The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Oct 29, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #3,886 of 4,303

The Violectric V200 makes the DT48 SING. Both the 200 ohm and 25 ohm DT48E sound amazing on it. Buttery smooth, yet with the DT48 speed and detail.

I do not hear any difference in sound between the two different ohm-versions by the way. I've heard people say that the 25 ohm is slightly more in your face and with more bass slam, but IME they are identical, other than the obvious volume difference. If people hear a difference, it's probably due to slight variation in the way the earpads fit on their head. I find I really need to take some time fiddling with them to position them just right before I get the best sound.

I was supposed to believe that higher ohm headphones have thinner voice coils or something. That would make me think there could well be a sound difference.

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #3,887 of 4,303
  I was supposed to believe that higher ohm headphones have thinner voice coils or something. That would make me think there could well be a sound difference.

Less VC winding = Low Mass.
That's the impedance system for Beyers.

Since Beyer recommends 100-120 OI, the Beyerdynamic A20 or A2 on paper should be the most ideal match for them.

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #3,889 of 4,303
Right, but he did not demonstrate that the magnetic system of top and bottom plates (the latter with the very tight tolerance gap for the coil) and inbetween circular magnet are held together only by the magnetic force. If these parts are moved out of position ever so slightly the voice coil will scrape against the gap's walls. Beyer had precision tools to assemble these parts. I advice anyone not to unscrew the centre piece unless there's a problem already.

All these procedures have been clarified earlier in this thread.

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #3,890 of 4,303
Right, but he did not demonstrate that the magnetic system of top and bottom plates (the latter with the very tight tolerance gap for the coil) and inbetween circular magnet are held together only by the magnetic force. If these parts are moved out of position ever so slightly the voice coil will scrape against the gap's walls. Beyer had precision tools to assemble these parts. I advice anyone not to unscrew the centre piece unless there's a problem already.

All these procedures have been clarified earlier in this thread.

Really have to admire Eugen Beyer's timeless technology.

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #3,891 of 4,303
My DT 48 E 200 ohm arrived on Tuesday in good condition.I was little bit surprised that they are smaller than i thought.They fit quite nicely on my head,although they feel somewhat clumsy.I first listened them through Galaxy S II.Since these are 200 ohm i was going to set S II volume to max to even hear something,but i didn´t have to.They sound mighty fine even out of S II.At first they didn´t wow me at all.After few mins of listening i started to hear new details.I compared them to DT 880 250 ohms and was amazed how much details 880 missed.DT 48´s build quality is just something special.880 feels like a toy.These are the most coherent and correct sounding headphones I have ever heard.

On thursday I brought these to school and my friend wanted to have a listen.He laughed when he saw all this aluminum,screws,nuts and bolts construction.He also laughed when I told him about the sweat buildup.He liked how these sound,especially bass tightness on Michael Jackson´s Beat It.This same friend also ordered ODAC + O2 combo few days ago and is going to bring them to school so we can listen DT 48 with proper amping.

Today I made a little comparison between these and HE-500.Well,DT 48 I almost as smooth as HE-500 which really surprised me.It was also more detailed.All in all,i´m amazed what 77 years old transducer technology can do.Obviously you can propably guess that I will never sell these.No need for headphone upgrades anymore.

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #3,892 of 4,303
Nice to hear your impressions Henery. Vintage cans cuddle with junior owner. Enjoy the music!

These headphones have some of the best midrange detail in the biz and are also extremely fast sounding with little to no decay. The T1s, although superior in several respects don't seem to present the same level of details in the mids... T1s mids are a bit recessed compared with DT48 also.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #3,893 of 4,303
  My DT 48 E 200 ohm arrived on Tuesday in good condition.I was little bit surprised that they are smaller than i thought.They fit quite nicely on my head,although they feel somewhat clumsy.I first listened them through Galaxy S II.Since these are 200 ohm i was going to set S II volume to max to even hear something,but i didn´t have to.They sound mighty fine even out of S II.At first they didn´t wow me at all.After few mins of listening i started to hear new details.I compared them to DT 880 250 ohms and was amazed how much details 880 missed.DT 48´s build quality is just something special.880 feels like a toy.These are the most coherent and correct sounding headphones I have ever heard.

On thursday I brought these to school and my friend wanted to have a listen.He laughed when he saw all this aluminum,screws,nuts and bolts construction.He also laughed when I told him about the sweat buildup.He liked how these sound,especially bass tightness on Michael Jackson´s Beat It.This same friend also ordered ODAC + O2 combo few days ago and is going to bring them to school so we can listen DT 48 with proper amping.

