The BEST Portable Gear COMBO
Feb 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #32 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard iriver/D10 combo, but judging from Sasaki's take on it, I got the impression that it's not exactly a world beater. It seems that without rolling op-amps and bypassing buffers, D10's amp is underpowered and doesn't tap the full potential of the DAC... and even with op-amp rolling, I doubt you can fundamentally change how it sounds? I'll wait for his further impressions...

The D10, with the iriver's optical out in play is IMO fantastic. It holds it's own with respected amps...and of the ones I've heard, the only one that seems to trounce it soundly is the original SR71.

Also, I think an H120/D10 with a short optical U-cable still fits in the category of what most folks would call portable.

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #34 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonicpath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a stupid question. If I use H140 optical out then the rockbox EQ won't be effective. right?

I don't think you can EQ SPDIF out.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Just a stupid question. If I use H140 optical out then the rockbox EQ won't be effective. right?

thats an interseting question. that depends I actually would thionk you would. I can use rockbox EQ with ipod lineout. as I think the processing is done pre dac stage when its being decoded.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #38 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats an interseting question. that depends I actually would thionk you would. I can use rockbox EQ with ipod lineout. as I think the processing is done pre dac stage when its being decoded.

You have to apply the eq before you digitize the analog signal. So if you can eq it, the signal is already in analog.

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #39 of 64
Quote:

I've done my research now, I want to put up an Ideally best portable gear setup see If anybody agrees

COMBO 1 ---will cost around 900+ USD

Source component: iHP-140 rockboxed with 120HD MOD
Portable HeadAMP: iBasso D10
Headphone(no custom): Westone 3, Shure SE530, IE8, UE 10pro.

COMBO 2----will cost around 750+ USD

Source component: Ipod 5.5MOD rockboxed
Portable HeadAMP: P51
Headphone(no custom): Westone 3, Shure SE530, IE8, UE 10pro.

See if anyone have any better setup for now
smily_headphones1.gif

I have both (except the P-51 is a Predator and/or Pico, and I didn't rockbox the iMod but I did rockbox the iRiver). Not sure where you got the iMod prices. I already had a $250 iPod + $250 iMod labor + $180 LOD which is $680 before the amp. Change the $180 LOD to $550 for a portable Vcap dock with nice "cryo silver x" or SXC or piccolino cables. Now you're over $1000 before an amp.

The optical rig gets used in my bedside for music when I go to bed, and the iMod gets used portable mostly because my iMod has 2x the storage and has TV shows and movies to keep me entertained as well. I would say that without the iMod vCap dock the optical iRiver/D10 rig has the edge in sound, as the D10 is a top notch DAC and Amp. With the vCap dock the iMod can now keep up, but it becomes a 3-brick rig (iMod, Vcaps, amp) that is bulky and much less portable and more costly (also needs both a high quality LOD and a mini-mini for the Vcap dock).

I need someone who can put an 80gb or 120gb drive in my iRiver. But, the iRivers are easy to kill with the wrong charger or just back luck, so it's possible that it will never power up again after the hard drive mod. Oh well...

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #40 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need someone who can put an 80gb or 120gb drive in my iRiver. But, the iRivers are easy to kill with the wrong charger or just back luck, so it's possible that it will never power up again after the hard drive mod. Oh well...

I'd recommend a cf card adaptation or even a cf to sdhc adaptation IF you are in no desperate need for more storage right now as ssd prices are dropping all the time.

Im waiting till 64 gig cards drop to roughly the price 32 is at the moment and ill be making the switch.

Although, with literally ten minutes of your time and the right screwdrivers you could change the hdd yourself. Wap the back off, move the battery and take out the hdd and replace...As you have rockbox already installed its job done.

Whats the issue with yours not turning on again? Have you used the wrong charger?

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #41 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend a cf card adaptation or even a cf to sdhc adaptation IF you are in no desperate need for more storage right now as ssd prices are dropping all the time.

Im waiting till 64 gig cards drop to roughly the price 32 is at the moment and ill be making the switch.

Although, with literally ten minutes of your time and the right screwdrivers you could change the hdd yourself. Wap the back off, move the battery and take out the hdd and replace...As you have rockbox already installed its job done.

Whats the issue with yours not turning on again? Have you used the wrong charger?

No, but it is a very frequent mishap, and I did have one die by plugging it into the right charger.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, but it is a very frequent mishap, and I did have one die by plugging it into the right charger.

true enough, and you had one die by plugging it into the RIGHT charger?

Are you sure its fried and not just the battery that has gone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back