The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Apr 9, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #4,126 of 4,303
For those who are curious what the magnet assembly looks like disassembled. This is from the DT 480 but it should be identical.

CDD3609D-682D-4659-B133-64BDBEB95812.jpeg

32829CD9-FE4A-4CF8-9131-B9847859C5AD.jpeg

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #4,127 of 4,303
DT 48/480 use ferrite magnets. They are not as strong as neodymium magnets at same size. https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/faq/Should-I-buy-a-ferrite-or-neodymium-magnet Is it possible for you take measurements of that magnet and see if you can find similar sized stronger neodymium magnet from somewehere? Some magnet companies are be able to do custom magnets as well if needed. That would propably be first magnet upgrade to 48/480 system.

Apr 11, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #4,128 of 4,303
DT 48/480 use ferrite magnets. They are not as strong as neodymium magnets at same size. https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/faq/Should-I-buy-a-ferrite-or-neodymium-magnet Is it possible for you take measurements of that magnet and see if you can find similar sized stronger neodymium magnet from somewehere? Some magnet companies are be able to do custom magnets as well if needed. That would propably be first magnet upgrade to 48/480 system.

I have thought about getting neodymium magnets for the DT 480. The measurements I got of the ferrite magnet are 44mm diameter outer, 30 mm diameter inner. And a thickness of 8mm.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #4,129 of 4,303
This mod was posted in mod thread, but thought some dt48 fans would be interested. I've added one final mod at the end.

The most exciting part for me, and i;ve spent over a month figuring this out was tightening the 30hz-100hz region. I am HAPPY TO SAY I've done it.

Initial mods: Xtreme Dynamat + Sorbothane, cotton.

dt48.1.jpg
dt48.2.jpg
dt480.4.jpg
dt480.5.jpg
dt480.6.jpg
dt480.7.jpg
dt480.8.jpg
dt480.9.jpg
dt480.10.jpg

In the middle of the night, I was still having some minor issues when pushing 30-100hz. I was playing bass tests, hip hop, Retro Synthwave, and it needed some tightening. I stuffed the dt150 pads with cotton balls (4 balls per pad - 1 1/2 rear, 1/2 top, 1/2 bottom, 1 front) and 1/2 sheet bounty rolled and stuffed around perimeter (keeps cotton secure). This obviously fattens the pad to max, and it is taped down with red/blue electrical tape.

dt480subbass.jpg

30-100hz problem : SOLVED .

The Audio GODS were kind to me this night. I couldn't believe it. I can hear all the 30-100hz notes. OFC, cannot feel it compared to bassheads cans. It will not move air, but the notes are there, and they are tight. Sealing everything , and controlling vibrations via overkill made a difference. How do I know? Well doing bass sweeps, there is no rattle, fuzz, burps, farts. Its all there. Believe it.

Now I have this dinosaur dynamic transducer which can play modern music for analysis purpose. It also has a musical quality. There is no sibilance whatsoever. The distance from driver has softened the treble a bit, and brought the mids back a tad. Overall to my ears, its a much more relaxed listen, with most of the details still present. Is dt150 better overall for music listening? For most people. Yes. For studying music? I give the nod to the 480. That is saying something that it can even battle the 150 IMO. Its not perfect, but i'm one step closer, i might cut a hole in the foam to expose driver, to increase a bit of that sparkle.

I read a lot of Dalethorn's observation on sub-bass frequencies being present albeit hidden or lost due to seal, so with some faith, i persevered even after snapping the headband trying to get more clamp, and tearing an internal wire. Lots of trials and tribulations trying to extract this nearly 80 year old design driver.

I AM 2oooooOOo HAPPY TO HOLD THIS BEAST :D

Just food for thought. YMMV

May 26, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #4,130 of 4,303
Always wanting and searching for the perfect (to my ears) midcentric and detailed headphone, kept running into the dt48 thread, but kept ignoring it and then finally bid on a pair of dt48a (with oval pads). I got to say that I think I am finally satisfied and done with my journey with a pair of dt48a and pair of stax sr-x pro. They are both so wonderfully transparent and detailed and at the same time glorious in their mids that I can stop wanting and searching.

