The best headphones in the world
Mar 5, 2014 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

nirki98

New Head-Fier
What do you think are the best headphones in the world?

lets choose the best headphones ever made and that are good for the most things we expect from headphones right now!

then what is the best for you? 
beerchug.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 30
I still think beets bye dre r the best sound most swag style.  

Not everyone likes the same sound signature, but the majority of people are going to say some Stax model (probably SR007 or 009) or Sennheiser Orpheus.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 30
Magnums are the best headphones I've ever heard. I know of a few people who view them as TOTL. I know not everyone shares that opinion, but they are pretty damn amazing! 

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 30

Dem.....are solid gowd.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 30
David Mahler had like the best ever headphone ranking thread, the best ever bro! Just Saiyan

*No order*
Stax 009
Sennheiser Orpheus
Sony R10
Taket H2
Stax SR Omega
Stax 007 MK1
Sennheiser Baby Orpheus
AKG K1000
JPS Abyss
Sennheiser HD800
Grado HP1000
Grado PS1
Audio Technica L3000 "Leatherhead"
Audeze LCD3
Hifiman HE-6
Sony Qualia

Are the cream of the crop that I'm aware of. I've probably overlooked a few.

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 30
if the hd800 is among the best, i am quite disappointed, because i found them not that much ahead of the k701.

besides this, i would say "best" can only aim at technical abilitys. if so i would consider uerm or some of the other high end custom iems, as their Details, separation, Imaging and precision is unmatched by fullsize in my books.

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 30
Safe to say that best Stax and Sennheiser electrostatics would best the Logitech IEM in most of those categories. Not sure about how good they are though that IEM.

The HD800 is considered by a large number of people to be the benchmark for Dynamic headphones today and the current king of the hill. Many disagree as well but it is regarded as one of the best non electrostatics in the world alongside the LCD3/X and Hifiman HE-6.

I prefer the HD600 to the K701 and find the HD800 vastly superior to the HD600 overall. Some might see it differently like yourself. Diminishing returns do kick in over the course of the journey upward in price and for some the differences might not be big enough to justify the hype or price.

Likewise I think it is unwise to ever come to an overall conclusion about a headphones absolute limits and quality without living with it long enough to fully get used to its sound signature and sonic properties because the brain takes time to adjust itself. Auditions are not very reliable in my experience. I've been unimpressed before by something, borrowed it for a week and changed my tune after delving into it more.

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 30
if the hd800 is among the best, i am quite disappointed, because i found them not that much ahead of the k701.

besides this, i would say "best" can only aim at technical abilitys. if so i would consider uerm or some of the other high end custom iems, as their Details, separation, Imaging and precision is unmatched by fullsize in my books.

Diminishing returns...

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 30
This means that you will hear a big difference in sound quality going from an entry level headphone to something like the K701, but the difference will not be that great going from the K701 to TOTL models.  People spend lots of money trying to squeeze that last bit of SQ from their equipment.  Is it worth it and is it really noticeable?  Only your ears can help you here.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #12 of 30
Diminishing returns means that the differences are so subtle that a doubling of the price only increases performance by a few percent. The idiom applies to almost everything.

in my career i design computer systems (including from chipsets to software) and in my industry diminishing returns generally means that the last 10% of additional performance represents 90% of the cost of the system (my work is in enterprise class computer systems used by very large corporations).

personally i think that Stax SE-307 classic sounds better than the more expensive stax offerings. its by far my favorite!

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 30
thanks, in iem world it is the same. differences from about 150$ up to about 500$ are subdued. but when you reach customs starting at 1000$ there is a hughe step up noticable. i had high hopes that in fullsize world this could be expected also

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #14 of 30
The best headphone in the world shouldn't be determined by sound alone. But also on comfort, easy to drive, non-fatiguing, and so on .... 

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 30
The best headphones in the world:

- always play the music that I like the best at every moment
- sound the same (perfect) no matter which which DAC/amp I power them
- are so light,my hat I don't feel them
- are open when they need to and closed, when I want to
- are made in Germany (just because)

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back