The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Jan 29, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #4,276 of 4,308
At the moment: Audio-gd SA-31. I have ordered a WBA Tzar OTL amp which should (hopefully) ship in February...

do let us know how the Tzar handles the Dt48s.Last January I had the eufonika h7 with the massdrop hd58x. Great power and slam but the sound was noticeably grainy. I remember thinking at the time that what this amp needs are Beyerdynamics. Unfortunately I couldn’t pursue at that time as I was coming back home to Naim for my amp/speaker rig so couldn’t spare any funds for headphone setup.

now though I’m interested in the Hagerman tuba, darkvoice, Felix and WBA. I choose gear on looks as much as it’s performance so it’s obvious I’d be leaning towards tube amps. My holy grail is the ZANA DeUX X by Eddie Current but I don’t think I will likely find one for sale or even have the funds available to snag it. What a sexy amplifier though. Arguably one of the best looking bits of hifi gear ever.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #4,277 of 4,308
The Tzar has one major thing in common with the Zana Deux: both are OTL designs with triode output stages using tubes with a low internal resistance (in fact, early versions of the Tzar used the 6C33C- the same tube as the Zana...). This, combined with plenty of power, makes them suitable for low-Z cans.

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #4,278 of 4,308
Due to consistency and quality issues with the 6C33C available at the moment, WBA switched to the (better) 6C41C.

Feb 6, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #4,279 of 4,308
So the dt48E 200ohm then.
In many ways these cans remind me of an Alpha Romeo I’d owned many years ago. This beautiful Alfa GT finished in glorious alpha red was a real nightmare to maintain. It’s flaws were plentiful and the car spent as much time in the hands of the mechanic as it did in mine. I found myself making excuses to justify owning it. Flawed as it was, I’ve had the best drives of my life in that car. The low end purge from the engine was sublime and the brilliant chassis, drivetrain and power delivery made driving in the country on a summers day an exhilarating experience.

The dt48s are also flawed and frustrating at times. They are not comfortable. They clamp on my head firmly and the leather ear pads leave my ears sweaty and sore after just an hour of use. They aren’t the best built headphones. Sure, the use of metal and leather is nice but everything is put together in a crude fashion. They don’t exude refinement or luxury by any stretch of the imagination. The sound from these cans is strange to say the least. The low end is best described as curtailed, they don’t have much of a soundstage and the treble isn’t particularly effervescent.

But, if you’re willing to cater to these headphones they will reward you like no other. You will need a high-end source to begin with and an equally formidable amplifier to get the best out of them. You must also reset your expectation of what neutrality really is. We live in a world today where mastering engineers boost treble to clipping and bass cans are ubiquitous. Even the Harman target response curve boosts the lower frequencies. This means that the reference for today’s headphones is a frequency response curve that best imitates a speaker response in a room. For me, this is a highly flawed philosophy as they are two different pieces of kit that present audio in a very different way.

The Dt48s are from an era where this was not the case. They do not attempt to be anything other than close proximity transducers with the highest fidelity. This quality is why I honestly believe they leave all the other headphones I have heard in their trail. That anaemic bass I’ve mentioned is actually more correct than the alternatives. It’s isn’t boosted one bit and is incredibly transparent. It articulates tone and texture of the lower frequencies beautifully and I’m able to discern the body and sound of instruments with ease. The woody element to an acoustic guitar or the texture of the strings is laid bare. This perceived lean character lends to a wickedly fast low end which makes even the planars I’ve heard sound slow in comparison. Have no doubt about this, these headphones are fast and detailed.

That detail however does not come at the expense of a smooth treble response. This headphone cannot be described as harsh. If anything the treble has a slight roll off so no ear bleeding here. However, compared to my incredibly smooth Harbeth 30.2XD speakers I am still able to pick up on the tone of that metal driver. Don’t let this put you off though as I am incredibly sensitive to this. I have an affinity for soft dome tweeters on high end speakers and I always prefer them to air motion tweeters or metal domes. Not to mention I’m comparing the dt48s treble to a speaker rig with an estimated value of 20k sterling.

