The Best Headphones Under 400$ ? (1964-Duals Review)
Feb 18, 2011 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Sil3nce

Lives in Liebesträume No. 3
Hello.
I've promised you guys a very thorough and detailed review and I will take what brief time I have today to just reserve this spot.
Anyone interested in asking me a general question or on the 1964-D's can feel free to pm me.
Simply put, these are the best headphones/iems that I've heard for every genre of music under 400 dollars. Not including source, amps, converters, etc. But I can tell you that a woo audio amp + hd650/600 is inferior to these in various areas. And they are so much more musical then my sr404 le electrostatic setup.

"I have received my customs.
First Impressions:

Pros-
True spatial perception and pin-point positioning/accuracy
Most realistic timbre with no deviation from the recording
Unearthly accurate treble that is not emphasized with sparkle and pop/fizz but is lucid and crisp.
Sub-bass quality
Speed
Transparency

Cons-

Bass Impact is slightly lacking for more demanding bassheads

Not very exciting or energizing but definitely an improvement over dull analytical iems

Considering ive had the duals for over a month by now. Have to keep it short for now as im on my phone. The soundstage is not noticeably expansive or does not give a perceivable depth such as cert...ain dynamic universals do but it is a holistic presentation with the most natural balance ive heard of any iem. Instrument separation straight out of a sansa clip is on par with higher end electrostatic systems. Its amazing how well the duals do for classical or rock music. The mids are definitely not fluid or anything like the se530 which is usually typical of colored iems with a lower end emphasis. However the mids are incredibly upfront and vocals sound completely natural. But when you want them to be romantic and lush they do the job adequately. Treble sparkle can be eq'ed to sparkle even more than tf10s with the silicone tips. Treble is noticeably balanced with the flat setting with perhaps with a little more excitement with every cymbal clash or ring. Like previously mentioned bass is enough and both extension and impact are adequate. Overall plug these into a decent dap and youll be surprised.

Update:
5/10/11

I must apologize for my lack of attention to this particular thread. Just that I haven't been on the forum much recently due to personal issues.
The only time I have access to a computer is during school and sadly much of the time has been spent finishing up work.
When I get home, I'll put up my initial thoughts and what has since changed, as well as organize everything into one single review.
Thanks for your patience.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 32

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 32
Congrats @ Sil3nce and I'm glad you're enjoying them man!!

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 32

Quote:
Congrats @ Sil3nce and I'm glad you're enjoying them man!!

Thanks so much.
Will have a review on the way.
I don't think people believe me that dual armatures are enough.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 32
can you compare the bass to other IEM's like a w3?
and how does the cord compare to the westone cord?  is it more rigid?
very interested in these
thanks for the info :)

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 32
The cord is pretty much the same as the Westone cord. It is in no way rigid.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 32
popcorn.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 32

Quote:
can you compare the bass to other IEM's like a w3?
and how does the cord compare to the westone cord?  is it more rigid?
very interested in these
thanks for the info :)

It's very similar but a bit different. The biggest difference is the plastic tubing by the pins and where the memory wire is a bit longer on the 1964 Ears cable. The chin slider is a bit more resistant on the 1964 Ears but it may loosen a bit over time. Other than that it's basically the same.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #12 of 32

Quote:
Certain dual drivers actually have tended to sound more coherent than triple drivers to me, in my experience. 

I certainly like the SM2 over the SM3, so I agree with you @ Inks...

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #14 of 32

Quote:
Build Quality was rushed and bore leading from the high armature outwards looks recessed and is if corroded. Also lots of dents and scratches on faceplate.

Wow, is the quality really that bad.. Did you ask for a rush build for $75?

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #15 of 32
So the recessed bore is on the right unit? I had already given up on having 1964 Ears rectify that part since I had noticed that on a pair of JH16 as well. However, I don't see any dents or scratches on the face plate, there are some on other parts though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back