THE best female vocals? (your favorite female singers)
May 5, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #436 of 5,009
Quote:
Marketa is an amazing artist! I absolutely love her and Glen Hansard as the Swell Season.

I saw her in the streets of Dublin in December 09 and couldn't believe myself at first but then chased her and asked for an autograph (on her CD which I had with me). She wore the same gypsy clothes as the one you see in the movie "Once"! Unfortunately she was late for a sound check for a gig that night so she asked for my name and promised to give my friend (ex?) and I two complimentary tickets to see the gig. I regretted not walking her to the Vicar St. (where the gig was), then I could've gotten some photos and autograph with the entire Swell Season band. But I was speechless and awestruck when I met her I couldn't say a word and let her go off.

We went to Vicar St. that night, hoping that she didn't forget my name or break her promise, but sure enough as gracious as she truly is we were on her guest list. Can you imagine how proud I was at that time? Haha. So I got in and saw Marketa and Glen perform live just a few feet away from me! That was truly an unforgettable night 
smile.gif

She is probably my favourite female singer after Priscilla Ahn.

Wow. 

What a life-changing experience.
I suppose she wasn't surrounded by cameras, what i find really great (for the artist).

And did u get the complimentary tickets?

May 6, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #439 of 5,009
Yeah, at the ticket booth we simply mentioned Marketa's name and the lady behind the booth checked her list to find our name there. Then she issued us two tickets compliments of Marketa! 
normal_smile .gif

She wasn't surrounded by paparazzi or fans or anybody at all! She just looked like a normal lady carrying her groceries in plastic bag. My friend and I were the only one in the busy Grafton street who noticed her! Yeah and that's what I love about her. She's just an ordinary person like you and I, singing about life, love and their hardships.

May 6, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #440 of 5,009
For me personally it is a horrifying idea to be surrounded by paparazzi 24h and not being able to leave the house without bodyguards.

It is in some way comforting to know that there are still artists and bands out there which have not yet been recruited by the big (mainstream) labels (UMG, SMG, etc.). Marketa and Glen is a very good example of this.

Sorry that this is a bit of topic.

May 11, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #443 of 5,009

Quote:
Currently?

Lia Ices - ("Daphne," specifically.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyMTeEtctkk

this was based on my previous love, Joanna Newsom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Greq05zAS9g

Thank you! I wasn't aware of Lia Ices, turns out I really like her album. :)

May 11, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #444 of 5,009

Quote:
Hmm.. no mention at all of Scout Niblett? Didn't think she was that rare. Thanks to zenpunk for introducing me to her at the recent London meet! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow... thank you for this... how come I haven't listened to her yet? I'm a big fan of Will Oldham, and this song is just amazing!

-- thiago

May 11, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #445 of 5,009
Now for some recommendations...

Been listening to Emily Haines a lot:

Now what about Teresa Salgueiro, originally from the Portuguese group Madredeus? She's one of my all-time favorites:

Enjoy!

-- thiago

May 16, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #449 of 5,009

Users who are viewing this thread

Back