #1,483 of 4,308
I am looking forward to plugging them into the MPX3. I bought the 200 Ohm version of the cans

I am so impressed with the SA5K on the SP amps... I am hoping the DT48's will give me a chubby as well.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #1,484 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by spartan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am hoping the DT48's will give me a chubby as well.

Oh, they have all sorts of uses.
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #1,485 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the DT-48A retain it's magic with DT-48E circumaural pads? Or is it necessary to grow callus on your ears to enjoy them?
biggrin.gif

Looking like a hardened wrestler is cool..
biggrin.gif
I tried the Circum pads, couldn't get them to fit.. Guess I'm doing something wrong..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back