The Best Ever Headphone / IEM shop in Seoul, South Korea
Mar 12, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #31 of 57
Quote:
another great shop to go to is smartaudio.
its changed name and location, and ive never been to the new one.
the old one was better than headphoneshop imo,
and the new one seems to be even better.

has top notch headphones, and especially has the more expensive iems not found in headphoneshop,
such as the ie800 and ultrasone iq.

http://www.schezade.co.kr/board/notice/board_view.html?no=224&s_key=&s_field=&category=&page=1

there wasnt any customs at the old one, and not sure if they have any in the new one

If you're talking to me thanks, hmm still, the cans that aren't in korea aren't in korea it seems (there either) but I knew that already I guess.  It's not unusual for many types of products (audio and otherwise) to have models and brands conspicuously missing from the entire country.  Fortunately some amazon stores ship internationally but that doesn't help with trial.  Anyway, this conversation is a little odd.  

Edit: even worse for headphones... those guys don't seem to have KRK or beyerdynamics or Fischer Audio or the ATH-M50, on top of also not having the UE headphones (just iems like everywhere) or the KOSS PRODJ100 or any fostex under $2,000.  That's most of the entry level sealed over ear cans in the head-fi buying guide that they don't have, and going up in price they are even missing the Sennheiser momentum.  Of the one's I care, they just have the shure's and the akg.  For my purposes at least that place is almost completely useless if their online listings are accurate. I'm often underwhelmed by the real selection and prices in the big tech stores here though.

On the other hand popularity has a bunch to do with the written experience and trials of a few, and availability even.  There are a ton of ATH models there that are barely reviewed and not measured on in English sites like here and innerfidelity, like the ATH-A500Xto pick one at random, almost no attention over here but the one little review here is positive and now I see it seems to be an asian product market item.  Even on amazon it ships from Japanese stores.  So maybe Koreans know what models are good in Korea then.  Still that works out difficult for a foreigner unless you want to start from square one with nothing but your ears to narrow down the options.  Also if there's market segmentation you have to wonder why.  Prices are rarely cheaper here in Korea.  The ATH-A900X is listed at about $310 U.S. for instance at that store ($200 on amazon.com).  So is the 500x (~$160) a better model just for koreans or a lower quality model at a price point for korean mass market, or the same identical item at a price point for korean mass market?

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

If you're talking to me thanks, hmm still, the cans that aren't in korea aren't in korea it seems (there either) but I knew that already I guess.  It's not unusual for many types of products (audio and otherwise) to have models and brands conspicuously missing from the entire country.  Fortunately some amazon stores ship internationally but that doesn't help with trial.  Anyway, this conversation is a little odd.  

Edit: even worse for headphones... those guys don't seem to have KRK or beyerdynamics or Fischer Audio or the ATH-M50, on top of also not having the UE headphones (just iems like everywhere) or the KOSS PRODJ100 or any fostex under $2,000.  That's most of the entry level sealed over ear cans in the head-fi buying guide that they don't have, and going up in price they are even missing the Sennheiser momentum.  Of the one's I care, they just have the shure's and the akg.  For my purposes at least that place is almost completely useless if their online listings are accurate. I'm often underwhelmed by the real selection and prices in the big tech stores here though.

On the other hand popularity has a bunch to do with the written experience and trials of a few, and availability even.  There are a ton of ATH models there that are barely reviewed and not measured on in English sites like here and innerfidelity, like the ATH-A500Xto pick one at random, almost no attention over here but the one little review here is positive and now I see it seems to be an asian product market item.  Even on amazon it ships from Japanese stores.  So maybe Koreans know what models are good in Korea then.  Still that works out difficult for a foreigner unless you want to start from square one with nothing but your ears to narrow down the options.  Also if there's market segmentation you have to wonder why.  Prices are rarely cheaper here in Korea.  The ATH-A900X is listed at about $310 U.S. for instance at that store ($200 on amazon.com).  So is the 500x (~$160) a better model just for koreans or a lower quality model at a price point for korean mass market, or the same identical item at a price point for korean mass market?

yes fones are absent from the whole of korea it seems.
beyers esp are hard to find in shops, and some brands arent even imported here.
if you're buying, just go to enuri or danawa and search for it.
the a500x and a900x are different, and the latter can be found for $240ish. the former for a lil over a $100

May 15, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #33 of 57
I discovered this store after doing a search for the Audinst mx2. I was browsing the Korean language version of the Audinst website and they direct customers to this store to audition their products.

