The best portable headphone amplifier for Sennheiser HD 800...?
Oct 25, 2010 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Lan647

1000+ Head-Fier
All my searching around the web led to this thread...

I just CAN'T afford both the HD 800, a stand-alone headphone amp AND a portable headphone amp like the fiio E7. 

Let's say this. For start, i will NOT buy an headphone amp like the black cube linnear. 

Give me some examples of GREAT, GREAT portable amps/DAC's under 500 dollars, that truly helps the HD 800 to sing BOTH with my equipment at home, AND with my iphone - LOUD.

Thanks...

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 17
Ray Samuels Audio (RSA) Predator. Brand new is 475. I would also budget at least 100 for a line out cable to connect your iphone to whatever amp you buy.

If you haven't purchased the HD800s already, I would consider something geared more for portable use such as the Ultrasone Edition 8s. The E8s will probably work just fine directly out of your iphone.

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
Ray Samuels Audio (RSA) Predator. Brand new is 475. I would also budget at least 100 for a line out cable to connect your iphone to whatever amp you buy.

If you haven't purchased the HD800s already, I would consider something geared more for portable use such as the Ultrasone Edition 8s. The E8s will probably work just fine directly out of your iphone.

Ultrasone are UG-LY. My other options are: Audio-technica ATH-M50 (as a start), AKG k 701/702 or the Grado PS1000 headphone. Too bad it will TOTALLY ruin me :p

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 17
Lineout cable? Are you talking about the cable you plug between the iphone's headphone-jack to the amp's headphone jack?

100 dollars? Are you kidding me?
smily_headphones1.gif

I would NEVER pay that money for a little cable..

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 17
I know this sounds a little ****ed-up, but let's say i buy the HD 800, but just don't have the money to buy an amp at the same time, can i just buy the Fiio E5 for start?

People says the HD 800 DO work well with the iphone, about for the fact that the volume remains low. For start, i just want something that amplifies the volume without affecting the sound itself. 

Is it possible to just buy the E5 while i'm looking around for better amp's?

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 17
I would look for a used Lisa lll.  They drive the 800s better than any portable and if you can eventually get the LLP power supply to charge the batteries and run it as a plug in that is the way to go for sure.  I have that setup, no other portable comes close in my mind.  It only takes rca input though so you need a mini>rca cable.

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 17
For Dac/Amp: Pico Dac/Amp, Ibasso D12,

For Amp alone: Stepdance, RSA SR71A, RSA Protector, ALO Rx "Prescription" MK2, Ibasso Bloomslang/Toucan,

My personal preference: Stepdance or the Ibasso Bloomslang/Toucan.

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 17
How are you going to go portable with a HD-800?  They're a bit large and gawky around the house; you aren't planning to wear them in public, are you?

If you listening is going to be done at home, go with a desktop amp and skip the portable.  Besides, the HD-800 is much happier with a set of tubes.

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
How are you going to go portable with a HD-800?  They're a bit large and gawky around the house; you aren't planning to wear them in public, are you?

If you listening is going to be done at home, go with a desktop amp and skip the portable.  Besides, the HD-800 is much happier with a set of tubes.

+1
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
People says the HD 800 DO work well with the iphone, about for the fact that the volume remains low. For start, i just want something that amplifies the volume without affecting the sound itself. 

Remains low?  I thought the iphone got louder than I'd want to listen to with the HD800, it just sounded bad.

I think the whole idea of this should be transportable and not portable, as I don't know how portable an HD800 is going to be, as you will be dragging a 10 ft cable along, hearing everything around you, everyone around you hearing what you're listening to. 

Oct 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 17
Your budget is ~1900 (HD800-$1400, Amp-$500)

Skip the HD800s. Get one of your other headphone choices and you'll have more than enough left over to buy a desktop amp a portable amp and every interconnect you'll ever need. Probably end up with better sound and some money in your wallet by the time your done. Powering HD800s off a Fiio is like buying a Ferrari and then trying to operate it on used vegetable oil.

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
Your budget is ~1900 (HD800-$1400, Amp-$500)

Skip the HD800s. Get one of your other headphone choices and you'll have more than enough left over to buy a desktop amp a portable amp and every interconnect you'll ever need. Probably end up with better sound and some money in your wallet by the time your done. Powering HD800s off a Fiio is like buying a Ferrari and then trying to operate it on used vegetable oil.

LOL

Quote:

The listening would be 80% at home, 20% portable. The portable use is in the school, and in school i don't move around much...

A set of tubes?? I'm sorry but.... what is that?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
I would look for a used Lisa lll.  They drive the 800s better than any portable and if you can eventually get the LLP power supply to charge the batteries and run it as a plug in that is the way to go for sure.  I have that setup, no other portable comes close in my mind.  It only takes rca input though so you need a mini>rca cable.

I'll look into it. 

To answer ALL of you, i will decide wether to buy the HD 800 when i've listened to them properly next week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back