Today I made a little comparison between these and HE-500.Well,DT 48 I almost as smooth as HE-500 which really surprised me.It was also more detailed.All in all,i´m amazed what 77 years old transducer technology can do.Obviously you can propably guess that I will never sell these.No need for headphone upgrades anymore.

Now try Billie Jean, the compression of the drums is soo crispy 
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #3,894 of 4,303
Folks, any one spotted the DT48A in Vario Cup 2 on Ebay.de ? It seems the Vario Cup 2 is some kind of Peltor Ear defender. Very intersted in hearing this. Don´t have the money. SOmeone should try it, it seems quite nice. Don´t think you have to pay the whole amount though, buyer accepts Preisvorschlage.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #3,895 of 4,303
  Folks, any one spotted the DT48A in Vario Cup 2 on Ebay.de ? It seems the Vario Cup 2 is some kind of Peltor Ear defender. Very intersted in hearing this. Don´t have the money. SOmeone should try it, it seems quite nice. Don´t think you have to pay the whole amount though, buyer accepts Preisvorschlage.

Yup, saw it like 2 days ago.
Looks pretty weird, I don't think collectors will be interested in it.

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #3,896 of 4,303
DT48A are my favorites 
redface.gif

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #3,897 of 4,303
Well, I found an ebay lot for 19 studio headphones and headsets (untested) for $100. I was pretty sure I could see a DT48 in there, so I nabbed it, figuring it would give me a project for the next while.

Turns out there are two pairs of functioning DT48 200 ohm models, though they were in reasonably rough shape. I feel a bit like I saved some dogs from a puppy mill.

After a bit of cleaning and fixing one of the plugs to fix the stereo orientation, I have to say that they sound significantly different and better than I remember the 25ohm older version I had a couple years ago. The old ones were pretty anemic in the bass, and while these aren't bass monsters, they are punchy all the way down to the deep parts of the register, without sacrificing the incredible sound through the rest of the spectrum.

I don't think I want to take pictures of them, because they are looking pretty rough (and I had to put some old Pioneer pads on one of them as a stopgap measure), but I think it was a pretty sweet deal overall. I still have to work my way through the bits and pieces of Sennheiser 250 Linear II, but I also ended up with a couple of functional Sony headphones, a DT250, and enough DT100 to start my own studio.

At any rate, thought I should swing back through to acknowledge that I don't think I was hearing what I was supposed to with the pair I had before.

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #3,898 of 4,303
  Well, I found an ebay lot for 19 studio headphones and headsets (untested) for $100. I was pretty sure I could see a DT48 in there, so I nabbed it, figuring it would give me a project for the next while.

Turns out there are two pairs of functioning DT48 200 ohm models, though they were in reasonably rough shape. I feel a bit like I saved some dogs from a puppy mill.

After a bit of cleaning and fixing one of the plugs to fix the stereo orientation, I have to say that they sound significantly different and better than I remember the 25ohm older version I had a couple years ago. The old ones were pretty anemic in the bass, and while these aren't bass monsters, they are punchy all the way down to the deep parts of the register, without sacrificing the incredible sound through the rest of the spectrum.

I don't think I want to take pictures of them, because they are looking pretty rough (and I had to put some old Pioneer pads on one of them as a stopgap measure), but I think it was a pretty sweet deal overall. I still have to work my way through the bits and pieces of Sennheiser 250 Linear II, but I also ended up with a couple of functional Sony headphones, a DT250, and enough DT100 to start my own studio.

At any rate, thought I should swing back through to acknowledge that I don't think I was hearing what I was supposed to with the pair I had before.

$100 for all those Classics?
You are WINNING Sir!

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #3,899 of 4,303
That is crazy and im jealous. 

If I didnt have special real life right now I would probably buy another DT48 and experiment their sound with a couple of different sources. Fun testing. I miss the DT48 "sound".

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #3,900 of 4,303
So after a long wait of 5 weeks, my spares arrived from Germany. There was delay because of some paperwork mismatch, since I special ordered them it came via Beyerdynamic India's monthly goods shipment.
Anyway its here and my NOS 48 is pimped out..I have to admit the wait was worth it, in the process of waiting I added a Amphenol plug because the soldering looked quite bad, cold solder joints etc, so I added a new one myself. Still have the stock housing with me, so it's safe!

Sound wise, the DT48 is something different.
I still have to spend a lot of time but I wanted to share my experience so far, the stock pads from 89 had no bass, after I put these new one's the bass is excellent.
I ran test tones and they performed splendidly, they never hit excursion, there is no end, they never give up.

Now I don't own many high-end headphones but the only headphone that impressed me was the HE-60, that's a fine E-Stat and although my memory is rough the DT48's timbre quality and accuracy is not far from it, the DT48 is a headphone that really does something right..I'll probably never ever sell this Historic Classic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back