I'm planning on going there either this weekend or very soon after. Would anyone fancy a meetup perhaps? My girlfriend decided she definitely won't accompany me after witnessing my antisocial behaviour at the Yongsan headphone shops 
biggrin.gif

Speaking of which, those shops suck.

Anyways if anyone is interested in doing some social browsing I'm keen. I've not met another person IRL who shares this budding interest of mine, we could do beers after. Seoul meet!

May 22, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #35 of 57
Paid a visit today and spent some quality time with hd650 hd800 and beyerdynamic T1.

The shop is really great, very friendly staff who just let me pick up any phones I wanted and switch amps etc. Their headphone selection is not spectacular, but their IEM selection is quite extensive. No HiFiMan, which was disappointing, only two very early orthos that did not impress me much at all. They also don't stock very many desktop amps/dacs. I was hoping to pick up an Audinst MX2 but they were sold out.

Great tip selection too, Complys cost 16. They gave me a 'service' y splitter for my troubles :)

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #36 of 57
This is wonderful.  I live just south of Seoul in Bundang and have been looking for a place to test out some of the higher end Senns, Beyers, etc.  Tried Technomart and Yongsan but didn't find a whole lot.  

Thanks for the pics and information.

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #37 of 57
Visiting Seoul for two weeks and bought a used Momentum for 240,000 won (approx. $230 USD). Saw bunch of used HD650's go for about the same price. Truly a head-fi paradise 

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #38 of 57
I've been here so many times.

I came across them by chance one day years ago when I was doing music for a play in that area (famous for playhouses) and also my hospital is there so I dip in pretty from time to time. I always enjoy it. Mostly "eye-shopping" (or ear-shopping) as they say, but I have bought there a couple times in the past and they are always really nice.

-kp
seoul

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #39 of 57
Quote:
Visiting Seoul for two weeks and bought a used Momentum for 240,000 won (approx. $230 USD). Saw bunch of used HD650's go for about the same price. Truly a head-fi paradise 

Where did you buy used phones?

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #40 of 57
Looks like a good shop, for sure. I have not been to Seoul for at least 4 years, but I was not that impressed about the Seoul audio shops or their prices. In defense of Tokyo and Akihabara, I would like to rave about this well-hidden gem on a side street not far from Akihabara station, but slightly off the beaten track: 

http://www.e-earphone.jp/

If there is a better headphone & related gear and accessories store anywhere in the World, please let me now.

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #41 of 57
Just a friendly bump, and a question for you Seoulites: Have any of you found any other high-end headphone stores?

I made the trek to i-Park mall in Yongsan six months back but wasn't very impressed with the headphone selection. Sure, they had most of the flagships, but they were pretty stingy about letting me try their HD800, and their amp selection was next to non-existent.

I'd like to find a place near Seoul to try a T1 with a proper amp, as well as some of the higher end IEMs (ie800, SE846). There was (briefly) a place in Bundang just south of Seoul that had all those things, but the'y've been replaced by an Apple Store and the standard Beats / Momentum / Sony selection.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

May 13, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #43 of 57

This is the best place I've found in Seoul.  

http://www.schezade.co.kr
http://www.schezade.co.kr/etc_html/listening_room/room_1.html

Closest subway is Apgujeong Rodeo Station

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #45 of 57
Hello :) Pretty old thread - in Seoul now for a week.. Some updates about new shops / places to visit? Thanks a lot! 🙈

Users who are viewing this thread

Back