The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Jan 16, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #4,261 of 4,308
I made my self a faceplate removal tool and opened them up. As well as swapping over the faceplates, I removed two Hessian rings, clearly attempts by the previous owner to damp the cups. Without them, these cans sound even more open.

I can’t, however, understand how anyone could call them bass-light...

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #4,262 of 4,308
I made my self a faceplate removal tool and opened them up. As well as swapping over the faceplates, I removed two Hessian rings, clearly attempts by the previous owner to damp the cups. Without them, these cans sound even more open.

I can’t, however, understand how anyone could call them bass-light...
I guess people are running them from poor amplification and a low quality source. I think these have got to be some of the best sounding headphones on the market. Other headphones sound veiled in comparison. I enjoy the low end very much as it is so defined. But I will say that the dt48 need a powerful amp to bring out the very low impact they have to offer.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #4,264 of 4,308
You don’t think it’s one of these with the old style pads?

2F7BEC3D-4F81-44B5-8A61-A037735CAB1E.jpeg

The single-sided cable could be a modification.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #4,265 of 4,308
If they’re not DT48s, I’d like to know what they are (and add them to the collection...).

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #4,266 of 4,308
I´m not sure but I don´t think they are. I could imagine the headband in the photo above originally belonged to a different headphone. If you see the Post #4,239 by desertsnake, he has these two old DT48 which were very close in production date, and one has the well known old style headband and the other one has this weirdly different headband. I just don´t think they switched to this funky construction and then went back to the simpler looking version. Also, the old style earpads never had this two-tone color style you see in the old picture. The 1950s models pretty much all had the round grey rubber pads, later models had oval black faux leather. Yes, it could all be heavily modded but I have my doubts.

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #4,267 of 4,308
I guess people are running them from poor amplification and a low quality source. I think these have got to be some of the best sounding headphones on the market. Other headphones sound veiled in comparison. I enjoy the low end very much as it is so defined. But I will say that the dt48 need a powerful amp to bring out the very low impact they have to offer.

Could also be seal issues, the bass is very seal-dependent. I don't have the DT 48, but I have the DT 480 which has the same drivers and it's extremely sensitive in terms of seal. But they improve massively on powerful and clean systems. They are capable of outputting the best bass I've heard on a headphone and they make basically everything sound veiled and lacking dynamics and real body in comparison no matter the cost. The imaging and the detail on these is just a different level.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #4,268 of 4,308
I´m not sure but I don´t think they are. I could imagine the headband in the photo above originally belonged to a different headphone. If you see the Post #4,239 by desertsnake, he has these two old DT48 which were very close in production date, and one has the well known old style headband and the other one has this weirdly different headband. I just don´t think they switched to this funky construction and then went back to the simpler looking version. Also, the old style earpads never had this two-tone color style you see in the old picture. The 1950s models pretty much all had the round grey rubber pads, later models had oval black faux leather. Yes, it could all be heavily modded but I have my doubts.
What could they be? They’re not Koss SP/3s...

Jan 16, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #4,269 of 4,308
Could also be seal issues, the bass is very seal-dependent. I don't have the DT 48, but I have the DT 480 which has the same drivers and it's extremely sensitive in terms of seal. But they improve massively on powerful and clean systems. They are capable of outputting the best bass I've heard on a headphone and they make basically everything sound veiled and lacking dynamics and real body in comparison no matter the cost. The imaging and the detail on these is just a different level.
I couldn’t agree more. I vividly remeber my time with the Audeze LCD4. Upon reflection it’s nowhere near as quick or as revealing as the dt48. A dark and warm tilt overall. The final audio d8000 was my favourite headphone prior to the dt48. In some areas I can still see somebody enjoying the final. But for me, the cleanliness of the low end and glorious midrange of the dt48 takes it.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #4,270 of 4,308
Of course, RVG did have a reputation for:
- Being extremely secretive about his gear
- Modifying his gear heavily
- Even building his own gear, when he couldn’t find anything suitable!

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #4,272 of 4,308
It looks like something US military surplus...

But then RVG tended to put his own gear together.

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #4,273 of 4,308
Here are my recently-restored DT48As:

8D9F00B1-6B0C-4332-9AC1-7CA3B61A5EC2.jpeg
0DD49386-B39A-47A2-968A-32F86A1DF1C7.jpeg

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #4,275 of 4,308
At the moment: Audio-gd SA-31. I have ordered a WBA Tzar OTL amp which should (hopefully) ship in February...

86E748F9-E568-44F3-8F61-3FA980E4DC4A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back