The Best Gaming Headphones?! =) UNDER ~500 DOLLARS (incl source/amp(if necessary))
Sep 19, 2010 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

jonnieos

New Head-Fier
On the search for the best gaming headphones. Cans that will practically let me play with my eyes closed. So far the best soundstage/gaming performance pair I've seen is the ATH-AD900. If there's anything better (maybe it could end up being cheaper too who knows), please post it. Please make sure that when you are explaining what the best headphone is, (and if it's one that needs a specialized DAC/AMP then please make sure you recommend the most sensibly priced ones that will go along well with the headphones). So far I've been thinking that the ATH-AD900 paired with an Auzentech Forte Soundcard for PC, and an Earforce DSS (or Astro Mixamp) - via optical out for my Xbox 360. Would be the smartest solution. Please tell me if there's any headphones that would be noticeably better for gaming, and what should be paired with them to get the sound they're capable of.

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 37
Mixamp is great for the price.  I don't know about their ability to be a true headphone "amp," but it is nice to have a bunch of different input options and volume controls. 

As far as headphones go... I wouldn't pair the Mixamp with the Astro A40s or A30s.  They are decently priced, but they distort easily from my experience, and the sound quality just isn't there for the price.  However, the detachable mic boom is a plus, and they are very comfortable.

I'm not making any recommendations as I don't have much experience with audiophile-quality headphones and gaming, but I just know that you should stay away from the A40s or A30s if you're looking for great sound quality.

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 37
Ultrasone Pro 900s were surprisingly very good for gaming. I used to play COD a lot and I could hear people planting/defusing bombs and clicking off their UAVs from the opposite side of the map. Positioning was also amazing and I felt the sound stage was much better defined than with AD700s. FWIR, DT 880s are also very good for gaming.

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 37
So far the best cans I've heard for gaming have been the AD2000 and K701. I've tried the DT770/80, DT990/250, W1000, Pro 650, and Pro 750 among others.

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 37
I have tried a few headphones for gaming. Other than Grado's of course, I have tried: K701, K1000, AD700, DT880, ALO-780 and D5000. AD700 are still my favourite. ALO-780 were fantastic for Single Player games, but lacked position and soundstaging for serious online gaming (FPS, obviously). 

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 37

Quote:
I have tried a few headphones for gaming. Other than Grado's of course, I have tried: K701, K1000, AD700, DT880, ALO-780 and D5000. AD700 are still my favourite. ALO-780 were fantastic for Single Player games, but lacked position and soundstaging for serious online gaming (FPS, obviously). 

So would the AD900 be upgrades from the AD700 or would they lack anything from their predecessor?!

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 37
AD900 have more bass apparently, but they aren't as good for gaming fwir. Their positioning and/or soundstaging is poorer for games (remember reading this a while back).

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 37

Quote:
AD900 have more bass apparently, but they aren't as good for gaming fwir. Their positioning and/or soundstaging is poorer for games (remember reading this a while back).

WINNER lol we have a winner. If this is true you saved me some serious cash, I'll be looking into this. (It definitely makes sense because I haven't seen a pair of, (none headset), headphones recommended more for gaming then the ad700). Wow would it feel good to pay less and get more.

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 37

Quote:
Ultrasone Pro 900s were surprisingly very good for gaming. I used to play COD a lot and I could hear people planting/defusing bombs and clicking off their UAVs from the opposite side of the map. Positioning was also amazing and I felt the sound stage was much better defined than with AD700s. FWIR, DT 880s are also very good for gaming.

That is true for dynamics. The AD900 has rather flat pads. If you decide on it, be aware that your ears might touch the drivers. The Ultra 900s are pretty nice headphones.

Stax Lambdas are the best headphones for gaming under $1000. They have not only directional sound but distance is uncannily accurate. You can get a setup for around $4-500 with Stax, amp and soundcard if you buy used.

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 37

Quote:
That is true for dynamics. The AD900 has rather flat pads. If you decide on it, be aware that your ears might touch the drivers. The Ultra 900s are pretty nice headphones.

Stax Lambdas are the best headphones for gaming under $1000. They have not only directional sound but distance is uncannily accurate. You can get a setup for around $4-500 with Stax, amp and soundcard if you buy used.

Nice they sound pretty sick, just having an issue finding them in google shopping/ebay. I'm searching under "Stax Lambda" and by the way what is a good amp for it?

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 37
a 32Ohm DT880 would be perfect for you. They have great imaging and soundstaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back