The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
May 18, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #706 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SA5000 has more details but more recessed (neutral) mids, I guess that might confuse for a better resolution in the midrange, don't know. I just base all that observations on E model I owned, may be A is different.
confused.gif

possible. But I can make out dialouge that I couldn't make out with the SA5000.. I test all my headphones on various movie scenes.. The a model has even more forward mids. I read the only difference is the padding used.. But the difference in sound is quite noticeable.. I guess, I'm still not ready to believe that padding can make SUCH a big difference.. I did mod a pair of e models.. I put another pad over the existing pad.. Better depth & sense of space.. Instruments had more room & extension, mid range become less prominent, but I felt it neutered what make the DT48 so great IMO...

May 19, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #708 of 4,308
higher level of detail, clarity, resolve, seperation, & speed.. Less depth & soundstage.. Much less bass impact.. For chamber music.. Very suitable.. Some complain the cello lacks 'warmth' on the DT48.. You will either love them or hate them.

May 20, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #710 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally got my er4p (with s adapter) , and I'm not left wanting after the DT48 .
They are like little portable Dt48's .... , but without the comfort and fit issues.

How are they different?

May 20, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #711 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are they different?

The DT48 obviously has a better soundstage, the er4 is all inside my head.

Also , call me crazy , but I think the ER4 bass goes deeper, and has slightly more impact than the DT48, whilst keeping the same totally flat frequency response.
It must be the result of having the drivers sealed inside my ear canal as opposed to a the comparatively leaky earcup of DT48
smile_phones.gif

As far as details go , hard to say right now who has the edge,
I would not be surprised if it is the DT48 by a slight hair .. but.. I'm not running it from any professional grade gear right now, just my samsung dap, and an X-Fi Xtreme Gamer soundcard.
I'm gonna buy a good dac/amp combo next week, and then report back.

I would say that you should definitely try a pair if you can spare the $$
I very sure it would be to your tastes.
I imagine it would be outstanding from something like the dac1.
I bought mine used and paid about $150 US, so can be had for good price.

L3000.gif

May 20, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #712 of 4,308
Quote:

How are they different?

ER4S has better treble extension, details are on par, bass has a little more impact.

May 20, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #714 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the pink cup / baby blue cup design of the DT48 looks a bit silly. (Or isn't it the 48 that has this color scheme?)

That's A (audiometry) version, E (studio) is pitch black.

May 20, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #716 of 4,308
Quote:

I think that the pink cup / baby blue cup design of the DT48 looks a bit silly. (Or isn't it the 48 that has this color scheme?)

Because the a version was made for research use to a greater degree then the e model. I doubt I could ever recommend the a version to anyone unless they are a die hard acoustic fan. I think the a version does acoustics a bit better..

May 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #717 of 4,308
Quote:

Right. And the frequency graph of the A version indicates that it has no treble over 12 000 HZ. Not good... but is that graph accurate?

I guess it depends how they measured it. Too be fair, they are not made for consumer market. I turn up the treble on my reciever and can extent the highs and lows...

May 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #718 of 4,308
Quote:

I guess it depends how they measured it. Too be fair, they are not made for consumer market. I turn up the treble on my reciever and can extent the highs and lows...

Not ideal for music then. I'd expect then that instruments lack air, and for instance electric guitars sound dead (no echo)? Perhaps there is no sparkle either to instruments that go Bing?
EDIT: Note that this is a question, not something I heard from the DT48A.

May 20, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #719 of 4,308
I'll probably get the money to buy the DT48as, so I'll post impressions.

There's a pair of DT48s on ebay

Link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back