And now onto the best quality of the dt48s. That midrange. Here, these pair of headphones better every other I’ve heard and by quite a margin. Every recording sounds different with the dt48s because it was recorded and mastered that way. This to me is a clear demonstration of the high fidelity these cans posses. Keep in mind the soundstage is very closed in. The sound is reminiscent of high end Naim gear. Pace, rhythm and timing lead the way and everything else is secondary. In my honest opinion the tone is absolutely neutral but it’s the transparency which leaves me throughly entertained.

However, I truly believe that the focused and transparent tuning of these cans is what will be a problem for many headfi-ers. For most, the visceral bass of many alternatives will be more impressive and the lightning fast bass on the dt48s will never be enough as it considerably less extended; Regardless of the fact that it’s closer in fidelity to my reference speaker rig than any planar or dynamic I’ve heard. I’ve also heard more extended treble from other headphones with the caveat of that metallic sheen that I cannot stand. Then there is the alternative, the dark treble tuning which just sounds wrong to me but is to many peoples liking. In addition to this the dt48s are not comfortable for me. Compared to modern beyers there is a very noticeable difference. This is a very important consideration for many people and I really do feel they may avoid the dt48s for this reason alone.

To conclude then, the beyerdynamic dt48s have a sound that few adore, many despise and most simply will never understand. I believe that they were designed and built in an era that makes them less relevant to many users today. Even so, for me they are the most fun I’ve had with headphones. They are a true high fidelity pair of headphones that give you the most honest rendition of the signal they are fed.

gear used;MacBook Pro (Audirvana plus playback software), Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, Audio Note DAC 2.1x Signature, Eufonika h7 amplifier.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #4,280 of 4,308
So the dt48E 200ohm then.
In many ways these cans remind me of an Alpha Romeo I’d owned many years ago. This beautiful Alfa GT finished in glorious alpha red was a real nightmare to maintain. It’s flaws were plentiful and the car spent as much time in the hands of the mechanic as it did in mine. I found myself making excuses to justify owning it. Flawed as it was, I’ve had the best drives of my life in that car. The low end purge from the engine was sublime and the brilliant chassis, drivetrain and power delivery made driving in the country on a summers day an exhilarating experience.

The dt48s are also flawed and frustrating at times. They are not comfortable. They clamp on my head firmly and the leather ear pads leave my ears sweaty and sore after just an hour of use. They aren’t the best built headphones. Sure, the use of metal and leather is nice but everything is put together in a crude fashion. They don’t exude refinement or luxury by any stretch of the imagination. The sound from these cans is strange to say the least. The low end is best described as curtailed, they don’t have much of a soundstage and the treble isn’t particularly effervescent.

But, if you’re willing to cater to these headphones they will reward you like no other. You will need a high-end source to begin with and an equally formidable amplifier to get the best out of them. You must also reset your expectation of what neutrality really is. We live in a world today where mastering engineers boost treble to clipping and bass cans are ubiquitous. Even the Harman target response curve boosts the lower frequencies. This means that the reference for today’s headphones is a frequency response curve that best imitates a speaker response in a room. For me, this is a highly flawed philosophy as they are two different pieces of kit that present audio in a very different way.

The Dt48s are from an era where this was not the case. They do not attempt to be anything other than close proximity transducers with the highest fidelity. This quality is why I honestly believe they leave all the other headphones I have heard in their trail. That anaemic bass I’ve mentioned is actually more correct than the alternatives. It’s isn’t boosted one bit and is incredibly transparent. It articulates tone and texture of the lower frequencies beautifully and I’m able to discern the body and sound of instruments with ease. The woody element to an acoustic guitar or the texture of the strings is laid bare. This perceived lean character lends to a wickedly fast low end which makes even the planars I’ve heard sound slow in comparison. Have no doubt about this, these headphones are fast and detailed.

