The BEST Portable Gear COMBO
Feb 10, 2009 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Sonicpath

100+ Head-Fier
I've done my research now, I want to put up an Ideally best portable gear setup see If anybody agrees

COMBO 1 ---will cost around 900+ USD

Source component: iHP-140 rockboxed with 120HD MOD
Portable HeadAMP: iBasso D10
Headphone(no custom): Westone 3, Shure SE530, IE8, UE 10pro.

COMBO 2----will cost around 1000+ USD

Source component: Ipod 5.5MOD rockboxed + VCAP
Portable HeadAMP: P51

COMBO 3----will cost around 1100+ USD

Portable HeadAMP: Pre-AMP(iBasso D10) + any other AMPs

See if anyone have any better setup for now
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 64
It depends if you use the optical input?
Also do you need a DAC which the P51 does not have....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonicpath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done my research now I want to put up an Ideally best portable gear setup see If any body agrees

COMBO 1

COMBO 2

Source component: Ipod 5.5MOD rockboxed

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 64
Option 1 is what I have, sans Ibasso 10DAC. Normally I would totally dismiss Ipod, but since it's Rockboxed then on even turf. It then comes down to size, connectivity and actual features of the DAP (ie remote, FM tuner & Mic on iriver) But the iriver has optical out, cost no expense you could use it with high end DAC (full size) or portable (Ibasso)

With the ipod you will always be limited to the analogue section, it can't be equal to a quality DAC. Plus you will have a far lower noise floor.

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends if you use the optical input?
Also do you need a DAC which the P51 does not have....

iHP-140 or 120 is the only one that I can think of to get Optical out/in plus it can be rockboxed to play any types of music formats. hardly to find one anymore
smily_headphones1.gif
especially when the D10 came up. I will be very interested to see the comparing review with all other portable headAMPs.

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 64
ahhhhh I see, sorry Paulybatz, I thought the op was getting both rigs, didn't realise it was a toss up between the two.

In that case, also add vcap dock to the imod as without it still isnt at its best.

if you wait till my d10 arrives I will post some impressions between the two rigs, but I am pretty sure others have them already and could post their impressions.

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 64
i have the IE8s and the P-51 amp. It sounds pretty amazing. I don't, however, have my ipod imodded. Any suggestions on if its worth the cost? the rest of my setup is high end, so it seems like my player is all that could be holding it back.

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonicpath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done my research now I want to put up an Ideally best portable gear setup see If any body agrees

COMBO 1 ---will cost around 900+ USD

COMBO 2----will cost around 750+ USD

Source component: Ipod 5.5MOD rockboxed

smily_headphones1.gif

for the 'best' portable rig you are looking at much more than those numbers. for instance, I have about $2400 in mine and I made a lot of it myself so we are talking just parts for the dock and cables in that total. that also includes the LLP for my lisa III too. thats for one working rig, not the total of my portable gear. Includes 1 DIYMOD (120gb) rockboxed, one uber VCAP dock with teflon VCAP bypass and cables to match, lisa III XP with LLP and westone 3 with UM56 custom tips.
the rigs you list; are really great though and either will sound fantastic, but chances are it will not end there
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #13 of 64
the biggest advantage for the D10 is DAC+AMP+OPTICAL. in the current portable AMPs, that is the only one jumps out of the picture. I think D10 is just another starting point to switch the focusing point from AMP to the source. unfortunately for the mainstream mp3 players there is not alot of players have the OPTICAL OUT. so it might defeat the purpose to being PORTABLE. I can see the HP140/120 will be highly demanding down the road. hopefully Iriver can bring back the killer again for all HIFI Lovers.

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 64
absolutely; I read they released another batch of the HP120 last year, but only the HP120 instead of bring out something new; so I wouldnt count on them becoming that rare really, I cant see the current demand going unnoticed by them unless they are supremely stupid

plus the D10, while havoing from all reports a pretty fine amp section, is bettered by numbers of amps, so if you really want supreme sound then using it primarily as a portable dac is the way top go and adding a separate amp on top. the gamma1 portable dac by AMB is just that, a portable dac with USB, coax and optical in. just needs to be modded to accept battery power instead of just USB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back