THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
May 25, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #466 of 5,014
Quote:

christina perri is really good

Now before I post this please try and keep an open mind 
biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MCZ9odBAFw

Still would agree the original is more emotional but damn this girl can definitely sing, look up some of her other songs, truly impressive.

May 31, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #467 of 5,014

THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)

My mind suddenly races across Singing Eras, Genres, Sub Categories and Time Zones. And realize, my list of Best Female Vocals/favorite female singers would be as long as Crenshaw Blvd (L.A.). For starters, what we would find if we followed a young Ella Fitzgerald up through her prime? A whole lotta magic!!! And then there's Sassy (Sarah Vaughn), Bille Holiday, Dinah Washington - loved all of 'em!

A few moons later, the likes of Aretha Franklin, Candi Staton, Phyllis Hyman, Angela Bofill lurk in my heart of favs, and others. However, to keep it short & sweet, I'll nominate from only the past 10-15 years.

Busi Mhlongo (South Africa), without a doubt - best female vocals! Sadly, she passed away from Breast Cancer,10 June 2010, during the World Cup (R.I.P.) Also drawing from the last 10 years, behind Busi Mhlongo would be Actress/Singer Karen Mok (Hong Kong) - a fun and entertaining favorite. Can listen to her for hours! Both nominees, actually...

May 31, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #468 of 5,014
Every time I turn on Cara Dillon's Hill of Thieves album, I'm always struck at how pure her voice is and how well it's recorded.  If you like Celtic-type vocals, she's a bit of a change from the likes of Karan Casey and Maire Brennan.  Beautiful stuff.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #469 of 5,014
32 pages of female vocals and nobody has mentioned Skin from Skunk Anansie? Probably best known for songs like Brazen (Weep):

I saw them perform live and her voice is a force of nature. Hands down the most amazing, mindblowing live experience I've ever had. The sheer range of her talent, her ability to go from the fragile, hurt, little girl to sounding like a vocal tsunami during the course of a single song is nothing short of breathtaking. And while doing this, she is running all over the place. At the concert I saw in Copenhagen, during their performance of "Twisted (Everyday Hurts)", she climbed the speaker tower on the right side of the stage and jumped from the top of the speaker tower to the balcony, climbed onto the balcony and performed the rest of the song while running in and out among the audience. The song "Weak" was performed while she was standing ON the audience. She simply walked from the stage and onto the hands and shoulders of the crowd, continued walking about 10 feet out from the stage and then just stood there, held up by the fans, while singing the rest of the song. 

Logically, Youtube absolutely shatters her voice, but here's a decent clip of a rare acoustic performance in a Danish tv show:

Get your hands on their latest album "Wonderlustre" and get the Tour Edition - There's an extra cd with 6 acoustic performances, including a version of "Because of you" that I wish I could legally share with you guys somehow...

Edit: Skunk Anansie should get in touch with Chesky Records and do a binaural recording of an acoustic album. I'd pay A LOT for 24/96 flac files of that... On their albums you can actually hear how she is limited by the CD format. Check out "Infidelity (Only You)" from the Stoosh album and you'll hear what I mean.

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #470 of 5,014
Great call Sorensiim!

Listening to SA right now.  You're right - she has a dynamic vocal range.  Gotta see where I can get her CD's now (in NZ).  On my shopping list.  Thanks again!

Quote:
32 pages of female vocals and nobody has mentioned Skin from Skunk Anansie? 

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #472 of 5,014

Quote:
Every time I turn on Cara Dillon's Hill of Thieves album, I'm always struck at how pure her voice is and how well it's recorded.  If you like Celtic-type vocals, she's a bit of a change from the likes of Karan Casey and Maire Brennan.  Beautiful stuff.

I agree. I've become addicted to Cara's pristine voice. So clear and beautiful listening with Beyer T1.

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #476 of 5,014
Jun 16, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #478 of 5,014

Quote:
^ NP. Try this as well.

[size=1.8333em] Aimee Allen - Change in the weather[/size]

Listening now - great voice.  Will have to explore some of her other stuff as well.  This is a great thread for discovering new talent.  Here's some Kiwi for you (oldie but a goodie).  Bic Runga - great song from  my youth - "Sway".

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #479 of 5,014
The Aimme Allen was a bit different from the other here's something even more similar.

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #480 of 5,014
Ah - Morcheeba - yup, very good.  I have their "Parts Of The Process" album - really nice for just kicking back and chilling out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back