That detail however does not come at the expense of a smooth treble response. This headphone cannot be described as harsh. If anything the treble has a slight roll off so no ear bleeding here. However, compared to my incredibly smooth Harbeth 30.2XD speakers I am still able to pick up on the tone of that metal driver. Don’t let this put you off though as I am incredibly sensitive to this. I have an affinity for soft dome tweeters on high end speakers and I always prefer them to air motion tweeters or metal domes. Not to mention I’m comparing the dt48s treble to a speaker rig with an estimated value of 20k sterling.

And now onto the best quality of the dt48s. That midrange. Here, these pair of headphones better every other I’ve heard and by quite a margin. Every recording sounds different with the dt48s because it was recorded and mastered that way. This to me is a clear demonstration of the high fidelity these cans posses. Keep in mind the soundstage is very closed in. The sound is reminiscent of high end Naim gear. Pace, rhythm and timing leads the way and everything else is secondary. In my honest opinion the tone is absolutely neutral but it’s the transparency which leaves me throughly entertained.

However, I truly believe that the focused and transparent tuning of these cans is what will be a problem for many headfi-ers. For most, the visceral bass of many alternatives will be more impressive and the lightning fast bass on the dt48s will never be enough as it considerably less extended; Regardless of the fact that it’s closer in fidelity to my reference speaker rig than any planar or dynamic I’ve heard. I’ve also heard more extended treble from other headphones with the caveat of that metallic sheen that I cannot stand. Then there is the alternative, the dark treble tuning which just sounds wrong to me but is to many peoples liking. In addition to this the dt48s are not comfortable for me. Compared to modern beyers there is a very noticeable difference. This is a very important consideration for many people and I really do feel they may avoid the dt48s for this reason alone.

To conclude then, the beyerdynamic dt48s have a sound that few adore, many despise and most simply will never understand. I believe that they were designed and built in an era that makes them less relevant to many users today. Even so, for me they are the most fun I’ve had with headphones. They are a true high fidelity pair of headphones that give you the most honest rendition of the signal they are fed.

gear used;MacBook Pro (Audirvana plus playback software), Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, Audio Note DAC 2.1x Signature, Eufonika h7 amplifier.

Awesome writeup.

The Dt48s only accentuated my madness. I don't have many headphones nowadays, but I am thankful I kept DT48A, dt480. I have also experimented enough to know the more you spend time with them, the more you go into an alternate universe. I never imagined I would end my journey give or take with these oldies. Mind you my fav is a Sigma, b/c they just look weird as hell. :D

Though I find the DT48A most accurate, I enjoy the 480 200 hhh'ohmer the most. And trying to widen the soundstage and make more bass with these and wood cups has lowered my IQ, and my appearance quasimodo'esque freakazoid.

giphy.gif

...i hope one day i can slap them in them hifiman copy cups, unless i somehow run into the holy grail cups sold as spare parts . :D

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #4,282 of 4,308
Awesome writeup.

The Dt48s only accentuated my madness. I don't have many headphones nowadays, but I am thankful I kept DT48A, dt480. I have also experimented enough to know the more you spend time with them, the more you go into an alternate universe. I never imagined I would end my journey give or take with these oldies. Mind you my fav is a Sigma, b/c they just look weird as hell. :D

Though I find the DT48A most accurate, I enjoy the 480 200 hhh'ohmer the most. And trying to widen the soundstage and make more bass with these and wood cups has lowered my IQ, and my appearance quasimodo'esque freakazoid.

giphy.gif

...i hope one day i can slap them in them hifiman copy cups, unless i somehow run into the holy grail cups sold as spare parts . :D

Thank you. I went through quite a few amplifiers before I collected my thoughts about the dt48s. Luckily I managed to pick up a H7 which was tried and tested. I’m still after an even better amplifier. However, I suspect I’ll need to spend considerably more to improve on the power along with the euphonic character of the H7. Really good match for the dt48 200ohm.