I still listen to ATH-AD2000 and Stax SR-5 for fun and for rocking out. For such a long time, I thought there was nothing that can beat a pair of grado's for rock, but even for rock, I learned that the ad2000 and sr-5 (to my ears) out performs the grado for rocking out. Who knows, I may even tire of listening to the ad2000 and sr-5 and just learn to rock out with the dt48a and sr-x pro.

Only thing I need to ever upgrade is my chord hugo every two years with each new release.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #4,131 of 4,303

I just got the DT 48. No idea what year this is from but I am guessing it’s on older model (perhaps the 70’s) because the Beyerdynamic lettering doesn’t mirror the newer 48E version. Only have limited time on them but my initial impression is that they sound great. Amazingly clean and detailed. Pure for lack of a better word. I was expecting to be a little disappointed and get some type of AM radio sound too dependent on seal but that’s not the case at all. Really impressed so far.

Those are the ones I have as well. Been listening a lot lately with my O2 amp and the mids are the best I’ve heard. Even more important, the timbre sounds spot on compared to a lot of other phones. Should I mention the k700 series? Probably best not to :wink:

May 26, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #4,132 of 4,303
Always wanting and searching for the perfect (to my ears) midcentric and detailed headphone, kept running into the dt48 thread, but kept ignoring it and then finally bid on a pair of dt48a (with oval pads). I got to say that I think I am finally satisfied and done with my journey with a pair of dt48a and pair of stax sr-x pro. They are both so wonderfully transparent and detailed and at the same time glorious in their mids that I can stop wanting and searching.

I still listen to ATH-AD2000 and Stax SR-5 for fun and for rocking out. For such a long time, I thought there was nothing that can beat a pair of grado's for rock, but even for rock, I learned that the ad2000 and sr-5 (to my ears) out performs the grado for rocking out. Who knows, I may even tire of listening to the ad2000 and sr-5 and just learn to rock out with the dt48a and sr-x pro.

Only thing I need to ever upgrade is my chord hugo every two years with each new release.

Welcome to the club, sling5s! Glad others are enjoying them as much as I am. I wrote a lot about the dt48 mids a few years back. When I was in high school I played in jazz bands and orchestras, and the dt48 comes closest of any phone I’ve heard....and I’ve heard some good ones..,,of reproducing the sounds of acoustic instruments that I heard when I played jazz and classical. I was a drummer and percussionist in bands and orchestras. Not to mention how they portray great singers. With Sarah Vaughn from the Ken Burns jazz series, they are truly amazing.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #4,136 of 4,303
My dt48a right channel buzzes sometimes. Got it from ebay seller in Germnay/Netherlands. Any ideas?

i had this issue, it drove me nuts, but in the end, i found the trick... i vacuumed like 7-10 times with my mouth and it is fixed O.o
i didnt go hard on a vacuum part, dont wanna f up like that... maybe worth a try :disappointed_relieved:

May 27, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #4,137 of 4,303
Thanks.

I blew some air with air spray and haven’t heard the buzz. If that doesn’t work, I guess I’ll try sucking some air out.

May 27, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #4,138 of 4,303
I heard the Utopia, HD800 and ath-adx5000 our of chord Hugo 2 and I don’t remember it being as resolving as the dt48a.

May 28, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #4,139 of 4,303
Thanks.

I blew some air with air spray and haven’t heard the buzz. If that doesn’t work, I guess I’ll try sucking some air out.
Sometimes a little puff of air in the little holes does the trick

i had this issue, it drove me nuts, but in the end, i found the trick... i vacuumed like 7-10 times with my mouth and it is fixed O.o
i didnt go hard on a vacuum part, dont wanna f up like that... maybe worth a try :disappointed_relieved:

giphy.gif

Good Lawwwddd

The fidelity on these cans have made people go mad.

May 28, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #4,140 of 4,303
I have an opportunity to buy the DT48S pictured below. Not sure whether they are in a working condition (will inquire), but assuming that they are:

1. Is it possible to determine the production period they're from? I guess the 60s or the 70s, but that's as much as I can figure out. One hint is thet they're described as "Typ Nr III 48S", and their serial number starts with 68.
2. What is a sensible price for them? Would around $150 be an OK price, a steal, or overpaying?

0cfbf209c56f639c0f3cf2e82d8c6017_big.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back