The BEST Portable Gear COMBO
Feb 11, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #16 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you're looking at three things, I think it's not a "portable" system. In fact I'd say even two isn't.

There's already been a healthy debate on this in other threads. That's very debatable, what a 'portable' system is. If people carry around 2 or 3 components ably and comfortably, isn't that 'portable'? Meets the requirement of 'portability' in the truest sense of the word if one carries it around, no?

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #17 of 64
portable to some means that it fits in a backpack, suitcase, etc... portable to others mean it fits in the pocket only. i tend to side with the first.

but back on topic, op, you sure you don't wanna give custom IEM's some consideration? i've tried a couple universal IEM's and my UE-10 beats the crap out of them.

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
portable to some means that it fits in a backpack, suitcase, etc... portable to others mean it fits in the pocket only. i tend to side with the first.

but back on topic, op, you sure you don't wanna give custom IEM's some consideration? i've tried a couple universal IEM's and my UE-10 beats the crap out of them.

You just wanna to poison me
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't think custom is worth the money, for the price increase 60%, I will like the sound quality will match the increase. but non of them have 60% improvement. I love HIFI but I'm not stupid. Just trying to get the balance here.

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #19 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif

for me PORTABLE means something that will fit in the pocket. If Ipod's size is too big to be fit in a pocket then Apple won't use the term as portable anymore. the industry standard for a portable player is the width of a Jean's pocket. personally I won't carry a bag for playing mp3s
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #20 of 64
If you've got a car, then you could say a generator, CD transport, DAC, pre-amp, poweramp and Hi-Fi speakers are portable.
biggrin.gif

DAP + headphone amp is just about acceptable as portable system but another for DAC is pushing it. Talking a few inches deep at this point.

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #21 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonicpath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for me PORTABLE means something that will fit in the pocket. If Ipod's size is too big to be fit in a pocket then Apple won't use the term as portable anymore. the industry standard for a portable player is the width of a Jean's pocket. personally I won't carry a bag for playing mp3s
smily_headphones1.gif

people don't usually carry a bag for playing mp3's.

people usually carry a bag for other purposes which makes it possible to employ these bigger and better quality and better sounding rigs.

Have space, will use it.

Although how you can argue with the definition of portability I have no idea.

Pocketable, does not encapsulate portable in its entirety

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although how you can argue with the definition of portability I have no idea.

Pocketable, does not encapsulate portable in its entirety

My point precisely, thanks dazzer. Not to mention that iMod/VCap/portable amp fits in the pocket of my jackets comfortably, so at least seasonally, the rig's also pocketable.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #23 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you're looking at three things, I think it's not a "portable" system. In fact I'd say even two isn't.

this argument is getting SOOOOOO old and tired; portable is whatever someone is willing to PORT around. as long as it can be powered without the need for a wall socket, then its portable.

what about portable toilets (ie: portaloo)?? I cant see you fitting one of them in your pocket
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #24 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about portable toilets (ie: portaloo)?? I cant see you fitting one of them in your pocket
tongue.gif

This is definately the best argument i've seen on this.

My ipod+amp doesnt fit in my trouser pockets, or even my coat pockets. But it does fit very nicely into my messenger style bag with the headphone cable having plenty of length to get to my ears. Its still perfectly portable, and in some ways more comfortable as its one less item in my pockets.

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #25 of 64
come on guys we are off the target here, this topic is about the best portable gear, not the definition about portable. currently I see people agrees on the first COMBO. the second one versus the first is lack of the DAC function. so does it mean Iriver H120/140 and D10 win overall? any other possibility?

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #26 of 64
I haven't heard iriver/D10 combo, but judging from Sasaki's take on it, I got the impression that it's not exactly a world beater. It seems that without rolling op-amps and bypassing buffers, D10's amp is underpowered and doesn't tap the full potential of the DAC... and even with op-amp rolling, I doubt you can fundamentally change how it sounds? I'll wait for his further impressions...

I don't know what chipset D10 uses but iPod 5G uses a Wolfson chip that is also used in a lot of high-end sources. Plus iMod lets you couple the Wolfson DAC with the oil-impregnated VCap and I'm willing to bet that's more of a hi-fi solution than the D10 chipset. I'd take Wolfson + OIMP VCap any time over the standard chipset in a portable DAC, but that's only based on what I know. We all have different preferences...

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #28 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard iriver/D10 combo, but judging from Sasaki's take on it, I got the impression that it's not exactly a world beater. It seems that without rolling op-amps and bypassing buffers, D10's amp is underpowered and doesn't tap the full potential of the DAC... and even with op-amp rolling, I doubt you can fundamentally change how it sounds? I'll wait for his further impressions...

I don't know what chipset D10 uses but iPod 5G uses a Wolfson chip that is also used in a lot of high-end sources. Plus iMod lets you couple the Wolfson DAC with the oil-impregnated VCap and I'm willing to bet that's more of a hi-fi solution than the D10 chipset. I'd take Wolfson + OIMP VCap any time over the standard chipset in a portable DAC, but that's only based on what I know. We all have different preferences...

Money+size+sound, which one is better? you know the answer.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #29 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sw33t.Shuga.Ray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I carry this manbag with my amp player...ppl say I look macho
now thats fashion+portability

in terms of fashion, I don't know how good looking you are, I don't think a bag will make you look Macho. but it will be interesting to see the face of a passenger which sit next to you in the subway, when you take your gear out of your bag and trying to switch a track. in that case I think the H120/H140 wins cuz it has a remote
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back