I’ve not heard the 480 as of yet so perhaps I’ll pick up a pair soon. I’m forever tweaking my speaker rig for improvements so I’m always after the ultimate reference within budget, so I think the dt48s will remain with me for a long time. I’ve actually plugged my speaker ports with great success because of the fidelity I heard on the dt48. High praise for a headphone to do that.

I just can’t imagine a manufacturer today being bold enough to design headphones like the dt48. The design goals now would be completely different. Beyerdynamic themselves are a perfect example.

btw I’ve only just realised I’ve been typing dt48s as in D T forty eights. Not D T 48 S. Silly me

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #4,283 of 4,308
Thank you. I went through quite a few amplifiers before I collected my thoughts about the dt48s. Luckily I managed to pick up a H7 which was tried and tested. I’m still after an even better amplifier. However, I suspect I’ll need to spend considerably more to improve on the power along with the euphonic character of the H7. Really good match for the dt48 200ohm.

I’ve not heard the 480 as of yet so perhaps I’ll pick up a pair soon. I’m forever tweaking my speaker rig for improvements so I’m always after the ultimate reference within budget, so I think the dt48s will remain with me for a long time. I’ve actually plugged my speaker ports with great success because of the fidelity I heard on the dt48. High praise for a headphone to do that.

I just can’t imagine a manufacturer today being bold enough to design headphones like the dt48. The design goals now would be completely different. Beyerdynamic themselves are a perfect example.

btw I’ve only just realised I’ve been typing dt48s as in D T forty eights. Not D T 48 S. Silly me

Since you can appreciate the 48 , a 480 surely would teach you many things.
As I've mentioned, I did not mess with the 48A except earpad swaps for fun. (leather pads and such, even alpha pads!) but the modern over ears i've stuck with, sweat and all.

The ones i tinkered was a 25 'ohmer by taking the screw off the back. Once i noticed a change i was like hmmm..

The 480 fan club seems to be even smaller, and after seeing them open in up and seeing the driver without the backplate in a housing and the addition of anti-vibration materials being added,... got more and more curious.

i figured if they can be in a dt480 cup, surely they could be in a wood cup .

At the end its just strange what kind of journey the oldest designed headphone can take you on ending up in wood cups and alpha pads from mr speakers.

giphy.gif

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #4,285 of 4,308
US Navy military surplus!

Presumably they were flight communications headphones...

Who would have been the manufacturer?

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #4,286 of 4,308
I guess they were, in some sense, competitors of the DT48...

Mar 7, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #4,287 of 4,308
I guess they were, in some sense, competitors of the DT48...
I'm not saying you’re wrong since i don't own them, but if you look at the other pictures of the inside on the cup (the perforations that go to the driver and the design of the back/how the headphone mounts to the headband) you can see that they are the exact same design as Grason Stadler audiometers and many other older audiometers. The reason that I would doubt them being ANYWHERE near the DT48 is due to the design of these types of headphones. They have a "large" stiff metal foil diaphragm with a rather small magnet as seen in the pictures, this is in contrast to the DT48's small diaphragm and relatively large magnet. It’s also the same style as the somewhat “Legendary" Elega DR 631c, inside and outside, and from what I’ve heard on discussions focusing on them, they don’t sound all that good, id boil that down to the fact that the metal diaphragm (about as thick as printer paper and quite stiff) is specifically used for accurate and repeatable low-medium frequencies often under 18khz

Attachments

• IMG_20210307_050727.jpg
    IMG_20210307_050727.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210307_050759.jpg
    IMG_20210307_050759.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #4,288 of 4,308
So no point in tracking down a pair, it seems...

Mar 7, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #4,289 of 4,308
So no point in tracking down a pair, it seems...
For the most part, yes, sadly as there are a good few pair out there for a “good” price compared to Dt48’s. They are pretty cool looking though, and I have dabbled with the idea of driver swaps. The main issue is the fact that they are very old and made of plastic that looks to have become brittle over time.

Mar 8, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #4,290 of 4,308
Getting very good results so far:

D297C832-D1D6-44CA-B6CB-1A53F757E540.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back